Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Possible New Camaro ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-05, 01:32 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Possible New Camaro ?

Article & more pics HERE
Old 04-16-05, 01:39 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen those before and word is it was by a designer not even affiliated with GM. If that were true, it would be the best GM design to come out since the original Corvette! They don't have the ***** though, they're busy making stupid decisions that are dooming a ressurection of RWD cars.

James
Old 04-16-05, 02:20 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have seen those pictures several months ago. I think its wishful thinking to believe that GM will bring back the camaro let alone use one of those really cool designs.
Old 04-16-05, 06:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The green one was posted a few months ago on CL.....I can't remember if AmethySC (SexySC back then) was the one who posted it or not.
I agree it would be nice to have a new retro-looking F-Body back. ...especially with the new retro-look Mustang back and considering what a POS the last F-bodies were, quality-wise. Given the choice, though, I think GM doing a new Firebird would be a better prospect ( if they don't have the funds or budget for both )....the Firebird always had more class than the Camaro.
Old 04-17-05, 11:00 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

First two pics resemble a Mustang, IMO, while the last one looks like a Corvette. Morphing the two designs into one car would make for a pretty hot ride, though.

GM seems to be turning some divisions around quite nicely, actually. The new Solstice is supposed to be like $19,995 including destination. I was thinking of getting a Miata in a couple years, but taking incentives into consideration, a Pontiac Solstice would be an amazing value deal at around that price.
Old 04-17-05, 11:41 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Not a bad looking car. The General should build something like that & soon! The Mustang has the entire market to themselves right now.
Old 04-17-05, 12:08 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's up with all these american cars going retro. Sure, it was nice to see this trend for a while, but every friggin car rolling out is going for this retro look. It almost seems Chevy/Dodge/Ford is running out of new design ideas.
Old 04-17-05, 01:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChronoJ1
What's up with all these american cars going retro. Sure, it was nice to see this trend for a while, but every friggin car rolling out is going for this retro look. It almost seems Chevy/Dodge/Ford is running out of new design ideas.
Well..........while modern enginering is nice ( I wouldn't want a car without it ), the retro styling is the industry's way of FINALLY admitting what guys like me and Lil4X have known for years. It is not so much the industry running out NEW design ideas as it is that they ran out of the best-looking ones 35 years ago. They tried to fix what wasn't broke.....and now they finally see that it wasn't broke to start with. Some people are just slow learners though.

That's not to say that all new designs are unneeded. Certainly the proliferation of boxy-shaped vehicles with AWD underscores the fact that many people find this exactly what they need, and of course these crossovers and small SUV's did not exist back then. These vehicles are useful for foul weather....something that very few 60's / 70's era vehicles were.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-17-05 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-17-05, 05:14 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

As long as American cars are being produced, mechanics nation wide have their jobs secure. They can make it look as good as they want but at the end of the day its still American and i wouldnt touch it with a stick

Also, isnt the Camaro supposed to be in production by 2008?
Old 04-17-05, 05:35 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well..........while modern enginering is nice ( I wouldn't want a car without it ), the retro styling is the industry's way of FINALLY admitting what guys like me and Lil4X have known for years. It is not so much the industry running out NEW design ideas as it is that they ran out of the best-looking ones 35 years ago. They tried to fix what wasn't broke.....and now they finally see that it wasn't broke to start with. Some people are just slow learners though.

That's not to say that all new designs are unneeded. Certainly the proliferation of boxy-shaped vehicles with AWD underscores the fact that many people find this exactly what they need, and of course these crossovers and small SUV's did not exist back then. These vehicles are useful for foul weather....something that very few 60's / 70's era vehicles were.
Maybe you're right that designs were great back then, but Americans have a thing for nostalgia. And not only that, designs in all sorts of industries, particularly fashion (clothing, etc) have cycles. Usually things that were in 20-25 years ago are in now. Like in the 90's, bell bottom pants became hip again. Similar thing looks to be happening in the car industry.

I wonder if that means Banglized designs will be retro'd in 20 years.
Old 04-17-05, 05:41 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

I see 300zx in the A$$ of those cars
Old 04-17-05, 05:42 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I dont mind the retro look, I think most of them look great, but my biggest concern is where do you go after a cars life span is over?? I havent seen one successful second generation retro model yet(well at least I can think of). It becomes more of a niche model and when they stop selling the manufacture gets upset and they lose out on money.
Old 04-17-05, 07:37 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Maybe you're right that designs were great back then, but Americans have a thing for nostalgia. And not only that, designs in all sorts of industries, particularly fashion (clothing, etc) have cycles. Usually things that were in 20-25 years ago are in now. Like in the 90's, bell bottom pants became hip again. Similar thing looks to be happening in the car industry.

I wonder if that means Banglized designs will be retro'd in 20 years.
Parachute pants are coming back in 10 years! RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!
Old 04-18-05, 03:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It isn't just a matter of going retro for retro's sake, or a bunch of aging guys like me trying to relive our youths. No, it goes much further than that.
The 1960's truly was a Golden Age in American automobile history which never saw anything like it before and most likely never will again. I'm not saying I'd want to go back to EVERYTHING the way it was back then.......carburators and breaker-point ignitions, for one thing were unreliable and a major PITA. But.....cars had class and personality, roads were uncongested, unlittered with traffic, speed bumps, and other obstacles, driving was fun, and you could get in you car and GO somewhere.....with scenery uncluttered by growth and development. Today you literally get in your car and sit still.....and look at shopping malls, housing developments, and office buildings everywhere. Gas was cheap by today's standards, though not necessarily by the income standards of the time. Automakers were free to design cars like they saw fit instead of having a bunch of bureaucrats in Washington tell them what to do.
That world completely fell apart in the 1970's, for many reasons .....(some, but not all, of which were avoidable) ......from growing congestion on the roads, expensive gas, emission controls, and a general lethargy and disinterest by the auto firms in what they were turning out, and we have never seen anything like it since in spite of recent muscle cars and the HP war.
Old 04-18-05, 12:07 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Retro or not, I think these are some dam good looking design, much better than Fords new Mustang.

Quick Reply: Possible New Camaro ?