Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Call it the Infiniti Q or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-05, 08:22 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
To be totally honest the best looking Q45 (IMO) is the 94-96 model, all of the others are just "grow on you" cars. You eventually get around to accepting them, but its never love at first sight.

I really hope they infuse the new model with some of the G and M vigor. The current model puts me to sleep just looking at it, no passion.
That is another problem. In this market, you have to not just have good style but you have to be recognizable as well as when the new model comes out, the car has to evolve. In 3 versions, the Q45 has no shared styling cues, they all look totally different. The most important aspect of a big luxury car is a big grill. The 1st one (which I thought was cool) didn't have one, they switched to the Jaguar grill, then the current horizontal slab grill. Its too much change for luxury car buyers. In comparison, the S has evolved, the LS has evolved, even the new 7 is recognizable as a BMW. Jaguar took no chances with styling the new XK and the A8 is now instantly recognizable with the huge Union Grill.

Old 05-03-05, 09:04 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
That is another problem. In this market, you have to not just have good style but you have to be recognizable as well as when the new model comes out, the car has to evolve. In 3 versions, the Q45 has no shared styling cues, they all look totally different. The most important aspect of a big luxury car is a big grill. The 1st one (which I thought was cool) didn't have one, they switched to the Jaguar grill, then the current horizontal slab grill. Its too much change for luxury car buyers. In comparison, the S has evolved, the LS has evolved, even the new 7 is recognizable as a BMW. Jaguar took no chances with styling the new XK and the A8 is now instantly recognizable with the huge Union Grill.
I would say all the new infiniti's are easily recognizable as an infiniti. They all have the big chrome grille.
Old 05-03-05, 09:15 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Xenthar
I would say all the new infiniti's are easily recognizable as an infiniti. They all have the big chrome grille.
To Nissan/Infiiti fans, yes its recognizable and they are sticking to the horizontal grill theme in all the new products. But far from instantly recognizable, it takes many years to build that image.

Many people finally point out an Infinitii and say "what is that"? So to their credit, some of the designs are getting attention but people have no idea what it is.
http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49040

Old 05-03-05, 09:20 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I have to agree with 1SICK, if you were to ask someone to point out a Sclass or 745 in a parking lot (even a non-car person), they could. If you said point out the 05 Infiniti Q45, i'm sure they would stumble.
Old 05-03-05, 09:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

I think if & when they introduce the next Q, it's going to follow the same styling theme of the G35/M45 . . .
Old 05-03-05, 09:43 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
To Nissan/Infiiti fans, yes its recognizable and they are sticking to the horizontal grill theme in all the new products. But far from instantly recognizable, it takes many years to build that image.

Many people finally point out an Infinitii and say "what is that"? So to their credit, some of the designs are getting attention but people have no idea what it is.
http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49040
Okay well i can agree with that, but then again, lexus isnt recognizable as lexus. I dont see a common attribute between the models. The only car makes that are easily recongnizable are mb and bmw. Maybe jaguar as well.

The "what is that"? saying also applies to many other cars including lexus. Such as the new GS "is that a maxima?"
Old 05-03-05, 09:55 AM
LexFather

Okay well i can agree with that, but then again, lexus isnt recognizable as lexus. I dont see a common attribute between the models. The only car makes that are easily recongnizable are mb and bmw. Maybe jaguar as well.

The "what is that"? saying also applies to many other cars including lexus. Such as the new GS "is that a maxima?"
Your arguing now to argue and trying to compare Infiniti to Lexus and its not favorable for you. One problem is the constant changing of names/cars. Take the G35, wonderful car but the car with the previous name, is G20, which is nowhere in relation to the G35 inside or out. Lexus does not have this problem, no car/suv has ever been discontinued nor has there been any name changing. If you look, BMW/Benz does not have this problem either. But Caddy, Acura, Audi, Lincoln does (and notice they are not leading luxury brands) Lexus is instantly recognizable, that is part of the reason people buy them. In the luxury class, people like driving cars that other people "know" what the car is. I've driven plenty of Lexus and never got anything else but "sweet Lexus" comments. The very weird thing about Lexus, the cars do NOT look alike, yet are recognizable. They are the only luxury car maker to do this. The Germans mostly have a one style, 3 different size approach. Jags are recognizable. The new Caddys, they have done a great job making the cars recognizable with the Art and Science. Lexus, all the cars/SUVs have almost no relation, yet people can recognize "its a Lexus".

L-finesse is going to bridge the gap for Lexus, giving them some similar styling cues.

Now that I think about it, Benz doesn't have a problem b/c its image is so solid, they can change names. In the late 90s, the S-class coupe became the CL (to Acuras dismay) but its still recognizable as a Merc.

Old 05-03-05, 10:24 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they should keep the name. If infiniti can revive a dieing name such as the G or previous generation M and make it sell extremely well, then i believe infiniti can also do this with the Q. For a company that was on the brink of failing, they surely are growing very fast--in sales numbers and in level of prestige. Already being compared to bmw, mb as competition. Also, taking back the #2 spot from honda as the 2nd largest japanese car automaker
Level of prestige? So far their known for shoddy interiors and build quality? And I don't see Nissan taking back the 2nd largest japanese automaker anytime soon... never seen that news so far...

Some fords have nicer interiors than toyotas....whats your point? And yes the M is infiniti's performance vehicle that goes against the GS and 5 series... and judging by car reviews, it seems its a very worthy competitor since it has been winning most comparos.
REAAAALLLY NOW? Which fords would these be? ROFLMAO

I dunno where you live, but no one around here has that problem. They know the difference between a Maxima and GS430... about $30k worth of more amenities and higher quality and the maxima looks like a hyundai...
They also like the commercial where the GS is speeding by with a hellacious exhaust note

The max is the one that copied the GS, not the other way around; last i checked the new GS is an evolved style of the 2nd gen GS that came out in 1998. First thing I hear about people wanting to buy a new Maxima: "Did you see it?!? Its so badass! It looks like a Lexus!!!"

Last edited by Bean; 05-03-05 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-03-05, 12:51 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the Q projectors, that's about it.
I've been noticing a trend of Nissan, and I don't know if they've released it as something like L-Finesse is publicized as, but all of their cars look alike and not to mention they have like 3 or 4 engines between the two companies.
All of Infiniti's cars taillights are the same.
Taillights in Nissan are very similar.
I don't really like it though.
L-Finesse is good because it's changes in everything else but basic body shaping.
Old 05-03-05, 01:28 PM
InfiniD
Driver School Candidate

I think Infiniti should get rid of the Q completely. I hear so many people say the current one is a great car but nobody is willing to buy one. Must not be that great then. It's good mechanically but that's it. There's no prestige / appeal / status / pinache / passion / etc.

They should let the M be the flagship for the next 2 years to get people actually spending 45+ consistently on Infiniti's. In the meantime pick whatever letter of the alphabet is left and design a car to actually compete with 7's, LS's, and S classes. By that time there should be some of a customer base looking to move up from their M. Infiniti is on the right track but they'll need a flagship with some "look at me factor" to truly earn the prestige of a Lexus or a Benz. We'll have to wait and see what the future holds. Maybe we'll all be talking about the "V45" or the new "W" someday.
Old 05-03-05, 01:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by InfiniD
I think Infiniti should get rid of the Q completely. I hear so many people say the current one is a great car but nobody is willing to buy one. Must not be that great then. It's good mechanically but that's it. There's no prestige / appeal / status / pinache / passion / etc.

They should let the M be the flagship for the next 2 years to get people actually spending 45+ consistently on Infiniti's. In the meantime pick whatever letter of the alphabet is left and design a car to actually compete with 7's, LS's, and S classes. By that time there should be some of a customer base looking to move up from their M. Infiniti is on the right track but they'll need a flagship with some "look at me factor" to truly earn the prestige of a Lexus or a Benz. We'll have to wait and see what the future holds. Maybe we'll all be talking about the "V45" or the new "W" someday.
Now that sounds like a good plan

Old 05-03-05, 01:49 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Anything with V or W does not sound good for a luxury car
Old 05-03-05, 02:32 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

im not like trying to argue with anyone, but i think that it really souldn't matter what the letter of model the car is, it just should matter thw quality of the vehicle. Like the Volkswagen Phaeton, magizines and televisions are saying stuff like a 60k VW and a 90k VW, it shouldnt matter about the name, what should matter is the quailty, and the attention to detail and all the fancy gagets and stuff. but i really did not mean to like argue with anyone or anything, just what i felt basically LOL. sorry if i like offended someone, didnt mean to, seriously.
Old 05-03-05, 03:17 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bean
Level of prestige? So far their known for shoddy interiors and build quality? And I don't see Nissan taking back the 2nd largest japanese automaker anytime soon... never seen that news so far...
Known for shoddy interiors? Says who? Some lexus owners? Maybe the g35 in the 03-04 models were a little criticized for having a cheap center console, but thats now changed. But then again, that didnt stop the g35 from being car of the year. Havent heard any complaints about any other infiniti vehicles. Build quality? Infiniti build quality is very good. Nissan cars are a different story, but infiniti build quality is good. And yes, i'm pretty sure nissan took back the number 2 spot recently. I dont remember where i read it and i'm not sure where to find it. Maybe someone on here can find that info?

REAAAALLLY NOW? Which fords would these be? ROFLMAO
Do you really feel that an echo or a corolla or a scion have superior looking interiors? oh please...

I dunno where you live, but no one around here has that problem. They know the difference between a Maxima and GS430... about $30k worth of more amenities and higher quality and the maxima looks like a hyundai...
They also like the commercial where the GS is speeding by with a hellacious exhaust note

The max is the one that copied the GS, not the other way around; last i checked the new GS is an evolved style of the 2nd gen GS that came out in 1998. First thing I hear about people wanting to buy a new Maxima: "Did you see it?!? Its so badass! It looks like a Lexus!!!"
I live in california and yes people do see that similarity. If you think the gs looks like a hyundai, then so does the GS.

Last edited by LexFather; 05-03-05 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-03-05, 04:07 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Shoddy interiors, says not just Lexus owners but other reviewers. I've sat in the G35 and M and the interior quality is average. Build quality is good but not the best for Infiniti.

And in the latest JD Power ratings, Nissan ranked BELOW average and next to Benz and BMW at the bottom of overall reliability.

The new L-Finesse theme is giving Lexus cars a distinctive and cohesive look, devoid of the exaggeration seen in other car styles.