Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cops talking about Radar Detectors (What do they think about it?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-05, 09:23 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Cops talking about Radar Detectors (What do they think about it?)

Found this topic on another website which linked me to this forum. Its a messageboard for officers. Its an interesting read. What are your thoughts and experiences??

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...7&page=1&pp=25

Last edited by magneto112; 05-02-05 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-02-05, 09:25 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

link didnt work
Old 05-02-05, 09:31 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by b1gredek
link didnt work
Woops, my bad. It should now.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...7&page=1&pp=25
Old 05-02-05, 10:07 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone should ask how they feel about jamming devices...
Old 05-02-05, 11:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Most of the responses here were excellent. No matter how much of a cat-and-mouse game it turns out to be....in the end the cat is going to win.
Old 05-02-05, 03:53 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The posted limit is good enough for me, locally where I live they INCREASED the limit in a residential zone to way too fast. Speed kills, too many. Slow down.
Old 05-02-05, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, speed can and does kill.......but alcohol kills even more, and cell phones are rapidly catching up.
Old 05-02-05, 10:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i wouldn't trust what they say. if there are more than a few cars running fast on the freeway, you detect the radar, the cop has no way to know which car he got the signal from exactly, unless he's shooting at you already. and with the old k and ka band, it's not that easy with other cars around

all i know and care is that my radar detector has saved my *** so many times

and the "if there is a radar then it's ticket for sure rather than warnings"? dunno, i have yet to see a cop that nice to me anyway
Old 05-03-05, 05:19 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

all i know and care is that my radar detector has saved my *** so many times

and the "if there is a radar then it's ticket for sure rather than warnings"? dunno, i have yet to see a cop that nice to me anyway
I agree! I would not drive without my V1 The last time I got nailed it was laser and they had a trap setup, no way I would have made it past it. I pulled my v1 down but he was a **!@%#^$ and did not say a word except for wanting my license and handing me my ticket. But the countless other times it has saved me made it not so bad, just had to pay $160 to my lawyer to make it disappear. I just had to think of all those other times and how much money it has saved me in the past.
Old 05-03-05, 05:30 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Those cops are participating in a campaign of disinformation. My V1 has saved me many times, yes the instant on will nail you but 9 times out of 10 you pick it up when they nail some poor guy with out a V1 in front of you, then you just "check" your speed.

The one valid point is that you are just out of luck when it comes to laser. I have been nailed several times with it and it seems to be the speed detection device of choice in my state. But you know what this mouse has a trick for them, I plan on puchasing one of the Laser Jammers, as soon as possible. That should eliminate the upper hand they have for a little while.
Old 05-03-05, 05:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by morris
Those cops are participating in a campaign of disinformation. My V1 has saved me many times, yes the instant on will nail you but 9 times out of 10 you pick it up when they nail some poor guy with out a V1 in front of you, then you just "check" your speed.

The one valid point is that you are just out of luck when it comes to laser. I have been nailed several times with it and it seems to be the speed detection device of choice in my state. But you know what this mouse has a trick for them, I plan on puchasing one of the Laser Jammers, as soon as possible. That should eliminate the upper hand they have for a little while.
Don't. Jammers are clearly illegal. Get caught with one of those and you are in BIG trouble......then who has the upper hand? Not even your lawyer will be able to get you out of that one.

It also begs the question why you are driving that fast to start wth....which is also clearly illegal.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-03-05 at 05:44 AM.
Old 05-03-05, 05:42 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Ahh young grasshopper you are misinformed.

Radar Jammers are illegal becuase they emit radio waves and are controlled under FCC regulations.

Laser Jammers however are not regulated under the FCC becuase they only emit light and not radio waves.

And yes I will admit it, I do speed sometimes and yes I dont like paying the state or county any more in taxes than I have to. IE tickets. I make no excuses.

Unfortunately I get to see what happens to the money that is taken in from citations. Believe me its not about safety for the Govt its about revenue. There are at least a half dozen agencies that get a cut of every citation that is written, its just rediculous.
Old 05-03-05, 05:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by morris
Ahh young grasshopper you are misinformed.

Unfortunately I get to see what happens to the money that is taken in from citations. Believe me its not about safety for the Govt its about revenue. There are at least a half dozen agencies that get a cut of every citation that is written, its just rediculous.
The truth is that it is about BOTH.....safety AND revenue.

And YOUNG? I am probably at least twice your age. I have been driving for 37 years and have the better part of a million miles....and several hundered hours in both single and twin-engined aircraft as a licensed pilot.
Old 05-03-05, 05:50 AM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It also begs the question why you are driving that fast to start wth....which is also clearly illegal.
Let me answer that...

Because I have places to be, people to see, and things to do. Just because we speed does not make us bad people (not that you said it did). Maybe if they would reward people for doing the speed limit (i.e. time lights properly, etc.) then maybe I would do the speed limit. Until then, catch me if you can!

Now I know not every light can be perfectly timed, but c'mon, there are some lights that are just so off kilter it isn't even funny (and this is probably more than 50% of them). I find that about 15-20 over the limit allows me to catch many more lights.

In addition, when one always drives fast they are prepared for that emergency situation when they need to drive like a madman. As they say, practice makes perfect. Think about it, the guy who always drives slow and then that ONE time needs to get to the hospital for something, he is completely unprepared to drive fast.

One last note, driving fast does not necessarily mean tailgating and weaving. There is such a thing as strategic lane changes and courtesy to other drivers, yet still allowing yourself to make time in traffic (usually light to medium is best since it provides "blockers" to cops hiding around the corner or over the hill).
Old 05-03-05, 05:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteTiger
Let me answer that...

Because I have places to be, people to see, and things to do. Just because we speed does not make us bad people (not that you said it did). Maybe if they would reward people for doing the speed limit (i.e. time lights properly, etc.) then maybe I would do the speed limit. Until then, catch me if you can!

Now I know not every light can be perfectly timed, but c'mon, there are some lights that are just so off kilter it isn't even funny (and this is probably more than 50% of them). I find that about 15-20 over the limit allows me to catch many more lights.

In addition, when one always drives fast they are prepared for that emergency situation when they need to drive like a madman. As they say, practice makes perfect. Think about it, the guy who always drives slow and then that ONE time needs to get to the hospital for something, he is completely unprepared to drive fast.

One last note, driving fast does not necessarily mean tailgating and weaving. There is such a thing as strategic lane changes and courtesy to other drivers, yet still allowing yourself to make time in traffic (usually light to medium is best since it provides "blockers" to cops hiding around the corner or over the hill).

Well, I'm not exactly grandma myself......I drive fast enough to get where I am going and slow enough to avoid tickets.

Quick Reply: Cops talking about Radar Detectors (What do they think about it?)