Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Golden Crown: Toyota's staple reaches 50 years (pics galore)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-05 | 09:00 AM
LexFather

Default Golden Crown: Toyota's staple reaches 50 years (pics galore)

This guy wrote it up on the VW forum and I thought it was an amazing piece.
http://forums.thecarlounge.net/zerothread?id=1936477

Originally Posted by David Votoupal
Well it's been some time coming, but I felt that being 2005 it was high time I did more threads on milestones reached this year and this one will of course centre on Toyota's Crown line.

It may seem inconceivable now, but a homely four-cylinder sedan which broke cover in 1955 would in fact be the first of a line which would be one of Toyota's, and Japan's, most popular and enduring line of large sedans. The original Crown was indeed far removed from what it would become over the next few decades. Its separate chassis construction and R series four-cylinder engines would, however, remain a feature of Crowns over the next few decades. The S30 series would remain in production until 1962, establishing itself as Japan's leading family sedan and also saw life on export markets albeit barely making a ripple at the time.

With the second generation S40 series which was introduced in 1962, the Crown was a bigger, more modern-looking and much better car. This generation of Crown would make its mark on both domestic and export markets, and as time went on the level of power and luxury increased as well. 1965 saw the introduction of the first six-cylinder engine, the M Series. This OHC motor was an excellent engine for its day, and would prove so good it would be a Toyota mainstay for a quarter of a century.

In 1964, Toyota would raise their game even further with the Crown Eight. Whilst it resembled the regular Crown, it was a bigger car overall and even boasted its own designation (VG10) to indicate its difference, which would prove significant. This luxury sedan boasted Japan's first passenger car V8 motor, a 2.6-litre V series unit. The Crown Eight signified the rising standards of Japan's car industry at the time, and the remarkable progress made in such a short period of time. It would be replaced in 1967 by the Century, which inherited the "G" model designation and an enlarged V engine. But that's a story for another day!

The S50 was launched in 1967 and featured further improvements with a greater emphasis on the six-cylinder models and also rising levels of luxury. Toyota already had big car competition from Nissan and to an extent Mitsubishi. But the Crown provided no little choice, with its first two-door hardtop debuting in this series. At this time, more and more Crowns were seen on export markets including Europe, North America and Australia.

The Crown would take a dramatic and different turn with the next series, called S60/S70, in 1971. The curvy, close-coupled styling was quite attractive and very different from the conservative norms of Japanese domestic design. The 2-door hardtop in particular is an eyeful. The 2.6-litre 4M motor providing better performance and Super Saloon trim level with everything that opened and shut raised things to a yet higher level as the Crown became a full-fledged executive car. However, this generation of Crown had the misfortune of being up against Nissan's more conservative but highly attractive 230 series Cedric and seemed to lose the sales race- the only time it would ever do so.

Perhaps this explains why the next series, the S80/S100 would be introduced just three years later instead of the normal four years in Japan. The same basic engineering which characterised previous Crowns- four and six-cylinder motors, ladder frame construction (this btw lends itself to Supra turbo engine swaps which by all accounts are dead easy to do). The styling was more conservative, it appeared bigger and certainly more regal, yet it was so 70s cool. The permuations became more complex, too. 2.0 fours, 2.0 and 2.6 sixes, 2.2 diesels; sedans, pillard hardtops, two-door hardtops, vans and wagons; take your pick... but it did the job and the Crown regained its place as Japan's premier large sedan. The Royal Saloon was introduced as an extra-rich flagship, like putting icing on an already iced cake

The next two generations of Crown, the S110 in '79 and S120 in '83, would follow a boxy styling path but the basic Crown virtues remained unchanged while levels of power and luxury continued to rise. And the Crown would remain very popular at home, though its presence outside Asia gradually withered away. The S130 of 1987 would be the last generation to use a separate frame, although its wagons would last through the 90s. Originally topped off by the 3.0-litre six, the final evolution of the immortal M series motors, it would be joined by the 4.0-litre V8 towards the end of its run.

With the S130 series of 1991, the Crown switched to unitary construction with a new six-cylinder engine. Both would be shared with the Aristo aka Lexus GS series, but the Crown maintained a softer, more conservative image. The Majesta model which followed had a longer wheelbase and V8 engine, establishing yet another Crown tradition. The S150 of 1995 merely continued that.

The S170 of 1999 would be the last to utilise inline sixes, but yet it would be one of the best Crowns to date. The nameplate's somewhat stodgy image would change with this model, with stiffer suspension settings fitted to all models along with very classy interiors. This Crown, as with previous generations, was a success. With the latest generation introduced at the start of last year, Toyota would switch to V6 power for its mainstay rear-drivers. But the basic forumula is still there, and there's no reason to change it...

Twelve generations of Crown over 50 years have overseen the spectacular growth and development of Toyota, the Japanese car industry and Japan as a nation. You could even say that the history of the Crown is indeed the history of Japan and its car industry, being there the whole time as it grew and grew. Crowns, to me, have never been less than cool and have never been impossible to like- and that's the way it should be, with any enduring pillar of an industry. And for that, we with the Crown a happy 50th birthday in 2005. Long may it continue!

Old 04-24-05 | 09:01 AM
LexFather

Old 04-24-05 | 09:02 AM
LexFather

Ya'll know I love some history, I love these next pics.

Old 04-24-05 | 09:03 AM
LexFather

These 2 were spotted in LA

Old 04-24-05 | 09:20 AM
Lexobenz
Pit Crew

Any1 know how these 2 Crown's got to LA?... were those mfgr plates on the car? ... I'd sure LOVE to buy a late model crown! ... Rhd no prob
Old 04-24-05 | 10:29 AM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

the new crown is beautiful
Old 04-24-05 | 10:50 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Lexobenz
Any1 know how these 2 Crown's got to LA?... were those mfgr plates on the car? ... I'd sure LOVE to buy a late model crown! ... Rhd no prob
Toyota Motor Sales Headquarters test vehicles. We here in SoCal are fortunate to have Toyota HQ in our backyard and get to see these JDM cars driving around our streets all the time.
Old 04-24-05 | 11:41 AM
Lexobenz
Pit Crew

WOW! I love em! ...If only they were able to be imported (even semi-cost effectively) ...
Old 04-24-05 | 02:25 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

I like the way Toyota designed the Crown with its own emblems from the front grill, air bag, center console and the rear deck. After 50 years I think you don't have to say much when somebody ask you " What kind of the car you drive?", all you have to say is " Crown"
Old 04-24-05 | 04:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by VVT-i
I like the way Toyota designed the Crown with its own emblems from the front grill, air bag, center console and the rear deck. After 50 years I think you don't have to say much when somebody ask you " What kind of the car you drive?", all you have to say is " Crown"
That's the case w/many Toyota models in Japan. The Corolla started that way, Altezza, Celica, Soarer, Harrier, Kluger V, and the list goes on an on. The cars w/their own badges don't have a Toyota sombrero logo on it.
Old 04-24-05 | 04:29 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
That's the case w/many Toyota models in Japan. The Corolla started that way, Altezza, Celica, Soarer, Harrier, Kluger V, and the list goes on an on. The cars w/their own badges don't have a Toyota sombrero logo on it.
Thanks for the info. I don't know about that, but it's cool. I wish Toyota import the Crown to U.S and I'm sure it will be one of the big hit. Or the Crown is too close to the Avalon.
Old 04-24-05 | 06:10 PM
xioix
Racer
CL Folding 200000

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Thanks for the info. I don't know about that, but it's cool. I wish Toyota import the Crown to U.S and I'm sure it will be one of the big hit. Or the Crown is too close to the Avalon.
to close to lexus
Old 04-24-05 | 06:13 PM
redkingjoe
Lead Lap

most of taxi in HK and Japan uses crown "comfort" series. as i live in HK, i ride on crown comfort almost 3-4 times a week.

1 it's very spacious at the back seat, even a little bit more spacious than my 2000LS400.
2 comfortable ride but not as comfortable and refine as the LS400. a little bit better than my "95ES300
3 it uses LPG and very quite
4 very reliable: most of the taxi in HK run 20 hours per day 7 days a week...and when i talked to chauffeur a crown comfort can last over 900,000km easily without major/minor repairs and only needs routine maintainence
5 it's a "chauffeur" car...so most of the ppl in HK and japan won't buy unless they have a chauffeur...also most of the "good things" (vcd, message seat...)are put in the back seat
Old 04-24-05 | 07:11 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Im not sure, but did the V8's come with a 5-speed manual? Im pretty sure I rid in a Taxi with the same specs, but it could have been the V6.
Old 04-24-05 | 08:31 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

I love the Crowns. They were brought into Australia until the S130 series. I saw a couple in the Philippines (they got quite a few imports over there, from US and Japan).

Quick Reply: Golden Crown: Toyota's staple reaches 50 years (pics galore)