Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda lost $800 million with the NSX

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-05, 01:41 PM
LexFather

Default Honda lost $800 million with the NSX

Hot damn as much as enthusiasts want another one, we finally have a number on what the "no's" use to discontinue the car, thus killing a business case for it.

Very sad very sad. I think with the profits with the other Hondas, even if they lose money, they should build it.

Old 05-05-05, 01:49 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Hot damn as much as enthusiasts want another one, we finally have a number on what the "no's" use to discontinue the car, thus killing a business case for it.

Very sad very sad. I think with the profits with the other Hondas, even if they lose money, they should build it.
I agree, it's shame if the HSC concept won't make it to production.

Purely on looks, I still prefer the HSC concept over the LF-C, that front end just doesn't work for me at all. . .

Last edited by Gojirra99; 05-05-05 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-05-05, 01:54 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

This is horrible news, but at the same time its actually kind of funny, cause I think they could have avoided such a high loss.
Old 05-05-05, 01:57 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Maybe they should attempt to price it more competitive & make it more of a higher volume car rather than a limited production hand-made one like the previous ? . . .
Old 05-05-05, 02:40 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It has been known for a long time that Honda wasn't making any money on the NSX since its inception. When you think about it, Honda brought the car out as a halo car and not to make money. Do we really think that Honda was really making anything on an all aluminum hand build car like the NSX back in the early 90s when the MSRP was only low $60K? The man hours needed to build just one NSX must be pretty high as well. I have pictures showing how each carbon fiber parts like the hood and spoiler on the NSX-R are all hand made one at a time. Pushing the car around on a dolly from station to station probably doesn't speed things up either.
Old 05-05-05, 02:56 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a whole lot of money.
I'm surprised they didn't pull the plug earlier.
Old 05-05-05, 03:08 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$800 million dollars.... Thats probably nothing for Honda anyways
Old 05-05-05, 03:15 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by got_trd
$800 million dollars.... Thats probably nothing for Honda anyways
$800M is a lot for any company, let alone Honda whose financial situation hasn't been exactly stellar these recent years.

R. I. P. NSX.

More bad news for Honda:
http://www.formula1.com/race/news/2947/736.html

BAR team handed two-race ban

BAR will be missing from the grid in Barcelona this weekend after being banned for two events by the International Court of Appeal. It follows Wednesday’s hearing in Paris over the legality of Jenson Button’s car at the previous round at Imola.

As well as being unable to compete in the Spanish or Monaco Grands Prix, BAR will lose the 10 points they scored in San Marino for Button’s third-place finish and Takuma Sato’s fifth-place result.

On top of the two-race exclusion, BAR were given a further, suspended six-month ban, starting after the Monaco race.

Following the finish at Imola, BAR were asked by stewards to drain Button’s car of fuel prior to it being weighed and it subsequently met the minimum 600kg weight limit. However, FIA officials then found a further quantity of fuel in a secondary compartment within the tank. Once this was drained the car failed the weigh-in.

At the time the stewards accepted BAR’s explanation that the compartment, the legality of which was not questioned, was a collector tank which always held a minimal amount of fuel necessary for the car to function, meaning it would have been above the minimum weight throughout the race.

However, the FIA contested the stewards’ decision and the International Court of Appeal decided that while it could not find BAR to have intentionally cheated, the team’s interpretation of the rules was flawed and they should have sought clarification.

The Court said that the only way the car could have met the 600kg requirement was by using fuel as ballast, which is not allowed under Formula One regulations.

It also stated that BAR’s fuel consumption data could not guarantee that the car complied with the rules at all times during the race, hence the team neglected their duty to satisfy the FIA technical delegate of its legality throughout the event.

The verdict leaves BAR without any 2005 world championship points and unable to score any more until the European Grand Prix on May 29.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 05-05-05 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-05-05, 03:55 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Being DQed from the Imola race was an acceptable punishment for the technical rules infraction (Car being below the minimum weight), but the extra 2 race suspension a nd 6 months suspended suspension is BS. Other teams including BMW/Williams and Toyota just last year was only DQed from the event in question for technnical violations (Running Illegal brake ducts). This punishment is inconsistent for the type of violation. After all the "Cheating" allegations was sorted out in the FIA appeals court, the only issue was the minimum weight of the car. Obviously the FIA appeals court ruled BARs interpretation of the rules was wrong and DQed them which would be okay and correct, but why the extra punishment? Obviously it has hidden meaning. While all just a consiracy theory, could it have anything to do with BAR expoiting the engine loophole that the start of the season that the FIA claimed no team would do? Also, Honda is part of the group of teams wanting to defect for the gpwc.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 05-05-05 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-05-05, 04:18 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda will jsut sell more Civics to offset the loss
Old 05-05-05, 07:40 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ouch...I read that Lexus spent $1 Billion on the first LS, and the current Toyota budget for R & D, according to BusinessWeek, is $15.3 Bil this year spread across 26 different models across the Lexus, Toyota, and Scion divisions.
Old 05-05-05, 07:48 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,401 Posts

LOL, I just read the title of this thread to my girlfriend (who until recently owned / drove an NSX)

I said
1sicklex just posted a thread about the NSX... "Honda lost $800 million with the NSX"
and without pause, she replies
Well, where did they put it?
implying that they misplaced it in the floorboard of one or something.

She keeps talking, I keep typing "well, at least they lost it in style"
Old 05-05-05, 08:55 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

89k for a car with 290 hp will not cut it nowadays. How can the automatic version of the nsx have only 252 hp and expect to sell to car enthusiasts? I do understand that the NSX is an exotic car, but come one, what exotic car doesn't have at least 300-350 hp.
Old 05-05-05, 10:31 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The NSX did not need alot of horsepower since it was light, had excellent gearing, and great traction from a mid-engine design. It still did 0-60 in 4.5-4.8 seconds with a 290hp 6 speed and outperformed many exotics in all around tests and still a top choice among enthusiasts. I believe there was a study of cars whose owners were most satisfied with and would buy another one no questions asked and the NSX came out first many times with Corvettes and 911's following. It is strange that they used a detuned engine for the automatic when the automatics in the TL and RL are handling more horsepower. They still should of upped the horsepower for all models since it was Honda's flagship and most people care more about horsepower numbers when it comes to selling sports cars. I think as the years went by Honda became more successful and mainstream and had to focus more on SUV's, minivans, and luxury vehicles then put more money into a car that was loosing money on every sale. The NSX was never about making money but showing a Japanese company and Honda could make a mid-engine exotic to challenge Ferrari which is what it did. It was also a showcase for Honda technology and performance and to give Acura a boost in image. The NSX is still the most expensive highest performing Japanese car ever sold in America. I still find it one of the nicest looking cars ever made and it has aged very well. I still think it looks better then 98% of the cars out now or that have ever been released. I think Honda will put out another one especially with Nissan and Toyota coming out with high priced performance cars soon.

Last edited by UDel; 05-05-05 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-06-05, 12:31 AM
Drukinfoolio
Pole Position

Thats just too bad. I loved the NSX since it first came out and just recently bought one, and I dirve it more than my GS.
Honda will find a way to make it's $ beck.

Quick Reply: Honda lost $800 million with the NSX