Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Samsung/Radioshack 500 @ Texas Motor Speedway-Raceday- *PIX* (56k, dont even try)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-05, 03:52 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Samsung/Radioshack 500 @ Texas Motor Speedway-Raceday- *PIX* (56k, dont even try)

Ever wonder what the Nascar Experience is all about? I found out today. My S.O called me on friday and told me that he had tickets to the NASCAR Nextel Cup Race: Samsung RadioShack 500 this sunday. He said they are compliments of the United States Army. Free food, free admission and some of the best outdoor seats to be had.

So what else could i say? I said hell yeah.

^early morning, 730Am arrival at the speedway.

^the Army Booth. I felt stupid, because i was the only person there, who wasnt a recruiter, in uniform. :blink:

Headed to the pits with my free Pit pass and free Garage pass This is the track Pre race. the race started at noon, but i was there at 7:30. in this pic it is somewhere around 830am.

heading back to the garage area...

Recruiters...lots of em!

Next up...The pit area...
Old 04-17-05, 04:05 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

As you come around the corner, you will see:

^Cheerios Guys pumping up the tires...I got to keep a Lug nut from the Cheerio car (It will go on my New (to me) LS for good luck, when i get it).

^Pit crew guys, trying to get things done amidst the fans.

^Joe Nemecheck's Pit booth, he is the entire reason we were there. He drives the US Army car. (More on this later)

^more of Pit Road

^Ft. Hood Soldiers, Back from Iraq.
Old 04-17-05, 04:06 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

^The famous NASCAR Cutaway Car.
Old 04-17-05, 04:13 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

^Victory Lane

DALE EARNHARDT JR. IS SITTING ON TOP OF THAT THING, IN THE RED BUDWIESER SHIRT. :blink:

^Into the garage area, the cars are being pushed around for NASCAR Nextel Cup Official Inspection.
Old 04-17-05, 04:25 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

^Jeff Gordon is in there somewhere...standing right next to the left side of the car!

^Couldnt find Kevin Harvick for an Autograph

^there you can see Gordo a little bit better.

^'nuther car

^nuther car, complete with goofy lookin' guy...Hello!

^Bobby Labonte's Garage, you can see him standing there, dumbfounded at why his car wont run right...
Old 04-17-05, 04:33 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

^Up for Inspection!! This is where the cars get inspected to make sure they are all on an level playing feild, no Fuel addatives, making sure all the dimensions are correct, and all the cars weigh the same specified weight.

^Going in for NASCAR Official Inspection...

^Dale Jr. has his ducks in a row
(thought that was a neat pic, i didnt even mean to do it that way, but its how it turned out.)

^Sterling Marlin, STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO HIS CAR.
Old 04-17-05, 04:38 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Wow, that must have been real awsome to go to. Looks like you had a lot of fun. I personally never been a fan of Nascar races(but watched F1 once or twice), but I will tell you what, I would greatly enjoy and love the experience to walk the pit area and observe what it takes to get these cars to run day in and day out at such high speeds. Everything looks sooo intense. Can any regular fan walk the pit area, or do you need connections??

I had no idea that the Army had a Nascar car. Thats pretty cool. Have they won any races??
Old 04-17-05, 04:45 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

^More cars coming...and then...i saw it...the reason i was there...

^JOE NEMECHEK'S CAR!!!! BUT WAIT!!!...theres more...I turned around...and...

^ ITS JOE NEMECHEK!!! I met him, shook his hand and even got an autograph on a couple of things.

^ See!! (I took advantage of an earlier opportunity to get out of my uniform, it was already 80 degrees and it was only 930AM.) And i wish i would have stayed in Uniform, becuase i looked to my left and guess who was there...

^THE GENERAL OF THE ARMED FORCES OF TEXAS: Lt. General Metz
He was there specifically to thank me for Volunteering for Active Duty, isnt that special...ok, i lied, he was there for the race, but he thanked me anyway.
Old 04-17-05, 04:47 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by magneto112
Wow, that must have been real awsome to go to. Looks like you had a lot of fun. I personally never been a fan of Nascar races(but watched F1 once or twice), but I will tell you what, I would greatly enjoy and love the experience to walk the pit area and observe what it takes to get these cars to run day in and day out at such high speeds. Everything looks sooo intense. Can any regular fan walk the pit area, or do you need connections??

I had no idea that the Army had a Nascar car. Thats pretty cool. Have they won any races??

for a price, any fan can walk the pits and crew areas. Mine were Compliments of the US Army, not sure about the prices.
Old 04-17-05, 05:02 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

I hope im not going overboard with the pix! LOL...just trying to give you all as close to the full experience as possible

^They're off!

^ZOOOOOOOM...on the pace lap...LOL
Old 04-17-05, 05:18 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

^WOT...200+ MPH, and they get there in 20 seconds...

^ZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM (Go Dale Jr.!!!!)

^Coming around turn 4

^ First (and certianly not last) Wreck for the day. Bobby Labonte got tapped coming a round turn 4 on the 5th lap and slammed into the wall. the front of his car was destroyed, he later came back out with a new front ned, but he was some 40 laps behind.

^This car slid up into the wall to avoid Labonte, but he did it backwards...

^Labonte after the wreck.

well guys, thats not all i havem but i think you get the general Jist of things. If you want me to post the rest of them, let me know.

Suffice it to say, this was the best experience of my life. the most fun i have had in a VERY long time. If you ever get the chance to go, dont skimp, get the pit passes and Garage Passes. they are worth it!

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 04-17-05 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-17-05, 09:02 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good stuff AoO. I see the General is wearing the new Digital forest BDU's for the Army... cool beans. Its like looking into the Future!!! Its always good to take advantage of a commitment like joining the Army. Benefits galore if you think about it that way!!
Old 04-18-05, 08:47 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Yeah, he wore them to show wat they woul be like to the group of new recruits i was with. for the first hour or so, i was in the current Battle Dress Uniform, Jungle/Forest. I had snuick into a bathroon and changed not minutes before i met with the general (didnt knwo i was gonna be meeting him LOL).

There were ALOT of people that thanked me for my service while i ws there too. the general said he picked me out over all the recruits, he said he knew i already had some training by the way i walked and presented myself .

Standing amongst a group of recruits, i was not in uniform, he came though and asked everyone there MOS, and they were being ver disrepectful, IMO. Their faces were pointed at the ground as they mumbled "Infantrymen" or "Cook". when he got to me i was standing at "attention" (as is custom with ANY officer in your presence) and I saluted him. the following conversation ensued:

General: "Name and Rank Soldier"

Me: " Joshua Morrison, Private First Class, United States Army."

General Metz: "Wow soldier, thats some discipline you have behind you, have you been to basic yet?"

Me: "No Sir, General. I have been on DEP for over a year now, shipping out this wednesday sir. a small, 2 week hand-to-hand combat course is the extent of my training sir!"

General Metz: "Well, im overly Impressed by your discipline and respect. Parade Rest!"

*I returned to parade rest position, feet 12 inches apart, hands overlapping palms out behind back*

General Metz: "Whats your MOS, PFC Morrison?"

Me: "63 Bravo, Light Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic Sir!"

General Metz: "Well, men like you are exactly what this Army needs. Trust me, you will go far. If you ever need anything, give me a call"

*Hands me a businesscard with his info on it*

Me: "Thank you sir!. If its not too much trouble sir, May i ask the General for a photograph?"

General Metz: "By all means PFC Morrison...Show them what it means to be an Army of One"

*photgraph was taken*
*Salute*

Me: "Thank you General Sir, It is an honor"

General Metz: "No soldier, the honor is mine...Fall in"

*i took a step back and joined the recruits.

I had more fun there than i have had in a REALLY LONG time, definately a once in a lifetime experience. if you ever get the chance to go, free of charge or not, TAKE IT.

oh and BTW, Jason just informed me that he saw me on TV...cool!

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 04-18-05 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-18-05, 03:40 PM
BigJoeD
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tooo funny. I was out at the race on Sunday. I was at Turn 4. Lots of good crashes there Man, you couldnt ask for a better day. How appropriate that they did a tribute to the armed forces and Greg Biffle wins and he drives the National Guard car.
Old 04-18-05, 06:28 PM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Samsung/Radioshack 500 @ Texas Motor Speedway-Raceday- *PIX* (56k, dont even try)