Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

anyone have info on the new skyline?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-05, 11:47 AM
blaznsc4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone have info on the new skyline?

my friend told me that there's gona be a skyline gtr coming to the states like next year or 2007? i heard its gona be around the 500bhp mark v8 engine and its gona cost around 60kish. anyone have any info on the new skyline?
Old 04-22-05, 12:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by blaznsc4
my friend told me that there's gona be a skyline gtr coming to the states like next year or 2007? i heard its gona be around the 500bhp mark v8 engine and its gona cost around 60kish. anyone have any info on the new skyline?
From my understanding it will be another FM car, with the VQ engine possibly slightly enlarged with turbos. It seems it will be a Nissan instead of an Infiniti, and the car is looking to beat the 911 turbo for much less money. It should be shown in near production form this fall at the Toykyo Auto Show.

The V-8 was not chosen b/c it was too heavy they decided. Price I dunno, debut, 2007/2008 sounds freasible.
Seach under Skyline or GT-R, we have spoken about this a few times.

Old 04-22-05, 03:23 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

here is the latest news

courtesy of Rezz at Skylines Australia.

2005 GT-R Concept

After 3 solid years of speculation, CG concepts by Nissan design teams - not to mention the plethora of CG images produced by Nissan fans - we will get the final word from Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn regarding the Next GT-R. The 39th Tokyo Motor Show (Oct 19 - Nov 6, 2005) will be the venue where all the speculation and rumors stop when the 2005 GT-R Concept vehicle is uncovered.

Without a doubt the main feature at the 39th Tokyo Motor Show will be the Next GT-R. No other single vehicle has caused as much hype amongst the international Nissan fan base as this car. Nissan have been watching the international reaction to various rumors, spy photos, concept drawings and the like, and will take it upon themselves to officially state the Next GT-R's design, new components and capabilities, aim of the car, and price. Nissan may even answer the question that's confused a number of enthusiasts up until now: the chassis designation. Whether it's UA-CPV35 GT-R, or due to the '07 release date, UA-CPV36 GT-R, or another chassis code altogether, Nissan will need to explain why, if the GT-R is to drop it's connection with the Skyline, would they need to incorporate the Skyline's traditional four round tail lights.

Sources in Japan have already scooped the Next GT-R's FR transaxle, twin motor-assisted turbos and 'e-4WD' - drive to the front wheels provided by electric motors powered by Lithium batteries. All these mechanisms are unique to the Next GT-R and will lead the way for other car manufacturers to make use of such technological advances in their own vehicle line-ups. One hotly contested feature of the Next GT-R is it's rumored engine, the VQ32DETT. International speculation has sprouted all sorts of configurations: N/A and turbo V8's, large capacity V6's, even rebirth of the legendary RB26DETT. But no other engine configuration has been quoted more times in Japan than the 3.2 liter V6 twin turbo.

The rumored VQ32DETT engine has been developed in conjunction with Cosworth (UK) and the basic design of the V6 twin turbo - 3.0 liter guise - has seen two full seasons already in the Japanese JGTC (Japan GT Championship) racing series, which VQ powered cars have won consecutively in the last two years. The rigors of JGTC racing and advances in turbo design should put to rest any doubts about a twin turbo V6 configuration not being able to withstand the treatment expected from a US market not familiar with a top level performance turbo offering from Nissan. The concern over how the US market would receive a medium capacity V6 turbo powered GT car from Nissan has brought forth all kinds of rumored engine configurations, none of which have had any mention within the Japanese media for at least two years. It seems practically all the rumors regarding engines other than the VQ32DETT have originated from the very market that is concerned about the reliability of a turbo V6 powered GT car from Nissan (or in the North American market, Infiniti) as opposed to the supposedly better reliability a larger capacity naturally aspirated engine of similar output could offer.

Much importance has been placed on the effective use of underbody aerodynamics, as well as keeping a clean, muscular shape devoid of any large spoilers which were such a signature of the superseded R34 Skyline GT-R. 20-inch alloy wheels and a mix of carbon fiber (bonnet, seat frames, drive shafts, rear diffusers) and aluminum (roof, door panels, rear tailgate) will also feature on a car that is every bit as exotic as it is technologically advanced. The disappointment felt by Japanese Nissan enthusiasts about the controversial tail lights of the V35 Skyline Sedan upon it's release back in 2001 - no trademark circular lights or 'hotplates' - has seen Nissan make a complete about face... even releasing the V35 Skyline Sedan Series II with circular LED arrays to try and convince the Japanese domestic market that they haven't forsaken the Skyline heritage. What this means is that despite the multitude of CG images gracing the internet and magazines all sporting slightly weak attempts at 'hotplate' tail light designs, the Next GT-R will definitely include the four round tail lights that have become the defining feature of the GT-R since the early 1970's... even though Carlos Ghosn has hinted that the Next GT-R won't be associated with the Skyline range anymore.

The motto of the Next GT-R that has been thrown around more than a few times amongst the Japanese media is 'More Super-Sports than you can imagine'. You can be sure that Nissan won't disappoint this time around, as so many Nissan enthusiasts in Japan have expressed their disapproval of the 2001 Tokyo Motor Show Concept GT-R. Look for more details to come to light as October approaches straight from Japan... so it certainly will be an exciting year for GT-R enthusiasts the world over. Expect to see the Next GT-R released in December 2007.
Old 04-22-05, 03:27 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

b) Porsche 911 Turbo is going down... in fact, it seems Nissan are already claiming victory (???)... such is their confidence after the Nurburgring tests. Apparently, the first test failed because some driveline hardware was faulty, but the subsequent 2 tests were successful enough for Nissan to make final decisions on the driveline: 3.2L V6 Twin electric-assisted Turbo, FR-L platform (Primary Front engine/Rear wheel drive transaxle, motor-assisted front wheel drive or "e-4WD") with Getrag 7-speed sequential gearbox.

After much deliberation about 3.0, 3.5 and even 4.1L capacities for the VQ engine, they've decided on 3.2. The thing to bear in mind here is the Porsche 911 Turbo... it seems Nissan may want to defeat Porsche with less capacity...

Expected final power output: 480ps @ 7,200rpm, 58.0kg/m @ 5,200rpm.

c) Other specs of note are the "semi-wet sump" (as opposed to the dry sump originally quoted) and the aluminum space frame, steel cabin and bulk usage of carbon throughout.

Source: Autoweek Forums
Old 04-22-05, 03:37 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Most people on the infiniti and nissan forums pretty much believe it will be an infiniti though many would want it to be a nissan just to keep the nissan skyline GT-R name. It would make no sense to make it a nissan in the US because almost no one knows what a skyline GT-R is except for car enthusiasts. Also, why have another sports car in the lineup if the Z already fills that area. Selling the GT-R in the 40-50k range would steal sales away from the Z and G35 making it a very bad move. The way i see it, they should just make it infiniti's halo car. I just cant find a place for it except to be above the M45s price range--Considering the rumors of an upcoming M45 coupe. Also, if they do make it a nissan and keep the skyline GT-R name, it would make no sense since the G35 is the nissan skyline 350GT. More than likely it will be an infiniti since nissan already trademarked the name Infiniti GT-R in the US. We will only truly find out everything about it in november
Old 04-22-05, 03:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Xenthar
Most people on the infiniti and nissan forums pretty much believe it will be an infiniti though many would want it to be a nissan just to keep the nissan skyline GT-R name. It would make no sense to make it a nissan in the US because almost no one knows what a skyline GT-R is except for car enthusiasts. Also, why have another sports car in the lineup if the Z already fills that area. Selling the GT-R in the 40-50k range would steal sales away from the Z and G35 making it a very bad move. The way i see it, they should just make it infiniti's halo car. I just cant find a place for it except to be above the M45s price range--Considering the rumors of an upcoming M45 coupe. Also, if they do make it a nissan and keep the skyline GT-R name, it would make no sense since the G35 is the nissan skyline 350GT. More than likely it will be an infiniti since nissan already trademarked the name Infiniti GT-R in the US. We will only truly find out everything about it in november
Thanks for the info. I agree but Infiniti does not exist where the R34 was sold at. Infiniti is mostly a USA brand. So how could they sell it as an Infiniti, if its a world car? Infiniti does not exist in Europe or Japan, Nissan does. It would cost billions to make Infiniti global to launch this car and does Nissan want to do that? And I am afraid it would be watered down some, to mix some luxury with the sport.

Whatever it will be, it will be BADAZZ

Old 04-22-05, 04:48 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

That is the first I heard of electric power to the front wheels and I am unsure if that is a good idea. I hope this is not going to make this GTR into a 3400lb+ car with the weight of the batteries and using hybrid motors in high performance cars is not the best way to go unless Nissan has developed something that keeps the batteries charged during long high speed runs and they are reliable. The electric turbos were speculated a while back and there was a debate that the USA version would get a v-8 since many Americans will not pay very high prices for v-6 powered sports cars and consider then inferior to v-8's even if they are turbocharged, which is one of the reasons the 90's japanese supercars did not sell very well and Corvettes outsold them. I would assume that the GTR will be initially sold as an Infiniti since Americans are more willing to put down alot more money when buying a nicer namebrand and this car is not going to be cheap. It would be a tough sale for a Nissan since most people do not know what a Skyline is and are not going to pay 45+ thousand for it but they may get a less powerful cheaper version later. On pricing Nissan said it would be about twice the 350Z but depending on trim level this could mean 52-72 thousand. Porche is the only company that can get away with charging high prices for 6 cylinder sports cars in America but its a flat 6 that enthusiasts consider exotic and performance bred where if the GTR uses a v-6 people associate that with family sedans so I would assume they would have trouble justifying a price over 55,000 considering a Skyline has no history in the U.S. and a 40,000 corvette has 400hp and will probrably offer the same acceleration. 480 hp is a big jump over the estimated 330 hp the last Skyline really put out but it may need all that power if it ends up being heavy. I hope Nissan is not too secretive of the GTR because many people including myself are loosing interest in this car as it keeps being pushed back.
Old 04-22-05, 04:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
That is the first I heard of electric power to the front wheels and I am unsure if that is a good idea. I hope this is not going to make this GTR into a 3400lb+ car with the weight of the batteries and using hybrid motors in high performance cars is not the best way to go unless Nissan has developed something that keeps the batteries charged during long high speed runs and they are reliable. The electric turbos were speculated a while back and there was a debate that the USA version would get a v-8 since many Americans will not pay very high prices for v-6 powered sports cars and consider then inferior to v-8's even if they are turbocharged, which is one of the reasons the 90's japanese supercars did not sell very well and Corvettes outsold them. I would assume that the GTR will be initially sold as an Infiniti since Americans are more willing to put down alot more money when buying a nicer namebrand and this car is not going to be cheap. It would be a tough sale for a Nissan since most people do not know what a Skyline is and are not going to pay 45+ thousand for it but they may get a less powerful cheaper version later. On pricing Nissan said it would be about twice the 350Z but depending on trim level this could mean 52-72 thousand. Porche is the only company that can get away with charging high prices for 6 cylinder sports cars in America but its a flat 6 that enthusiasts consider exotic and performance bred where if the GTR uses a v-6 people associate that with family sedans so I would assume they would have trouble justifying a price over 55,000 considering a Skyline has no history in the U.S. and a 40,000 corvette has 400hp and will probrably offer the same acceleration. 480 hp is a big jump over the estimated 330 hp the last Skyline really put out but it may need all that power if it ends up being heavy. I hope Nissan is not too secretive of the GTR because many people including myself are loosing interest in this car as it keeps being pushed back.
The GT-R already weighed in excess of 3400lbs. And I still ove it

I did a search with the united states patent and trademark office and found the following results of interest:
you can search yourself here: http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?...glish&p_d=trmk
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?r...entry=76381543
NISSAN GTR

Filed on March 12, 2002

(APPLICANT) NISSAN JIDOSHA KABUSHIKI KAISHA TA Nissan Motor Co., Ltd

Why would nissan file for "nissan GTR" in the US in 2002?

they also filed for an extension on 08-10-2004

I found another request also made on March 12 2002 for "nissan GTR" in australia

http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/a..._number=905985
Nissan GTR in canada too

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/SSG/1133/trdp113330600e.html

and Infiniti R spec
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/SSG/1163/trdp116328300e.html

However what puzzles me is that in australia they also registered "Infiniti GTR"
http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/a...number=1005792
and the UK
http://webdb1.patent.gov.uk/RightSit...imnum=E3875507

but why not in the US? Any Ideas?

On a side note "infiniti R spec" is filed by nissan on DEC 10, 2002 meaning that we can expect the R SPEC parts talked about in the 2001 press release quoted below.
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?r...entry=76476233
Attached Thumbnails anyone have info on the new skyline?-r34.jpg  

Last edited by LexFather; 04-22-05 at 05:06 PM.

Old 04-23-05, 09:04 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The GT-R already weighed in excess of 3400lbs. And I still ove it

I did a search with the united states patent and trademark office and found the following results of interest:
you can search yourself here: http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?...glish&p_d=trmk
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?r...entry=76381543
NISSAN GTR

Filed on March 12, 2002

(APPLICANT) NISSAN JIDOSHA KABUSHIKI KAISHA TA Nissan Motor Co., Ltd

Why would nissan file for "nissan GTR" in the US in 2002?

they also filed for an extension on 08-10-2004

I found another request also made on March 12 2002 for "nissan GTR" in australia

http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/a..._number=905985
Nissan GTR in canada too

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/SSG/1133/trdp113330600e.html

and Infiniti R spec
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/SSG/1163/trdp116328300e.html

However what puzzles me is that in australia they also registered "Infiniti GTR"
http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/a...number=1005792
and the UK
http://webdb1.patent.gov.uk/RightSit...imnum=E3875507

but why not in the US? Any Ideas?

On a side note "infiniti R spec" is filed by nissan on DEC 10, 2002 meaning that we can expect the R SPEC parts talked about in the 2001 press release quoted below.
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?r...entry=76476233
I dunno man...its weird. Maybe they are trying to screw around with the world. If anything, i think it will remain a nissan in europe and japan, etc, but for the US and Korea, it will be an infiniti.
Old 04-24-05, 12:31 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen pics of a G35 test mule flying around the Nurnburgring with kind of flared fenders.