Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which would you get and why? Supercharger, Turbo, Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-05, 08:51 AM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which would you get and why? Supercharger, Turbo, Twin Turbo

Which car do you have, which one would you put in it and why?

FWD Solara... Supercharger... turbo charging it is REALLY stupid. The supercharger would add overall power and make it (slightly) more fun to drive than a beater FR =D

Last edited by xravexboix; 05-14-05 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-14-05, 11:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks...GS3Tek just bought a Solara convertible and is considering a TRD supercharger for it.
Old 05-14-05, 11:20 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

For a fun car I'd get a Supra with a supercharger and a big turbocharger (compound charging).
Something for the sprints.
Old 05-14-05, 11:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie
For a fun car I'd get a Supra with a supercharger and a big turbocharger (compound charging).
Something for the sprints.
Twin-turbo street-legal versions rated at 320 HP were sold from the factory here at American Toyota dealerships from 1993 to about 1996 or 1997. They are available as used cars here....don't know about Holland.
This is the same in-line-6 block that is used in the Lexus IS300 in normally aspirated form (and, of course, in non-turbo Supras).
Old 05-14-05, 01:34 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Twin-turbo street-legal versions rated at 320 HP were sold from the factory here at American Toyota dealerships from 1993 to about 1996 or 1997. They are available as used cars here....don't know about Holland.
This is the same in-line-6 block that is used in the Lexus IS300 in normally aspirated form (and, of course, in non-turbo Supras).
1997 was the 15th Anniversary Edition and one more was out, so 1998 was the final year of the Mark IV Supra in the USA.

I've heard of those supercharger + turbo set-ups but have never seen one before... any links ?
Old 05-14-05, 06:35 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think Richie knows all about the MKIV Supra with TT or I-6. He just stated that the most funs would be a SC Supra from the get go and then boost it at 3,200 rpm. The best of both worlds wiithout NOS( if any shop can do that mods).
Old 05-14-05, 07:09 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as far as i know, i have never seen a super/turbo charger combo... and as far as i know, none exists. not to say that it is impossible, it seems to be theoretically possible to have one belt driven and then another exhaust driven, but it may not be a beneficial or economical setup. the twin turbo supra is plenty fine on the low end, its running sequential twin turbos and boosts from 2350 range i believe. do yo really need lower end power? i dont think so.

my personal opinion is that turbos are more fun... sure, linear powerbands are good.. .but the ones with a big jumps are more fun to drive IMO. sequential twin turbos are cool because you get low and high end power, but there are reasons why a single setup is more beneficial. one, the power is bigger on a single and two, its much lighter to have one turbo.

i would pick sequentials so that you dont have to really kick it in if you dont want to, but ud still be boosting... and if u really want to let it loose, you can.
Old 05-14-05, 07:14 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

There is an articel in this month's Sport Compact Car about twin charging (supercharging and turbocharging).
Old 05-14-05, 11:02 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

VW Golf 1.8T, they need very little mods for power.
Old 05-14-05, 11:22 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

as far as i know, i have never seen a super/turbo charger combo... and as far as i know, none exists
I saw a twin charged MR2 (turboed a supercharged MR2) at Toysport way back in the early 90's.
Old 05-15-05, 12:05 AM
Koma

It'd be awesome to do a compound charge with centrifugal superchager. But I guess it wouldn't work all that great. You'd be compressing air that's already compressed.
That'd be the way to go for me.
Does compound charging put a lot of stress on the engine?
Old 05-15-05, 12:19 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my car with the lmw supercharger lots of power plus its really shiny
Old 05-15-05, 03:06 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by VVT-i
I think Richie knows all about the MKIV Supra with TT or I-6. He just stated that the most funs would be a SC Supra from the get go and then boost it at 3,200 rpm. The best of both worlds wiithout NOS( if any shop can do that mods).
Nuum, you hit the nail right on the head!!!!
That was the idea, great drivability and good power (less lag).
Old 05-15-05, 03:11 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dynasty SC
as far as i know, i have never seen a super/turbo charger combo... and as far as i know, none exists. not to say that it is impossible, it seems to be theoretically possible to have one belt driven and then another exhaust driven, but it may not be a beneficial or economical setup. the twin turbo supra is plenty fine on the low end, its running sequential twin turbos and boosts from 2350 range i believe. do yo really need lower end power? i dont think so.

my personal opinion is that turbos are more fun... sure, linear powerbands are good.. .but the ones with a big jumps are more fun to drive IMO. sequential twin turbos are cool because you get low and high end power, but there are reasons why a single setup is more beneficial. one, the power is bigger on a single and two, its much lighter to have one turbo.

i would pick sequentials so that you dont have to really kick it in if you dont want to, but ud still be boosting... and if u really want to let it loose, you can.

Like others have said, Toyota offered a MR2 in the 80's with both a supercharger and turbocharger. It wasn't sold in great numbers but it did get produced.
Also Lancia built a rallycar in the 80's that had the same setup and did pretty well in competition.
A couple of months back SCC magazine did this setup on a 2nd gen. with a V6 (camry) swap and made about 600 hp.

So for a car that you also use for other things then drag racing or any other from of racing a setup like this could make some sense.
Old 05-15-05, 03:17 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
It'd be awesome to do a compound charge with centrifugal superchager. But I guess it wouldn't work all that great. You'd be compressing air that's already compressed.
That'd be the way to go for me.
Does compound charging put a lot of stress on the engine?
Indeed it wouldn't work too well with a centrifugal supercharger.
The setup works best with a eaton type supercharger.
In short, the supercharger is there to get the turbo at speed sooner then with only the big single.
Most setups disconnect the SC when the turbo is making boost so the stress on the engine isn't greater then with a Turbo only.

Quick Reply: Which would you get and why? Supercharger, Turbo, Twin Turbo