Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which would you get and why? Supercharger, Turbo, Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-05 | 05:26 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Twin turbo is a 90's bling trend. Not too indifferent to other trends that overdid it to make the bling factor higher. A single turbo can yield as good of numbers, and be much more tuneable and dependable.
Old 05-16-05 | 11:06 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xravexboix
Which car do you have, which one would you put in it and why?

FWD Solara... Supercharger... turbo charging it is REALLY stupid. The supercharger would add overall power and make it (slightly) more fun to drive than a beater FR =D

Hello Jeff. Just a few seconds ago, I checked your PM from solaraguy.com I'll try to visit your "turf" more often as I should. PM is sent in a few sec regarding supercharging. Thanks for helping us out.
Old 05-17-05 | 12:34 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Richie
Indeed it wouldn't work too well with a centrifugal supercharger.
The setup works best with a eaton type supercharger.
In short, the supercharger is there to get the turbo at speed sooner then with only the big single.
Most setups disconnect the SC when the turbo is making boost so the stress on the engine isn't greater then with a Turbo only.
Look at the old Detroit Diesel 6V-92TA engine used in transit buses from the 80s, it used a roots blower and a Garrett turbo together, it's slow off the line, but a bus with a 6V-92TA flies at high speed.
Old 05-17-05 | 08:39 AM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2000gs300
Hello Jeff. Just a few seconds ago, I checked your PM from solaraguy.com I'll try to visit your "turf" more often as I should. PM is sent in a few sec regarding supercharging. Thanks for helping us out.
Anythign for anyone that falls into the front wheel drive money pit known as the Toyota Camry Solara... LOL
Old 05-17-05 | 10:29 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by Richie
Like others have said, Toyota offered a MR2 in the 80's with both a supercharger and turbocharger. It wasn't sold in great numbers but it did get produced.
I'm pretty sure this is false. I know Toyota offered a MR2 with a supercharger; but it never came with a turbo from the factory. I'd have seen something about it by now...
BUT
a very common upgrade is to put a turbocharger on the motors and make it twincharged... there are a suprising amount of twincharged 80s model MR2s running around, plenty of info at the mr2 forums
Old 05-17-05 | 02:08 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bean
I'm pretty sure this is false. I know Toyota offered a MR2 with a supercharger; but it never came with a turbo from the factory. I'd have seen something about it by now...
BUT
a very common upgrade is to put a turbocharger on the motors and make it twincharged... there are a suprising amount of twincharged 80s model MR2s running around, plenty of info at the mr2 forums
My bad, I thought they came from the factory this way.
Old 05-17-05 | 02:19 PM
Koma
CL Folding 25,000

The generation before last had a turbo charger. The same engine that's in the All-Trac Celica. So some MR2s had turbochargers.
Old 05-17-05 | 02:22 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

80s MR2 was supercharged
90s MR2 was (option) turbocharged (3S-GTE)
00s MR2 is... N/A... but lightweight again!
Old 05-17-05 | 02:23 PM
Koma
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by nthach
Look at the old Detroit Diesel 6V-92TA engine used in transit buses from the 80s, it used a roots blower and a Garrett turbo together, it's slow off the line, but a bus with a 6V-92TA flies at high speed.
That's still using a pulley though.
I'd love to be able to use a centrifugal supercharger and turbo charger at the same time. But it'd be trying to compress air that was already compressed.
I guess maybe something would spool faster? But there's a limit to how compressed air can get. They'd have to be both very strong turbos and centrifugals. I don't know how good it is for a turbo or centrifugal to try to compress something already compressed. Something would break. I doubt much of any car would have room for it anyway.
Somebody do it and we'll see if it fails!