Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Totalled SL 500

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-05 | 06:20 PM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dmodstl
I don't know why all those ropes are on the driver door. Probably to keep the door hinged in during transport.
There was a cover on the car (which was blown off by the wind) and those ropes were part of the cover, which can be seen in the second picture (the black cloth like thing).
Old 04-30-05 | 06:24 PM
dmodstl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Falcon LS
There was a cover on the car (which was blown off by the wind) and those ropes were part of the cover, which can be seen in the second picture (the black cloth like thing).
OK, now that makes sense.
Old 05-01-05 | 12:18 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

it'll be back on ebay on ebay in less then a month with a clean title
Old 05-01-05 | 03:38 AM
dmodstl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
How true. The insurance company is going to make sure that they are not the losers financially on this.
Old 05-01-05 | 05:49 AM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

They'll need to ship it out of Kuwait first.
Old 05-01-05 | 10:10 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

yah cars like this are totaled all the time in kuwait, if you go to a junkyard youll see them everywhere
Old 05-01-05 | 12:29 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

The older Mercedees cars especially the S class in the early 90's was literally a tank when it came to passenger protection and keeping its structure in tact during a high speed crash. It was very big and heavy because of this. There was an eposide Top Gear I believe where they crashed remotely powered cars at high speeds into each other and the hatchbacks and smaller sedans were crumpled and ripped to peices with no chance of anyone surviving but the older S-class retained its structure and looked like it was only involved in fairly minor accident. When looking inside you could not really see any bending or damage and the passengers would most likely escape death and major injuries. These days car companies focus more on light weight and using lighter,softer and cheaper materials where they can. They consider daytime running lights, traction control, and airbags to making a car safe and skimp on steel reinforcement bars and stucture protection devices which is what makes a larger difference in a high speed accident. German cars are or were designed to survive and protect passengers in high speed Autoban crashes with reinfored cocoons of tough materials and retain their structure which made them among the safest in the world. Those days are changing with the focus on light weight and higher profits and relying on ways to avoid accidents instead of protection when there is a serious accident.
Old 05-01-05 | 12:45 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Give this car to the Armo's!
Old 05-01-05 | 01:42 PM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by biggie27
yah cars like this are totaled all the time in kuwait, if you go to a junkyard youll see them everywhere
Been to Kuwait before?

Originally Posted by UDel
The older Mercedees cars especially the S class in the early 90's was literally a tank when it came to passenger protection and keeping its structure in tact during a high speed crash. It was very big and heavy because of this. There was an eposide Top Gear I believe where they crashed remotely powered cars at high speeds into each other and the hatchbacks and smaller sedans were crumpled and ripped to peices with no chance of anyone surviving but the older S-class retained its structure and looked like it was only involved in fairly minor accident. When looking inside you could not really see any bending or damage and the passengers would most likely escape death and major injuries. These days car companies focus more on light weight and using lighter,softer and cheaper materials where they can. They consider daytime running lights, traction control, and airbags to making a car safe and skimp on steel reinforcement bars and stucture protection devices which is what makes a larger difference in a high speed accident. German cars are or were designed to survive and protect passengers in high speed Autoban crashes with reinfored cocoons of tough materials and retain their structure which made them among the safest in the world. Those days are changing with the focus on light weight and higher profits and relying on ways to avoid accidents instead of protection when there is a serious accident.
Nicely said.
Old 05-01-05 | 04:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IronCobra
If he somehow kept his head back while the car was caving in, he probably walked away with some injuries. It apears that the cockpit is not completely crushed.

I think he probably servived with some leg and neck injuries.

Just my opinion though.
Agreed.......I don't think this looks like a lethal accident either.

We can talk a lot about the crappy, unreliable M-B electronics.....which is true......but in a severe accident ( I've said it before), Mercedes and Volvo are the cars to have.
Old 05-01-05 | 05:08 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

my rx7 (fd3s) looked like that and i walked away from the car with only cuts, but i'm one of the VERY lucky ones....

poor car...but the driver and passenger, if one, are okay.
Old 05-02-05 | 01:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

wow damn, that's pretty bad.... just hope the driver did walk away...

i heard from long long time ago (when princess diana died in that famous s class crash), that mb "guarantees" that their cars don't flip in cashes, or they replace the car for you.

probably not true anyway, but just think it's kinda funny
Old 05-02-05 | 08:05 AM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

wow thats pretty crazy!!!
Old 05-02-05 | 08:33 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

how fast was he/she going??
Old 05-02-05 | 10:10 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Damn, thats crazy. Hopefully the driver survived. It had a nice Panorama Roof though.

Quick Reply: Totalled SL 500