Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes may drop quality survey goal

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-05, 05:44 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, Marshall brings up a very good point here. This is not the first time I have heard anyone knocking JD-Powers. One of my friends is also an editor for a travel magazine, and she has described several times on how JD Powers fails to verify/validate their resources. In short, she gave me very strong reasons to have little faith in JD Powers.

Hey Marshall, I might drop you a PM on a new car I'm interested in but I woud like you sincere feedback on it.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, XeroK00L, I can tell you this; That I have been a J.D. Power panelist and automotive focus group member myself (not just a random survey in the mail) a number of times and I can say I am not very impressed with how Power does their research. Consumer Reports, IMO, does a MUCH better job....especially in the auto reliability section.

I do agree with you, though, that M-B cannot blame Power for their troubles.
Old 05-07-05, 05:47 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
.I don't get it. One reason is horsepower. Another is the tremendous safety aspects. Another is certainly the styling. To me, none of that means a crap when the car is always in the shop.
I agree, but you forget one thing, Status. That what make people buying the MB before all of the above. People will spend their retirement money just to get a C230 and say " I got an MB".

MB can be at the bottom of the poll by JD and they still selling cars like no other. MB is a global's status of wealthy and this will not change anytime soon.
Old 05-07-05, 06:37 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally i think a lot of repeat customers buy for safety...

MB's make IMO the safest cars. Volvo's are safe, but if you ram a S80 and a S class head on...i'd rather be in the S class

my cousins are sworn purchasers after they got broadsided in their E320 by a Tahoe that ran a red light going 40. Walked out with only cuts and bruises..
Old 05-08-05, 07:31 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by texan629
Reliability doesn't mean crap if the car bores you to death puts you to sleep and makes you drive into a brick wall.
I get your point, it's easy to get it since you so strongly expressed it. The counter point is you can have both elsewhere. Lexus for instance. You get styling, safety and reliability. Only the extreme power levels are missing. Then there's BMW. You get styling, safety, power but only a little more reliability than benz. Bottom line is there are too many choices to accept inferior reliability for the sake of what some perceive as a prestigious nameplate. We wouldn't accept that anywhere else....why do it with a car? No one goes to Brandsmart for the TV that breaks down every other month.
Old 05-08-05, 09:02 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by reggiek
I get your point, it's easy to get it since you so strongly expressed it. The counter point is you can have both elsewhere. Lexus for instance. You get styling, safety and reliability. Only the extreme power levels are missing. Then there's BMW. You get styling, safety, power but only a little more reliability than benz. Bottom line is there are too many choices to accept inferior reliability for the sake of what some perceive as a prestigious nameplate. We wouldn't accept that anywhere else....why do it with a car? No one goes to Brandsmart for the TV that breaks down every other month.
What's Brandsmart?
Old 05-08-05, 10:29 AM
LexFather

MERCEDES DIDN'T COMPLAIN WHEN THEY WERE #1 in 1994

Old 05-08-05, 03:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
personally i think a lot of repeat customers buy for safety...

MB's make IMO the safest cars. Volvo's are safe, but if you ram a S80 and a S class head on...i'd rather be in the S class

my cousins are sworn purchasers after they got broadsided in their E320 by a Tahoe that ran a red light going 40. Walked out with only cuts and bruises..

Mercedes and Volvo in general do indeed make the best cars as far as crashworthiness and safety features are concerned. We have discussed this numerous times on CL and have given them their due in these areas. They combine en extremely strong roll cage around the cabin to protect the occupants with highly effective crushable structures at both ends to deform and absorb impacts. The main problem with both makes is not safety but crappy electronics and lousy quality control. Volvos, for instance, are notorious for poor circuts and burning out bulbs. Mercedes has problems with poorly attached hardware and, especially, the electronic brake systems.

Consumer Reports, however, gives the Lexus IS300 not only one of the highest reliability ratings but also one of the highest safety ones as well.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-08-05 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-08-05, 04:30 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
What's Brandsmart?
Pardon me....I thought Brandsmart was a national chain. That's one of our electonic and appliance megastores. They sell everything from calculators to high end A/V systems.
Old 05-08-05, 05:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tetra7
Hey Marshall, I might drop you a PM on a new car I'm interested in but I woud like you sincere feedback on it.
Fire away.
Old 05-08-05, 05:21 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

turnarounds DO happen even for the worst of compaines.

in that case, watch out for hyundai and kia. they are no kidding around anymore. i looked at the kia amanti the other day and i was pretty impressed.

but toyota wasnt the worst company 15 years ago and neither is hyundai today.
Old 05-08-05, 05:37 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Somewhere in that 1st post, the fellow from MB mentioned something about image; there was a time when the image meant something, now it's just an image.
If Chrysler can come back from K-cars, then MB can once again build cars with functional electrical systems.
Old 05-08-05, 06:21 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Mercedes and Volvo in general do indeed make the best cars as far as crashworthiness and safety features are concerned. We have discussed this numerous times on CL and have given them their due in these areas. They combine en extremely strong roll cage around the cabin to protect the occupants with highly effective crushable structures at both ends to deform and absorb impacts. The main problem with both makes is not safety but crappy electronics and lousy quality control. Volvos, for instance, are notorious for poor circuts and burning out bulbs. Mercedes has problems with poorly attached hardware and, especially, the electronic brake systems.

Consumer Reports, however, gives the Lexus IS300 not only one of the highest reliability ratings but also one of the highest safety ones as well.
While I do not deny that MB and Volvo are relatively "safe" cars, I do not think that they are any safer than any other high quality manufacturer - ie Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, BMW, Nissan/Infiniti of comparable (car) size. I do think that MB and Volvo have been good at MARKETING/PROPAGANDIZING the myth that they are "safer" than everyone else. If you look at crash test results and not anecdotal evidence, it bears this out.

I'd rather be in a crash in an LS430 vs. E320 or S430 and I'd much rather be in a crash in ANYTHING but a MB C230 tin can.
Old 05-08-05, 06:42 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gekko
While I do not deny that MB and Volvo are relatively "safe" cars, I do not think that they are any safer than any other high quality manufacturer - ie Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, BMW, Nissan/Infiniti of comparable (car) size. I do think that MB and Volvo have been good at MARKETING/PROPAGANDIZING the myth that they are "safer" than everyone else. If you look at crash test results and not anecdotal evidence, it bears this out.

I'd rather be in a crash in an LS430 vs. E320 or S430 and I'd much rather be in a crash in ANYTHING but a MB C230 tin can.
I also wonder whether they're still the safest cars. Problem is a lot of the models of not just those two but pretty much every manufacturer aren't really tested (or at least not listed as such) on the IIHS and NHTSA safety sites. In fact, IIRC, not a single Lexus is listed. I wanted to prove to my dad that Lexus/Toyota have come a long way from the tin car days of the 80's, but all the fields were N/A...
Old 05-08-05, 06:47 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

And factor in the probability of electronics failures of European cars vs. Japanese cars. I want to be sure that my AIR BAGS deploy in a crash!
Old 05-08-05, 06:48 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Incendiary
I also wonder whether they're still the safest cars. Problem is a lot of the models of not just those two but pretty much every manufacturer aren't really tested (or at least not listed as such) on the IIHS and NHTSA safety sites. In fact, IIRC, not a single Lexus is listed. I wanted to prove to my dad that Lexus/Toyota have come a long way from the tin car days of the 80's, but all the fields were N/A...
I wonder that too. Perhaps crash tests are just too expensive and time-consuming?

Quick Reply: Mercedes may drop quality survey goal