Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda lost $800 million with the NSX

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-05, 07:14 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with udel--since the NSX first came out all the way to today, it is my dream car and I would gladly shell out the $90K for it with "only" 290 HP. Depending on how things go, I may do exactly that in another year or so...

As for them losing $800M on the NSX, I assume that's spread over the 14 years it's been produced. GM lost more money than that last QUARTER. Honda has gotten their money's worth in buzz, excitement, and prestige alone.
Old 05-06-05, 07:30 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the picture wont show up for me for some reason, so if someone can attach it that would be great

And I wish they would make the HSC, my father an an ex-NSX owner was looking forward to buying one.
Old 05-06-05, 04:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow this is very very sad man,.... it's hard to believe how much money honda lost over the nsx throughout the yrs. from 91 till now, that's 14 yrs and that means about 57 millions a yr..... and considering how FEW new nsx are sold every yr, we can imagine how much money honda is losing on each car....

it's definitely a spectacular car, no one can deny, and it's one of the very few true legend. but with the way they lose money, i think it makes sense for them to pull the plug....

sigh...
Old 05-07-05, 01:33 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
wow this is very very sad man,.... it's hard to believe how much money honda lost over the nsx throughout the yrs. from 91 till now, that's 14 yrs and that means about 57 millions a yr..... and considering how FEW new nsx are sold every yr, we can imagine how much money honda is losing on each car....

it's definitely a spectacular car, no one can deny, and it's one of the very few true legend. but with the way they lose money, i think it makes sense for them to pull the plug....

sigh...

The thing to remember is Honda never brought the NSX out to make money. They sold it at a supposed lost from day one. What the NSX was supposed to do was create a buzz and interest to bring customers into the show room and boost sales of their other cars that normal people could afford. When you thing about it back then, the Integra and Legend, as well as the Prelude and such cars where all of similar philosophy as the NSX. Now, the NSX doesn't really fit the same design philosophy as the new TL, TL and such, but the HSC does. Anyway, there has been a lot of discussion about just what was the real impact of the NSX for Honda and if it really was a lost of money. You see, if you just take the actual NSX sales profits and compate that to the R&D money for the NSX and other related cost, you get that $800 billion dollar shorfall. However, how much money did Honda get from its other cars directly because of the NSX? Nobody can be sure, and it still may be a loss, but surely it is not as great. World wide you have to thing cars like the Civic Type-R, Integra Type-R, Accord Type-R, even the Type-S models, and Civic Si all have a relationshp with the NSX. Those type of cars would have come out if it were not for the NSX. People also may not have been interested in those cars if it were not for the technology showcased in the NSX as well.
Old 05-07-05, 03:28 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree that the 290 hp was enough to hang with the big boys but most people want bragging rights. They want to be able to say, "my car has 400hp and can beat yours." I think Honda should have either lowered the price by mass producing it on an assembly line or increase the power to justify it's price. I'm sure they could have easily added 50-60hp without costing too much. Man, this sollution seems so simple you wonder why they didn't do it.