Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Maybach Exelero Showcar

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-05, 01:23 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie
Thats Claus Ludwig (DTM champ and Le Mans driver) he is pretty short.
But that car is still 2660 kg.( well over 5000 lb.+) that's very big & heavy for a 2 door coupe.
Old 05-13-05, 01:49 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AmethySC
But that car is still 2660 kg.( well over 5000 lb.+) that's very big & heavy for a 2 door coupe.
LOL, also very true.
Old 05-14-05, 09:57 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where are the wheels? i mean they got the rest of the car reveald but those black things over the wheels. maybe they are thinking of sometype of design for them
Old 05-15-05, 08:29 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I was wondering about them too.
I don't like those 5 hole turbine style wheels on the other pics either, they look like those that comes with the AMG Sports package of the SL this year
Old 05-15-05, 10:25 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I was wondering about them too.
I don't like those 5 hole turbine style wheels on the other pics either, they look like those that comes with the AMG Sports package of the SL this year
I like those rims...
Old 05-15-05, 10:47 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Koma
I like those rims...
I like these rims much better on the SL55

They are the same as those that comes standard on the SL65, except the graphite color finish :

. . . but those rims are a $7,000 extra cost accessories though
Old 05-15-05, 10:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

i honestly think the wheels on the amg cars are super nice
Old 05-15-05, 03:16 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AJL0365
where are the wheels? i mean they got the rest of the car reveald but those black things over the wheels. maybe they are thinking of sometype of design for them
Did you see the tape all along the front gaps? I think they were doing some high speed testing.

R

CAR IS BAD FREAKING A$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-15-05, 07:11 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Insane. Go Benz
Old 05-16-05, 08:57 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Driving report (translated)

... der Maybach kommt auf die Bühne, damit ...

Hochleistungs-Reifen im 23-Zoll-Format: zweilagige Karkasse, Nylon- und Kevlar-Fäden verwebt – so bleiben die Walzen bei den ungeheuren Kräften jenseits der 350 km/h stabil.

Abdeckungen aus Carbon vor den Felgen garantieren bestmögliche Aerodynamik. Teures Tanken: Der Exelero schluckt 110-Oktan-Benzin (rund sechs Euro pro Liter) für mehr Leistung.

Driving report May brook Exelero

The monster of May brook

Record travel of the superlative: With a prototype May brook and tire manufacturer Fulda broke through the 350-km/h-Schallmauer. AUTO PICTURE participated exclusive.

The record falls briefly after sunrise. And the shade, which throws the technicians and engineers, is still very long, when the thing comes from the steep curve. Like an approaching thunderstorm sounds. Like an easy earthquake feels. It looks like an enormous cannon ball. Then fly 2.6 tons by the light barrier. Seconds later the black monster disappeared again. Ears, eyes, belly and heart relax slowly. And then one says about a laptop bent: "three hundred einundfuenfzig kommavierfuenf."

Twenty months before: On the IAA 2003 in Frankfurt representatives of the tire manufacturer Fulda plug and from DaimlerChrysler the heads together. Fulda develops a high speed tire in the 23-Zoll-Format, and May brook returns on the large autostage. Both remember 1938, when Fulda planned already once a high-speed tire, at that time for speed 200, and May brook a streamline vehicle on basis of the SW 38 for it built. History, so the plan, is to repeat itself. Ex-Mercedes-boss Juergen Hubbert sounded itself the idea and said only: "then that makes times." The car should be called like the tire: "Exelero".

Back in Nardo , for that twelve kilometers are enough high-speed roundabout in South Italies. Klaus Ludwig (55) arrived. The racing veteran is to crack with the May brook Exelero for a 2,6-Tonnen-Auto enormous sound barrier of 350 km/h. An official speed record cannot become that, but those would have had to be present engine haven world union FIA. The money, which the federation requires, was rather put into the car. Behind the huefthohen box wall the monster stands: black, broadly, strongly.

Basis is the May brook 57 , but this Coupé is here flatter (18 centimeters), more broadly (27 centimeters), longer (16 centimeters) and around ten centimeters below than the series sedan. Unterboden lining from aluminum , rohrrahmen, over it a skin from carbon . The A-column was tilted including cockpit by 40 centimeters to the rear shifted, the b-column by 20 degrees, in front the overhangs longer, in the back more briefly, three adjustable spoilers at the tail - a metamorphosis of elegantly too exorbitantly. The Exelero of Design boss Harald Leschke and four students of the elite professional school Pforzheim was drawn.

Only a 1:4-Modell in the wind tunnel landed, then a 1:1-Version. 40 tests on one day pressed the w-Wert of 0,345 on under 0,27. He was built by the company Stola in turin. "the success secret consists of reaching with the correct aerodynamics and an extremely strong engine a stable handling. These three components on a maximum to bring, that is the art ", explains Juergen Weissinger, the development leader May brook of the project. The father of the Zwoelfzylinder Biturbos is called Roland Kemmler. It let increase the capacity of 5,5 to 5,9 litres, screwed the maximum torque to 1020 Nm and increased the load pressure. Result: smooth 700 HP. A comparatively light exercise is that, because "the most important default was the maximum achievement", says Kemmler.

Klaus Ludwig does not say first of all nothing at all. Such high-speed travels require just as much concentration like a running. When it races briefly on it the first time by the light barrier, 344 is indicated km/h. The second attempt. On the computer the number appears 342. On the Schnauzer of Juergen Weissinger form fine welding drops.

As Ludwig, reports he, the laptop in the car steps out 1000 meters announced after the measuring station 352.6. While gruebeln, the pilot tells engineers: "you can drive speed 300 still with a hand. With 350 a mulmiges feeling then already rides along, even if the car remains stable and hardly vibrated. I tried to remain relaxed." Ludwig makes a gesture with the hand, which is to mean: Harmless is here in no case. Also a running driver professional krallt himself with such forces in the steering wheel. Meanwhile one acts: the light barrier around 2000 meters shifts, which driving direction because of the wind changed, which course-paves enormous radiator grille with tape around again three centimeters.

Fulda boss Bernd J. Hoffmann tells proudly of the tires: two-part carcass, nylon and kevlar threads weave, then the rollers remain stable with the tremendous forces beyond the 350 km/h. A wheel weighs 36 Kilos. For the record attempt the depth of profile of the tires was reduced to four to seven millimeters. A problem remains still: The light barrier is too highly adjusted and measures because of the steep curve inaccurately. Thus the passage is built more closely and 50 centimeters long steel seaweeds to the apron is screwed in front, in order to optimize the measuring accuracy. And then it lights up, the 351,45. No rejoicing, for it easement, satisfies joy, pride.

No humans need a car like the May brook Exelero? And if already. This car drives beyond all discussions around breakdown statistics, exhaust standards and values consumed. This car is pure fascination of German engineer art. A Unikat will remain. Whether such a project sense results in in a company, whose section, to which also May brook belongs, booked straight scarcely a billion euro loss, is another question. It does not place itself. Not here, not today. Here and today we tear the head around and look with entruecktem smile the monster of May brook afterwards, how it races into the coming up sun.

Technical data: V12-Biturbo • three valves for each cylinders • capacity 5900 cm³ • achievement 515 KW (700 HP) • max. Torque 1020 Nm • rear-wheel drive • five-course mechanism • electrohydraulical brake system SBC • consumption zirka 50 Liter/100 km super plus (110 oktan) • level of fuel in the tank of 110 litres • length/width/height 5890/2140/1390 mm • tire 315/25 ZR 23 XL • unloaded weight 2600 kg • point 351.45 km/h

source : autobild.de
Old 05-16-05, 08:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Berühmter Kreisverkehr: Die Teststrecke in Nardo in Süditalien ist das Mekka der Prototypen-Erprobung und Geschwindigkeitsrekorde.
Old 05-16-05, 09:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i wonder why they have to make the car so long?

and come on, don't cover up the wheels
Old 05-16-05, 09:30 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i wonder why they have to make the car so long?

and come on, don't cover up the wheels
To achieve a 50/50 weight distribution in a FR configuration, like the SLR?

Yeah...and I thought they had blacked-out wheels. Turns out that they were covering up such beautiful mesh wheels.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 05-16-05 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-16-05, 09:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
To achieve a 50/50 weight distribution in a FR configuration, like the SLR?

Yeah...and I thought they had blacked-out wheels. Turns out that they were covering up such beautiful mesh wheels.
50/50, umm.... maybe.....

and yeah when i look at the first pic i was like umm.... interesting, why can't i see the rotor and caliper? man, no wonder...
Old 05-21-05, 04:47 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

I know this is susposed to be a "one off production" but what are the odds that they will end up making it anyway? I think its absolutly breathtaking. I have waited soooo long for this kind of styling. Anyone know how much that company paid for it?

Last edited by BigVIPness; 05-21-05 at 05:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Maybach Exelero Showcar