Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dodge Hemi Charger Daytona R/T to enter production this summer

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-05, 07:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Dodge Hemi Charger Daytona R/T to enter production this summer

Dodge will produce a limited number of normally-aspirated Hemi-powered Charger Daytona R/T's, starting this summer, in the authentic 1970 yellow and orange colors. I remember the original ones well...the nickname for the high-performance Dodges back then was " Scat Pack ".

In 1970 there were three other extra-cost colors besides the yellow and orange...the "Tor-Lime" green, the Rally Red, and, my favorite, the violet-purple "Plum Crazy " . Dodge has not announced any plans for these three.

Eventually we will see the SRT-8 models with the 425 HP supercharged Hemi...but not this year.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=102186
Old 04-18-05, 09:17 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh gosh the puke is already starting to come up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-05, 03:30 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

The supercharged 5.7L is news to me. I think the title "Super Charger" as in the name of the car is confusing and doesn't actually refer to forced induction. As fas as what I've read the 425hp version will have the 6.1L hemi like the SRT-8 300.

I loved the old colors like you did but I don't think many people will either like them or buy them because I bet many of the purchasers won't even be aware that there was a Charger back in the muscle car's good 'ol days. Plum Crazy is a great color though!

James
Old 04-19-05, 03:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jet864
The supercharged 5.7L is news to me. I think the title "Super Charger" as in the name of the car is confusing and doesn't actually refer to forced induction. As fas as what I've read the 425hp version will have the 6.1L hemi like the SRT-8 300.

I

I think you're right, Jim....sorry, my error. The upcoming 425 HP Hemi will get its power from displacement, not forced induction.
Old 04-19-05, 04:10 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think you're right, Jim....sorry, my error. The upcoming 425 HP Hemi will get its power from displacement, not forced induction.
I find it funny you're just starting your day over on the East coast and I'm on the Left coast just about to hit the hay. Woohoo for 1:30 classes! Goodnight CL.

James
Old 04-19-05, 08:01 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

You know what, when I first saw pics of this model, I was kinda upset. It didnt look all that great to me. After seeing it the NYIAS, I think this car looks outstanding. I absolutely love the bright colors with the black spoiler and hood. Looks very racy. I dont think Dodge is expecting to sell a lot of them, I believe it a limited edition car. Most will probably buy it as a collectors car or just to be noticed and different. I also saw the Charger SRT-8 at the autoshow. Damn, that model looks sooo good. Very agressive design. The best part about the Charger line is the low price. These models come in at around 30K. Thats damn good for 340-350hp HEMI V8.

There were a few pics of these Daytonas being tested around a race course or drift course not to long ago at some Dodge event. I will try to find them. They looked awsome.