Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW now says new M5 will get manual gearbox in North America

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-05, 06:58 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default BMW now says new M5 will get manual gearbox in North America

MUNICH, Germany -- BMW has changed its plans and will add a manual transmission to its new M5 high-performance sedan.

The six-speed transmission will be offered in North America because customers asked for an alternative to the seven-speed automatic transmission.

The M5 went on sale in Europe in April. It arrives in North American showrooms this fall with the automatic gearbox only. The manual will join the lineup in late 2006 or early 2007.

Last fall, BMW executives told journalists the company would offer just the automatic gearbox on the M5 because it was "sportier" than a manual transmission.

But Ulrich Bruhnke, the executive in charge of BMW's M-class models, said a "hard-core community" of buyers in North America prefer a manual transmission.

Bruhnke said no decision had been made on whether the M5 will get a manual transmission in Europe.

"The U.S. is our largest single market, where about 50 percent of our production goes," he said. "If we see the opportunity to generate additional sales, we will respond."

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102375
Old 05-16-05, 07:53 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts
Thumbs up

That's the way it should be

What about the M6 ? It should get one too. This is the car that exites me much more than the M5 with the V10. . .
Old 05-16-05, 08:13 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AmethySC

That's the way it should be

What about the M6 ? It should get one too. This is the car that exites me much more than the M5 with the V10. . .
THANK YOU!! SMG is and should NOT be a manual replacement but an option. Nothing like a clutch pedal......

Old 05-16-05, 09:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Manual transmissions are fine for uncongested areas but just don't cut it in big cities.

What BMW needs to do even more than manual trannies is to first get rid of that f - - -ing I-Drive and then start putting some SOLIDNESS back into their cars like they did up to just a few years ago. The new 5-series, especially, is a prime example of this......IMO it is like a tin can compared to its SUPERB predecessor. At the Washington, DC Auto Show last December BMW had old and new 5-series back-to-back. I examined and sat in the old one, then examined and sat in the new one, and literally wanted to cry.

BTW, even some of the BMW reps there privately agreed with me...out of earshot, of course.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-16-05 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-16-05, 09:14 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Manual transmissions are fine for uncongested areas but just don't cut it in big cities.
Manual transmissions are the vast majority (~80%) in very congested cities in Europe & Asia, & people are generally not complaining . . .

M5 & M6 are not cars meant to be enjoyed in congested traffic anyway, it's more suited to be a weekend car where you drive to more remote roads/track to have fun with . . .
Old 05-16-05, 09:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

this is awesome news. the car might not be as fast on the track, but who cares, i am driving it on the road

though i have to say, if autoweek wants to stay a tad professional, they should NOT say "instead of 7 speed automatic transimission". that's just wrong...
Old 05-16-05, 09:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Manual transmissions are the vast majority (~80%) in very congested cities in Europe & Asia, & people are generally not complaining . . .

M5 & M6 are not cars meant to be enjoyed in congested traffic anyway, it's more suited to be a weekend car where you drive to more remote roads/track to have fun with . . .
True.....but Europeans have always been more accepting of manual gearboxes than here....for a number of reasons.
Old 05-16-05, 09:50 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

What BMW needs to do even more than manual trannies is to first get rid of that f - - -ing I-Drive and then start putting some SOLIDNESS back into their cars like they did up to just a few years ago. The new 5-series, especially, is a prime example of this......IMO it is like a tin can compared to its SUPERB predecessor. At the Washington, DC Auto Show last December BMW had old and new 5-series back-to-back. I examined and sat in the old one, then examined and sat in the new one, and literally wanted to cry.

BTW, even some of the BMW reps there privately agreed with me...out of earshot, of course.
I'm sure that I am wrong, mmarshall, but I don't think that the majority of Bangle's-design owners even notice the reduction of solidness/quality materials used. They just know that it's a new design, hence newer should be better. Better yet, I'd say 9/10 don't even know who Bangle is.

And for people who haven't owned a BMW before will certainly have no idea what they've missed or something to compare to

So many options for BMWs though
Old 05-16-05, 11:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I'm sure that I am wrong, mmarshall, but I don't think that the majority of Bangle's-design owners even notice the reduction of solidness/quality materials used. They just know that it's a new design, hence newer should be better. Better yet, I'd say 9/10 don't even know who Bangle is.

And for people who haven't owned a BMW before will certainly have no idea what they've missed or something to compare to

So many options for BMWs though
I don't know if you are wrong or not about the new BMW owners. But I can assure you...I noticed it.
That's not to say that EVERYTHING on the new ones is a step backwards, though. BMW engines and transmissions continue to evolve and improve....though 500 HP on the new M5 may be a little overkill.
Old 05-16-05, 12:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I don't know if you are wrong or not about the new BMW owners. But I can assure you...I noticed it.
That's not to say that EVERYTHING on the new ones is a step backwards, though. BMW engines and transmissions continue to evolve and improve....though 500 HP on the new M5 may be a little overkill.
hahaha, when you see a 70 yr old guy using handicapped sign in his sl55 or sl600 (seen both before already), that's overkill

get the right person inside the 500hp m5, that's a good match
Old 05-16-05, 02:06 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rominl
hahaha, when you see a 70 yr old guy using handicapped sign in his sl55 or sl600 (seen both before already), that's overkill

get the right person inside the 500hp m5, that's a good match
You remember that 60+ year old guy speeding & racing & crashing his RSX into a Mercedes dealership lot right ? Imagine what he'll do with a SL55/600
Old 05-16-05, 03:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You remember that 60+ year old guy speeding & racing & crashing his RSX into a Mercedes dealership lot right ? Imagine what he'll do with a SL55/600
Well...anyone, any age, can wreck a car drag-racing. The worst records of this type of accident are actually with 16-18 year-olds, not geezers.
Old 05-16-05, 04:25 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMW went in the right direction with a manual for the M5. A car like that needs it.

I'd take a manual over an auto anytime and I frequently drive my car into Manhattan. Queens traffic is bad enough.
Old 05-16-05, 05:50 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont really car what sort of a transmission the ///M's get as long as they drive it like an ///M!
Old 05-16-05, 06:46 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eh I dont mind manual in heavy traffic, it keeps my calf muscle strong.

... now heavy duty aftermarket clutch in a big city... too much calf exercise...

Quick Reply: BMW now says new M5 will get manual gearbox in North America