Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes ponders a move into the pickup truck biz

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-05, 01:33 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
I don't think a luxury SUV was ever a good idea. I don't see why luxury pickup trucks are so terrible. If anything, they have more utility than an SUV. SUV's, as they are used by most of the consumer base, are just minivans with a more "rugged" image. That's why I like the R-class and upcoming BMW V-series. I've also been saying that a luxury minivan makes more sense, and though neither of the Teutonic Duo will admit it outright, that's exactly what they are.

Death to SUVs.
Not to be rude but you almost seem to go perfectly against what you mean. You say SUVs (minivans with a rugged "image") are a bad idea, but then say that luxury pickups wouldn't be that bad. Aren't pickups the most rugged of any vehicle? And the fact that they have more utility to haul stuff takes away from their ability to haul around a family of more than 5. IMO, that's why REAL luxury SUVs (big V8, truck chassis, 4WD) were invented in the first place. To take the fam around in some comfort, rather than in the big wagon or bump, loud Suburban.

I do agree with you on the minivan statement but when you have Siennas and Oddyseys that can close in on 50k there's almost no room for one. Plus, as we know, image sells cars (at least in America so that's all I can speak for). I can't see the public jumping on a luxo minivan when it has the "Soccer Mom" image when they can get an RX or X5 for the same price. Who knows about the pickup though. The 2 offerings of luxury pickups have experienced such opposite fates who is to say how a German one will do. The EXT has done quite well, even if it has a cheap-looking interior and (to some) an ugly exterior. I don't think I even need to speak on the Blackwood, yet Lincoln's trying again.

James
Old 05-11-05, 01:41 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jet864
Not to be rude but you almost seem to go perfectly against what you mean. You say SUVs (minivans with a rugged "image") are a bad idea, but then say that luxury pickups wouldn't be that bad. Aren't pickups the most rugged of any vehicle? And the fact that they have more utility to haul stuff takes away from their ability to haul around a family of more than 5. IMO, that's why REAL luxury SUVs (big V8, truck chassis, 4WD) were invented in the first place. To take the fam around in some comfort, rather than in the big wagon or bump, loud Suburban.

I do agree with you on the minivan statement but when you have Siennas and Oddyseys that can close in on 50k there's almost no room for one. Plus, as we know, image sells cars (at least in America so that's all I can speak for). I can't see the public jumping on a luxo minivan when it has the "Soccer Mom" image when they can get an RX or X5 for the same price. Who knows about the pickup though. The 2 offerings of luxury pickups have experienced such opposite fates who is to say how a German one will do. The EXT has done quite well, even if it has a cheap-looking interior and (to some) an ugly exterior. I don't think I even need to speak on the Blackwood, yet Lincoln's trying again.

James
Maybe that's why the R-class starts at $50k? *shrugs*

I guess my point was that SUVs are rugged minivans and exist and are popular because they are "in." It has no more utility to most people than a luxury minivan would.

One thing I don't like about SUVs, minivans, and pickups is that they're very tall. Minivans and pickups are not "in" or "hip," and so people are not going to buy them unless they actually need them. People buy SUVs, it seems, because they can. There was some article I read some time ago that asked girls what kind of car they'd like their man to drive. Most were turned off by exotics, thinking the dude would be compensating for something, and most were turned on by the idea of a "big rugged SUV." A pickup can haul a lot of crap, can actually tow, is rugged, and with double cabs can transport a family of 5.

Sorry for the thought diarrhea style of writing, but those were most of my points. If I failed to address a point of yours, I trust you'll let me know.
Old 05-11-05, 02:02 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks like one hell of a truck.
Old 05-11-05, 02:36 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Maybe that's why the R-class starts at $50k? *shrugs*

I guess my point was that SUVs are rugged minivans and exist and are popular because they are "in." It has no more utility to most people than a luxury minivan would.

One thing I don't like about SUVs, minivans, and pickups is that they're very tall. Minivans and pickups are not "in" or "hip," and so people are not going to buy them unless they actually need them. People buy SUVs, it seems, because they can. There was some article I read some time ago that asked girls what kind of car they'd like their man to drive. Most were turned off by exotics, thinking the dude would be compensating for something, and most were turned on by the idea of a "big rugged SUV." A pickup can haul a lot of crap, can actually tow, is rugged, and with double cabs can transport a family of 5.

Sorry for the thought diarrhea style of writing, but those were most of my points. If I failed to address a point of yours, I trust you'll let me know.
No man I'm following you, and I'm glad we can keep these discussions civilized.

The whole notion of "in" or "hip" is just so interesting to me however. That implies that pop culture, from rap to sitcoms influence what people will actually drive. Think about that...it's like choosing your college based on something as arbitrary as the success of their sports team (which is a completely separate issue I don't wanna get into here). And like you said, people buy SUVs because they CAN, and because it's the "thing to do".

And along with image, we know that men (specifically college educated 25-35 with a disposable income) will do many things to please women, or things they think women will like. Again, this is counterintuitive to what I, and probably most rational people would consider "right". But advertising and pop culture influence along with the notion of success and trendiness the car market has are all major influences on th explosion of SUVs.

James
Old 05-11-05, 02:40 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

No man I'm following you, and I'm glad we can keep these discussions civilized.

The whole notion of "in" or "hip" is just so interesting to me however. That implies that pop culture, from rap to sitcoms influence what people will actually drive. Think about that...it's like choosing your college based on something as arbitrary as the success of their sports team (which is a completely separate issue I don't wanna get into here). And like you said, people buy SUVs because they CAN, and because it's the "thing to do".

And along with image, we know that men (specifically college educated 25-35 with a disposable income) will do many things to please women, or things they think women will like. Again, this is counterintuitive to what I, and probably most rational people would consider "right". But advertising and pop culture influence along with the notion of success and trendiness the car market has are all major influences on th explosion of SUVs.

James
I'm just surprised more women don't think of men as "compensating" when they purchase SUVs, just as they do when they buy Porsches or Ferraris or whatnot.
Old 05-11-05, 02:53 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I'm just surprised more women don't think of men as "compensating" when they purchase SUVs, just as they do when they buy Porsches or Ferraris or whatnot.
Good point. I love going fast, so I want a performance car. What I've seen quite often is shorter guys buying lifted trucks or SUVs. Whether this is a coincidence, a subconscious decision, or blatant contempt to their challenge of vertical expansion ( ) it's just something I've noticed. Oh well, I do what I do for me, forget what the ladies say!

James
Old 05-11-05, 03:06 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Good point. I love going fast, so I want a performance car. What I've seen quite often is shorter guys buying lifted trucks or SUVs. Whether this is a coincidence, a subconscious decision, or blatant contempt to their challenge of vertical expansion ( ) it's just something I've noticed. Oh well, I do what I do for me, forget what the ladies say!

James
You must have a girlfriend then.
Old 05-11-05, 04:59 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

You must have a girlfriend then.
Haha believe it or not, I do! But we have a good understanding about keeping our uniqenesses. But that's for another thread, back on topic!!!

James