Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

help on purchasing a supra

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-05 | 08:03 PM
Gs Dreams
Pole Position

Default help on purchasing a supra

im planning on gettin a second car as a "fun car" i was looking into the 350z's, G35, EvoVIII, and Sti untill my friend mention a toyota supra. so i did a lil bit of homework and i see that Supra can easily get up into the 500hp marker (especially the TT's) so that right there impressed me a hell of a lot so my question is

1. How the a stock supra ( TT, T or non turbo ) compare up the the 350z g35, evo, sti (stock vs. stock hp wise and weight wise)
2. hardtop or targa top which one is better ( does the targa top tends to leak over time and how about weight wise which one is lighter)
3. after modding all the cars which one would have a better out come (hp wise)

i would like to get a supra because im happy with my lexus and it seems to me that toyota makes a hell of a car so if you lexus guys or supra guys (and girls) can help me out with my purchase
Old 05-05-05 | 08:24 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

after wanting to get a supra for years, i have given up because prices have shot up from those damn fast and the funkiest kids. but i know a good amount...

1)the stock supra is probably on par with all of those cars... a turbo should run mid 13s out of the box. the stock supra is 320 hp and comes with sequential twin turbos. the first turbo kicks in at 2350(i think...) and the second kicks in at 4500. the supra is a heavy beast but IMO looks so much better than any of those other cars by far. the newer Zs and G's come with 300 hp and the G would be around the same weight or slightly heavier.. the Z would be lighter and comes in an NA package. just IMO, turbo is so much more fun. the potential of the engine is still somewhat questionable IMO... twin turbo kits are around.. but i still prefer the solid basis for tuning backed up in the 2jz. you could make 600 to the wheels reliably and could push up to over 1000hp in the supra. none of these cars has potential like this. oh and the stock supraTT weighs in at about the 3600 lb mark.

2) hardtops turbos are EXTREMELY rare. they were only made 93-95 and there are only about 230 total in the US. there were only 18 in 95 and i believe 75 in 94, so the majority are in 93 and all of these come 6 speed. they are about 75 lbs lighter and more rigid for track purposes.

3)i think i already answered this, the supra is unsurpassed in terms of potential. reliable to boot.

you most likely want a turbo because the NA supra is relatively slow.. unless u are planning a swap or at least swapping the head. you could go NA-T but why not just buy the TT? so much more potential and likely the cheaper option. plus ud rather have the getrag 6 than the 5sp.

Last edited by Dynasty SC; 05-05-05 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-05-05 | 08:25 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

The Supra has held its value very well over the years, so the resell is good on them, even ones that are modded. I dont have any personal experience with supras, a few people I knew had stock ones. But they never had any problems with them. Great cars. I would say get the Supra and start going crazy
Old 05-05-05 | 08:32 PM
Gs Dreams
Pole Position

Default thanks for the reply

once again thanks for ur input but how come the hard tops ard harder to find
i thought something like the targa top would be more exotic
and another question what is the difference between the supra ( like what is the difference in a 93 supra opposed to a 98 supra and etc.

and im looking for any supra
planning on doing a engine swap ( 6 speed TT package but later gonna up grade the turbo's)
or should i already get a TT one save my money on a swap and just upgrade the turbo's
Old 05-05-05 | 08:41 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161433

There is a 95 hard top for sale here and I think he is asking $17k or something. I dont know if that is a good price or not. May be worth checking out though
Old 05-05-05 | 08:43 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gs Dreams
once again thanks for ur input but how come the hard tops ard harder to find
i thought something like the targa top would be more exotic
and another question what is the difference between the supra ( like what is the difference in a 93 supra opposed to a 98 supra and etc.

and im looking for any supra
planning on doing a engine swap ( 6 speed TT package but later gonna up grade the turbo's)
or should i already get a TT one save my money on a swap and just upgrade the turbo's
the hardtops didnt sell well for some reason. almost all the supras out there are targa tops. there are a good number of NAs with hardtops though. there really is no major differences between the 93 and 98... the only clear distinction is that the 97+ has carbon fiber background in the taillights i believe. there was also no 6 speeds in 96 because of emissions. also there are different colors available in the rarer 97+ models including imperial jade mica, royal sapphire pearl(my favorite color) and quicksilver FX. the 98s are simply rebadged, left over 97s.

i would buy the TT already. the TT 6 sp. swap will cost you probably at least 6 grand and thats if you do the work yourself. it can be in the 10k range if you get it done by a shop. then swap out ur turbos, most likely for a single... there are a million different turbos u could use going as large as the HKS T88h or even bigger. i know you can get the HKS 3037 twins that will make u over 1000hp. for 500-600 hp range u can go small single.. thats say.. smaller than a 66mm inducer depending exactly how much u want. many people go with the 62 or 63 mm which spools relatively quickly. sound performance is a good bet.
Old 05-05-05 | 08:47 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161433

There is a 95 hard top for sale here and I think he is asking $17k or something. I dont know if that is a good price or not. May be worth checking out though
keep in mind that i did say hardtop TURBOS are extremely rare.. an NA hardtop is not. in fact.. also keep in mind that the NA supra SE was the basement model supra. it came with the least options and that is why it came in only hardtop.

IMO that is an extremely high price for that particular supra and i would NOT buy it.
Old 05-05-05 | 08:53 PM
Gs Dreams
Pole Position

Default twin turbo's

ok so my best bet would be to get a 6 spd TT right? and if i upgrade the turbo's (along with other mods) i can hit up to 1000hp? #%$^ sign me up
ok ...
and hardtop or targa top? does it make a big diffrence? how is the targa top have you heard anything about leaks or things in that nature
Old 05-05-05 | 08:55 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Supra's all the way.... The fact that some of them are still work just as much as a new STI or g35/350z and they are like 10 years old just makes me go crazy for them. That and the many many Supra videos I have..... 1500+ to the wheels.........
Old 05-05-05 | 08:57 PM
Gs Dreams
Pole Position

Default rwhp

around 800 to 1000 hp to the wheel about how much are you looking to spend?
Old 05-05-05 | 09:03 PM
Gs Dreams
Pole Position

Default turbo set up

lets say i find a single turbo supra for a good price can i up grade that engine to a twin turbo setup with no problems
Old 05-05-05 | 09:08 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

lets say i find a single turbo supra for a good price can i up grade that engine to a twin turbo setup with no problems
Sounds ***-backwards to me..
Old 05-05-05 | 09:52 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

some people have slight targa leaks but it doesnt seem to be anything horridly bad... i dont think you see them too often.... what i would ask myself if i were u is if i would use the targa top. i personally dont ever use my moonroof and i hate convertibles and would never use the targa... and if you want to track the car, the hardtop is better: lighter and more rigid.

if u find a single turbo'd supra it would be an aftermarket turbo... it might be making a ton of power already... likely easily over the 500 you are looking for. if you really want 1000 hp u would have to go with an enormous turbo or the big twin setup. keep in mind that you will have to deal with lag. the biggest streetable turbos make in the 700hp range... but many people go small single where the power comes on much earlier. 1000 hp cars will lag like crazy and unless u want them for dyno queens or racing(esp drag) they arent worth it. stay under 800hp IMO.
Old 05-05-05 | 10:01 PM
Gs Dreams
Pole Position

ok so let me get this straight
there are two supra's right a base model and a twin turbo one right ( no stock single turbo)
and if i want to get stay around 800 hp get a nice single turbo set up
or twin would be fine too?
Old 05-05-05 | 10:05 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

ok so let me get this straight
there are two supra's right a base model and a twin turbo one right ( no stock single turbo)
and if i want to get stay around 800 hp get a nice single turbo set up
or twin would be fine too?
well there is the non turbo and the turbo... within the non turbos the SE's are the ones without any options whatsoever. the turbo is indeed a sequential twin turbo setup. you could get either a single or twin setup(there are aftermarket twin setups). twins tend to spool faster, but singles usually offer a bit more power. singles are also lighter.

Quick Reply: help on purchasing a supra