Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac Competitve...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-05, 11:39 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cadillac Competitve...

I was reading the Washington Post Auto section and Warren Brown test vehicles for the paper. Anyway here is a write-in to his weekly chat session:

Glen Burnie, Md.: Hello Warren:

I love your honesty about the whole industry. I drive a 1998 Cadillac SLS and am looking to trade it in for another luxury auto. How do the Lexus, and Infiniti compare to Cadillac?

Warren Brown: Hello, Glen Burnie:
Both Lexus and Infiniti make excellent cars, although those models can have problems, too--as evidenced by consumer complaints now sitting in my "Check This" file. Cadillac is competitive with both brands, and may be better than them in engineering. GM just needs to get all of its players to understand that it cannot possibly continue paying out enormous sums in pensions and healthcare and spend the same amount of money on tactile quality--materials, et cetera--that can be spent by rivals such as Toyota, which aren't burdened by the same costs.
And I say that as a person who, as most of you know, spends enormous sums of insurance and other money on medical care.
Congress keeps messing around with stupid issues that have little to do with anything. We all should hold Congress and the White House to task for getting serious about health care. It is a very real matter of life and death, corporate and personal. Voters need to get outraged about congressional dilly-dallying on this issue.

Thought I would share thought it was funny considering. I am always driving my cousin to pickup his STS in my GS at the local Cadillac dealer 3-4 times a month.

Moderator hope I posted in correct forum.
Old 04-20-05, 12:35 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What complaints is he referring to? I haven't heard of any :uhh
Old 04-20-05, 07:20 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder what the author considers "engineering". As an engineer by training and trade, I see nothing, NOTHING in the Cadillac line that indicates equity with, let alone superiority in engineering skill to the Japanese. And how does he get off blaming Congress for GM's problems with pensions and health care? Like it's my problem as a taxpayer to somehow cover that corporation's inane decisions and illogical pandering to ridiculous union demands over the years...
Old 04-20-05, 08:26 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I felt the same way when I read it. Wondering if GM is paying his pension.
Old 04-21-05, 08:11 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Iceman
I wonder what the author considers "engineering". As an engineer by training and trade, I see nothing, NOTHING in the Cadillac line that indicates equity with, let alone superiority in engineering skill to the Japanese. And how does he get off blaming Congress for GM's problems with pensions and health care? Like it's my problem as a taxpayer to somehow cover that corporation's inane decisions and illogical pandering to ridiculous union demands over the years...
Word.

Caddy is competative and the new STS is a very good car but over a GS/LS or a M45, I don't think so