Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus-only parking lots?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-05, 11:23 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lexus-only parking lots?

Saw this in the latest Lexus magazine today...in Atlanta by the Braves' stadium there is a parking lot reserved for Lexus vehicles...supposed to be a test for possible future Lexus-reserved parking lots in the future.
Old 04-27-05, 11:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Haven't read the article yet. What are they reserving Lexus-only spaces for?.......you just mention a "test for future Lexus-only lots".

Even if it benefits us personally, I as a Lexus owner would be opposed to this. I don't think public spaces should be reserved for any particular make of car.....although some traffic lanes are currently reserved for hybrids.
Not only would that look like arrogance on our part, IMO it would probably inflame many non-Lexus owners by presenting an image of us as a well-heeled group with the money and power to buy off politicians and stadium owners and lead to a lot of Lexuses getting keyed or otherwise vandalized while parked in the lots.

1SICK....you're in the Atlanta area, aren't you ? Have you heard of this?

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-27-05 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-27-05, 11:54 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most lots i've seen are privately owned used by the public and they can limit any vehicle they want. If it's an actual public lot owned by the city for public use then I would say that it wouldn't fly.
Old 04-27-05, 12:20 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Lexus Lots

There has been talk of doing that in Houston too. As I understand it, the parking would be in privately owned lots and fully or partially underwritten by one or more Lexus dealers for a few games during the season. Along with the "sponsorship" would come signage on or near the field and advertising in the program. These premium "reserved" spaces would probably be rented at the same rate as the regular parking spaces, rather than be completely free of charge, although this option has been discussed. Not a bad promotion!
Old 04-27-05, 12:35 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

One of the Charlotte ritzy shopping malls had valet service sponsored by the local Lexus dealer for a few months. You could varlet for free only if you had a Lexus.
Old 04-27-05, 12:37 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Privately owned lots, sponsored by the area dealerships would be an acceptable promotion (if it is clearly stated as such). Parking is one of the headaches when attending Stadium/Ballpark events.
Old 04-27-05, 01:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow that would be some cool thing to have, but dunno, i would expect to see some nasty protest or words against that idea... and i wonder we will see bimmer and mb only parking lots soon...
Old 04-27-05, 01:12 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
wow that would be some cool thing to have, but dunno, i would expect to see some nasty protest or words against that idea... and i wonder we will see bimmer and mb only parking lots soon...
Why would there be protests? It is a private lot that has been sponsored (meaning paid) by a Lexus dealer to promote itself and to give Lexus owners a fringe benefit. It sounds like a good marketing ploy.

People may get annoyed that they can't park there but when the lot is paid for, it is as if it is full.
Old 04-27-05, 01:32 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would be a great idea. It will promote Lexus........but I am sure a few negatives as well.
Old 04-27-05, 01:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
Most lots i've seen are privately owned used by the public and they can limit any vehicle they want. If it's an actual public lot owned by the city for public use then I would say that it wouldn't fly.
Yes...I'm with Scruff here. I agree you could do it with a private lot but not a public one. The original post did not indicate public or private.
Old 04-27-05, 01:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
Why would there be protests? It is a private lot that has been sponsored (meaning paid) by a Lexus dealer to promote itself and to give Lexus owners a fringe benefit. It sounds like a good marketing ploy.

People may get annoyed that they can't park there but when the lot is paid for, it is as if it is full.
i don't know, somehow just doesn't feel right. i understand that it will be private, but with other people seeing it it might get irritating to them
Old 04-27-05, 02:13 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
i don't know, somehow just doesn't feel right. i understand that it will be private, but with other people seeing it it might get irritating to them
Well I know they would......it's sort of like what my ex told me when he let me drive his 96 GS (it was the first lexus I had ever driven, and it was in 96).....be careful on the street while driving, people aren't going to want to let you merge or let you into traffic, and the only reason is because it's a Lexus......and he was right.
Old 04-27-05, 02:35 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out this page.................it tells the story.

http://braves.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/atl...directions.jsp

"PREMIUM PARKING: customers who drive a Lexus are allowed to gain entry to the Lexus parking lot located inside the Gold Lot us*ing their designated parking pass or cash. There are no assigned parking spaces within the lot."

Last edited by 400DGRZ; 04-27-05 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-27-05, 02:38 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
Well I know they would......it's sort of like what my ex told me when he let me drive his 96 GS (it was the first lexus I had ever driven, and it was in 96).....be careful on the street while driving, people aren't going to want to let you merge or let you into traffic, and the only reason is because it's a Lexus......and he was right.
Nobody lets you merge here in L.A No matter what car you drive,it's all the same.......People are di#ks!!!
Old 04-27-05, 02:44 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

free or not, I don't like valets (or really anyone but me) touching my car. I don't know if it's just around here or what, but nobody gives a sh#t or respects other people's about stuff.

I thought I remembered hearing about something like this near a stadium or something before too.

Quick Reply: Lexus-only parking lots?