Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Servicing Rental Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-05, 02:45 PM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Servicing Rental Vehicles

I'd be best asking Budget or Hertz about this, but I thought I might as well check here to see if anybody here has any experience with something like this before hand. If I rent a car and get it serviced whilst I have it, would I be able to get my money back?
Quite a while ago, I had a rental Grand Marquis which I got it serviced twice at the expense of the rental company (drove it 12,000 km whilst I had it)...but I didn't take it out of the country at the time. The scenario is kind of different now. I'm considering a roadtrip out of the country over the summer and thought it would make sense to rent a vehicle for 2 weeks or so instead of taking mine. Insurance would be a higher for that, but servicing also comes to mind. My estimate is that I'll be putting about 20,000 km on the odometer...
For those of you who drove rental vehicles out of state, did you ever have to deal with servicing? I'm wondering if I can just take it to their branch/service centers in the countries I'm driving through for this, but not sure. In the end it is a rental car, and its up the rental company to schedule servicing for it...but I wouldn't really be able to drive it 20,000+ km without at least having the oil changed. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 05-18-05, 08:34 PM
twentyone
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do you still need an answer to this???
Old 05-19-05, 10:12 AM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ask them about it before you get the car... i've never heard of people getting the car serviced LOL

for lexus loan cars, you may get reimbursed for gas... but that's a service to you

you're paying for the enterprise/hertz/whatever it may be and you're expected to return it w/ a full tank of gas... so ya...
Old 05-20-05, 11:40 AM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let me give you my input since i handle the fleet maintance on about 300-400 cars at a world known rental car company which ill leave unnamed just for certain reasons. im not sure how other companies policies work, but you might run into a few issues first. first check to see if you can take the rental car into another country or state etc. i know we alow other states but to a certain extent. the other issue is milage. some compaines only give you a couple hundred free miles a day etc. find out if the mileage is unlimited. and as far as oil changes etc.... some companies have service centers onsite and they do them theirselvs, while others might take it to a repair shop that does their oil changes etc. so what you should do is ask the rental car company if you can get it done and get reimbursed for the bill (make sure u have the receipt) or see if another location can do it for you on their premises.
hope this helps