Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

who's driven a miata?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-05, 10:21 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default who's driven a miata?

Hello fellas.

Who here has driven a miata, or mx-5? To me the car doesn't look all that great. In fact, it's like a Mickey Mouse Kart to me. But I've heard miata corners really well.

I've sat in a Miata once, on the passenger side: the nose of the car looks really long. It must have been the roadster vision. I don't see how that car can be easily manuevered in city driving in L.A. I hope I won't hit anyone with that car....
Old 04-26-05, 11:55 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u dont see how it can be easily manuvered in LA city driving? its small, short wheelbase.... good handling... whats the problem? i havent driven one but they are reknowned fun driving cars... i will probably consider getting one as a second car at some point.... they are supposed to be incredibly fun and the mazdaspeed version is turbocharged!
Old 04-27-05, 01:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i haven't driven one but i have sat in one, that's one damn nice little car with very very good handling. i probably wouldn't get one though, but it's very fun to drive
Old 04-27-05, 01:55 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've driven an older model (90 or so I think) for about a week and it was a blast to drive. The shifter has a very short throw. Not as short as an NSX, but feels much better than aftermarket short throw shifters since it is short but not stiff. Gears go in with east, clutch is soft, throttle is good especially since the one I drove was only rated at low 100 HP or so. Handling as it turned out is good as well. At first I was affraid to push it, but the longer you drive it the more you get used to it and the more confidence you get to push and it never let me down. I probably wouldn't but one myself since I don't like convertables, but I can see why people love them as a track car.
Old 04-27-05, 03:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I've driven several of the first and second-generation ones, mostly to test and inspect them for potential buyers.....both 5-speed and automatic versions (yes, they come with automatics).

The interior is simply too small for my 6' 2" 280-lb. frame. I would rate the driving position as adequate for an adult no larger than about 5' 8" or so and around 180-200 lb. The fabric top (or the optional bolt-on roof ) is just too low for tall people. You end up looking right into the top windshield header. It is difficult to recline the seat because the back of the seat has no place to go....the compartment in back for the drop-top prevents normal rake adjustment, so you have to slide the bottom of the seat forward to recline the back, and this scrunches both of your legs and knees around the non-adjustable steering wheel (which is also too low for long and heavy legs). So then then working the clutch becomes awkward with a outward bent left leg. (This is one reason they make an automatic version).

As far as driving it goes, the cornering is a blast. Compared to normal family sedans (and even some sport sedans) the response is go-kart-like. It is a excellent car for twisty roads, but as usual with this type of suspension, short wheelbase, low height, and light weight, the ride is quite stiff and the noise level high.....both too much so for my tastes.
The engine, IMO, is borderline underpowered torque-wise below about 3000 RPM or so but fine above that......just about right for my tastes.......not too sluggish or overpowered. The shift linkage is short, direct, precise, but with fairly heavy effort...it does not glide smoothly from gear-to-gear like the Honda Civic. The 5-speed is geared way too short for highway cruising...the engine buzzes away on Interstates even in 5th gear. The 5-speed is DEFINITELY not a car for long-distance cruising.....perhaps the 6-speed, which I have not driven, will help address that problem with a taller top gear.

While luggage and cargo space is not bad for a car of this type,...... ( and MUCH better than the Toyota MR2's )......you will quickly find out that this is NOT a Dodge Caravan. Best advice here is to travel light......which of course fits in with the car being unsuitable for long-distance cruising to start with.

The car seems well made, with good material and assembly quality and without much of the usual convertible rattles, squeaks, and body flex. This, of course, was one of the car's original objectives...........to combine British sports-car character with modern Japanese reliability....and it has certainly succeeded.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-27-05 at 04:07 AM.
Old 04-27-05, 06:46 AM
juniorsdad
Lead Lap

sat in several
not made for guys over 6' tall
Old 04-27-05, 06:49 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm almost 5'11" & I find it small & uncomfortable, a fun little car to drive though . . .
Old 04-27-05, 07:18 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have one, a '93. It's the wifus' car. It's been bulletproof the last 7 years. Great on gas. She's 4'11" so the size is no problem for her.

Fun to drive, albiet rather slow. I imagine the new turbo'ed version has some pull to it and would be a hoot. I need to drive one of those.

I'd buy another one (for her that is). Great little cars IMO, not for everybody, which is true of almost everything.
Old 04-27-05, 12:26 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

When I lived in the SF Bay area, I commuted to work with my buddy who had one. Nice car but way too small for me. I had to recline in the seat to avoid hitting my head. Also, never really felt safe in it along I580 with all the truck traffic. Sometime, I felt like we were in the Grand Canyon. You could literally see the undersides of the big rig trailers.
Old 04-27-05, 01:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rheiy
When I lived in the SF Bay area, I commuted to work with my buddy who had one. Nice car but way too small for me. I had to recline in the seat to avoid hitting my head. Also, never really felt safe in it along I580 with all the truck traffic. Sometime, I felt like we were in the Grand Canyon. You could literally see the undersides of the big rig trailers.
haha i know what you mean man, you really sit low in that car, all cars are like hills and mountains around you.

and i agree that the interior is small. i am no where big guy, and even i feel it's pretty "tight"
Old 04-27-05, 02:39 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

use to have one.. fun to drive, great handlng..but slow..
Old 04-27-05, 03:27 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

I cant stand Mazda after what they did to the successor to the RX7
Old 04-27-05, 03:44 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've ridden in one, but never drove it. Handled pretty good but had no ***** what so ever.
Old 04-27-05, 06:50 PM
01LexIS300
Driver School Candidate

My friend drove the Mazda Miata Speed. He said its not to bad, but getting back into his s2000 was much better.
Old 04-27-05, 07:00 PM
Dixond
Pole Position

You guys need to check w/ a member of SupraForums named Mr. Wob..
His sig reads "Never race the girls car. 11.34@126.3 on street tires."
now... for those of you that say it has no *****, I'm sure he'd loooove to prove you wrong.
And that was his previous one. He sold that one and I believe he's working on another one that is going to be an absolute BEAST.
I'm not familiar w/ it, but it sounds like there is a LOT of potential for that little car.

oh, and here's a quote from one of his posts...
"p.s. - my last Miata was 378rwhp and I have built a few 500+hp ones (V8's)... fun aint it?"

Last edited by Dixond; 04-27-05 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply: who's driven a miata?