Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

End of Ford Taurus closes era

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-05, 04:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
Source? (I'm not saying I doubt your info, but I'm wondering what the expectations were and what the actual sales numbers are coming in at.)
No problem. You have every right to question it.....this IS a car-chat forum.

The exact supply-demand ratio varies according to different websites, but all agree that demand for the AWD Five Hundred / Montego and the sibling wagon Freestyle strongly exceeds supply, partly from a shortage of the Volvo-derived Haldex AWD systems.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101757

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=20172

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000343031008/

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-22-05 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-22-05, 04:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No problem. You have every right to question it.....this IS a car-chat forum.

The exact supply-demand ratio varies according to different websites, but all agree that demand for the AWD Five Hundred / Montego and the sibling wagon Freestyle strongly exceeds supply, partly from a shortage of the Volvo-derived Haldex AWD systems.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101757

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=20172

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000343031008/
Damn, I had no idea. Good for Ford.

Old 04-24-05, 04:56 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While demand may be outpacing supply for AWD models, that alone doesn't mean anything good for Ford. Those inventory levels, even for the AWD, are far higher than they'd like to see for a bread-and-butter vehicle. Plus, those overall sales levels are pretty dismal.

This is actually BAD news for Ford! How many of those buyers who want an AWD Five Hundred are settling for the FWD version? Given the sales numbers, I'm betting they're taking their business to the competition. And it just goes to show that Ford's market research department is out of touch with what their consumers want.

And I just had to laugh at their audacity in even comparing the Montego to the A6, M35, and RL.
Old 04-24-05, 01:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

And I just had to laugh at their audacity in even comparing the Montego to the A6, M35, and RL.
Well......you're comparing apples and oranges here. The Five Hundred / Montego, even in AWD form, are $30,000 cars at most....and most will sell for less than that. The A6, M35, and RL are 40-50K. The RL (starting at 49K) is a great machine, no question about it........but is it worth the better part of twice what a Five Hundred costs? Not in my opinion.
Old 04-25-05, 05:48 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

But it wasn't my comparison. The Ford press release listed the Montego in comparison to those other cars, and explicitly stated what a "value" it was in comparison.

And here's one of those few areas where you and I disagree: I'd take one RL over two Montegos without a second thought.
Old 04-25-05, 07:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

But it wasn't my comparison. The Ford press release listed the Montego in comparison to those other cars, and explicitly stated what a "value" it was in comparison.

And here's one of those few areas where you and I disagree: I'd take one RL over two Montegos without a second thought.
I don't think you and I really disagree. I would take almost any Acura product.......including the RL..... over almost any Ford product myself. I'm just not sure that the RL is worth 50K, that's all. An AWD Five Hundred is probably worth 28-30K....but just barely.
Old 04-26-05, 05:51 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm just not sure that the RL is worth 50K, that's all.
I'm disappointed in myself for admitting this, but I think you might be right. I've started seeing more new RL's on the road (still have only seen one new GS and no new M35/45's), and it just doesn't have the PRESENCE of a car in that price class. I'm still wowed by the feature set and apparent build quality, but the however-many-years-old-it-is-last-gen-GS design still turns my head more than the brand-new RL does. Maybe the new GS will be the same--a more bland luxo-sedan that blends in with the crowd.

Has anyone else noticed how aggressively Infiniti is advertising the new M (with some pretty ****-poor ads, I must ad) and Audi is pushing the new A6?
Old 04-26-05, 07:36 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I have seen a few RL's now and think they look like expensive cars. They just went with a more pointed angular elegant look which some may not associate with modern luxury cars. When I saw a red M35 I thought it looked like a Nissan Altima and not an expensive luxury car and the new GS especially from the rear does not look like a high end car to me. I did see a gray M45 sport that did look good and more like an expensive car a few days ago. Sometimes it depends on color. The new GS looks alot better in black to me. I have sat in all cars and the RL interior does look and feel like a $50,000 car as well as the others especially considering you get everything from NAV, high end DVD-A soundsystem, bluetooth standard on the RL. Only problem with the M35 interior is that 70's TV stand looking wood. Infiniti needs more options on wood color like a light maple or darker cherry. Most dealers are selling the RL for around 45-46 now to be more competetive with base M and GS models. I feel the RL was a little overpriced especially when you compare it to a TL but the RL is doing very well in car mag tests and comparisons. I would not even consider a Ford Five Hundred if I was in the market for an RL nor do any car mags. More of an Avalon, Bonneville, Impala, Lesabre, and Maxima competetor.