Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Lexus lineup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-05, 03:12 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't that just a current JDM Crown?

I hope it's not a precursor of any forthcoming Lexus. Lexus styling has taken a step forward, and to go with something like that would be 8 steps backwards.
Old 04-19-05, 03:16 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Yes that is the current JDM Toyota Crown models. I wouldn't mind taking a Crown Athlete.
Old 04-19-05, 03:31 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default it's all staged out for YOU!!!~~~

One thing for sure, the crown isnt coming to america period. Even the new IS which has been shown at the autoshows, ppl already know how it's going to look and all that and they still have them running around CA with body camo. Toyota is very secretive like that and I doubt if they were to bring the crown to america, they would leave them running on the streets without covers at all, specially in Michigan.

The question is what's under the hood?? the LS600h's hybrid engine? GS460 double vvti's v8?? variable suspension for the next LS, and God knows what other stuff.
Old 04-19-05, 03:40 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skulinex
One thing for sure, the crown isnt coming to america period. Even the new IS which has been shown at the autoshows, ppl already know how it's going to look and all that and they still have them running around CA with body camo. Toyota is very secretive like that and I doubt if they were to bring the crown to america, they would leave them running on the streets without covers at all, specially in Michigan.
Yup...that one in the pictures has to be simply imported privately. But as gsfour pointed out, it'd be interesting to know what the two gauges and devices are for. That's the only mystery left.
The question is what's under the hood?? the LS600h's hybrid engine? GS460 double vvti's v8?? variable suspension for the next LS, and God knows what other stuff.
Nah...it's just a regular Crown Athlete with a 3.0L 3GR-FSE, not that it's a bad thing.
Old 04-19-05, 03:41 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

It's not uncommon for us here in SoCal to see JDM Toyotas driven around for testing and media purposes especially near Toyota & Lexus HQ in Torrance. You will always see those JDM right hand cars drive around with their native badging camoflauged or not i.e. Toyota Voltz (Pontiac Vibe), Will concept, Yaris, Crown, and etc. They always drive around with the common CA MFG/DST plates designated for toyota 797 or Lexus' 27202 or even the MFG/DST Michigan specialty plates. Same goes for Nissan and Infinti w/562 , Honda and etc.

Old 04-19-05, 04:09 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
Yes that is the current JDM Toyota Crown models. I wouldn't mind taking a Crown Athlete.
I don't know much about it, but from the little I've heard it's a nice car. I'm just saying it'd be a big step backwards when Lexus is really making strides forward in their styling. Of course, as you could probably guess, I still think they can make improvements, but they're going in the right direction (forwards, not backwards).
Old 04-19-05, 04:16 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by jrock65
Wow, that is very interesting. Weird that it's got a Lexus badge on the steering wheel.

Could it be that Lexus is attempting the bifurcated, sport/luxury approach in the $40k to $60k class as well?

In the $30k to $40k class, Lexus has the IS for sport and the ES for pure luxury.

So, in the $40k to $60k class, will Lexus have the GS for sport and the "Crown" (or whatever the alpha-numeric designation will be) for pure luxury?

Maybe it'll just be sold as a $40k Toyota, above the Avalon. But that'll be weird to have a more luxurious and expensive Toyota than a Lexus (the ES). The new Avalon kinda oversteps the ES in many areas as it is.

What are the engine options for the Crown in Japan?
i believe the crowns are much the same things as the lexus models in japan, except smaller engiens and lower price tag, the reason the crowns out sell the lexus equivalents
Old 04-19-05, 04:59 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

i highly doubt that will be the next LS...it does not have any of the new design direction philosophies, and it does not have the new LEXUS GRILL...and if it was new, it would not be lying around like that with no camo
Old 04-19-05, 05:57 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

i was really in love with the crown before the new IS came out like 2 months ago and it was one of my all time favourite toyota. but,

honestly, crown was much more appealing to me in the JDM land, and it doesnt look too good in the USDM land. it's just me, i think.
i dont think it will make it to the US anytime soon and the idea of it being the replacement for next LS isnt possible since crown use only V6 and LS is way too much better than crown.

i rather take the next IS now.
Old 04-19-05, 08:22 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by DC52E55
i was really in love with the crown before the new IS came out like 2 months ago and it was one of my all time favourite toyota. but,

honestly, crown was much more appealing to me in the JDM land, and it doesnt look too good in the USDM land. it's just me, i think.
i dont think it will make it to the US anytime soon and the idea of it being the replacement for next LS isnt possible since crown use only V6 and LS is way too much better than crown.

i rather take the next IS now.
crown majesta and royal has the 4l V8, while the athlete only has the 2.5 V6
Old 04-19-05, 10:52 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xioix
crown majesta and royal has the 4l V8, while the athlete only has the 2.5 V6

i m not sure but i think majesta has 4.3L V8, same as the one u would find on LS430 and athelete uses 3.0V6
Old 04-19-05, 11:43 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by DC52E55
i m not sure but i think majesta has 4.3L V8, same as the one u would find on LS430 and athelete uses 3.0V6
the athlete does have the 3
havent checked in awhile, but i just checked and now it does uses the 3uz, but it also has 4wd, now i wonder why the new GS doesnt have that available

http://toyota.jp/crownmajesta/grade/grade/index.html#
Old 04-20-05, 04:06 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Why do people on other forums insist that the Crown line is coming to the US?? But what really gets me is that people are saying these stupid rumors about the Crown becoming a 4th Toyota line for the US that(wait...read carefully) will slot between Toyota and Lexus??!! WHERE!! HOW!! WHY!!! Am I missing something?? I dont understand why they are testing the Crown in the US and why the lady driving stated that they are testing it for the US without Camo, but it doesnt seem right at all. I dunno...more later.
Old 04-20-05, 04:21 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Default Toyota Crown Concept

I think the confusion is because of this:

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/crown.html

The Crown Concept's innovative styling and superior driving performance makes a shift in the Crown's concept of being "stationary" to being "active," raising the traditional feeling of hospitality to the world's highest level so as to propose the ideal for a next-generation luxury class sedan
And has been on the Toyota Motor Sales USA webpage for quite some time now.

Old 04-20-05, 04:37 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Yeah, but an entire new line and one in between Lexus and Toyota?? That has got to be the most insane thing I have ever heard. If the Avalon is clearly taking sales away from the ES line, then when create an entire line?? To confuse more people?? There are a lot of rumors going around about Toyota Motor Corp., but this one takes the cake. Its senseless and illogical.

If Toyota feels the need to create an entire new line for the US I feel that they would create a line that is priced higher than Lexus, putting it in the Ultra Luxo range, or a brand that focuses on Sport and Sport only.

Theres also a lot of other concepts on that page too, but people are getting a little rediculous with this rumor crap these days.

Quick Reply: New Lexus lineup?