Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Subaru Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-05, 12:42 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2007 Subaru Impreza

Does this magazine have any credibilty?

Quote, originally posted by From AutoExpress Magazine »
IMPREZA HOT HATCH ON WAY

Auto Express can exclusively reveal the Japanese firm has outrageous plans for the next Impreza. Altering a formula which has proved a success for the past 12 years is a bold move, but the introduction of an Impreza hatch follows Mitsubishi's plans to radically alter its Evo line-up.

The decision confirms comments made by Impreza chief engineer, Hiroshi Mori, who told Auto Express that the next-generation car "might take a new design direction, and could be smaller". So why have designers turned their back on saloons? The new car will be smaller, lighter and cheaper to produce than the four-door, and should have better handling, thanks to its short wheelbase and stiffer body.

Led by ex-Alfa Romeo and SEAT designer Andreas Zapatinas, Subaru's styling department has not only opted for a squared-off finish at the rear, but a long nose as well - bringing the new model into line with the look of many European hatches. The front overhang will house the turbo motor's intercooler, which will be moved from its current position at the top of the engine bay.

With the new car not due until 2007, Subaru has a facelifted Impreza saloon already waiting in the wings. Exclusively revealed by Auto Express in Issue 838, it will be launched at the end of this year, before going on sale early in 2006.

The Impreza hatch will sit on a shortened Legacy chassis. The plan is to introduce basic 1.5 and 2.0-litre variants, with flagship models coming with a 2.0-litre 300bhp turbo motor. Five and six-speed manual gearboxes will be available, along with a five-speed auto.

Despite the extra versatility provided by the five-door body shape, engineers won't compromise the Impreza's handling for practicality. Unlike the Legacy, which has compact rear suspension to maximise boot space, the Impreza will use a layout that will optimise driving dynamics.

To enhance the cornering potential even more, engineers and test drivers will also develop an advanced version of the current Driver Controlled Centre Differential (DCCD). This allows more torque to be channelled to the rear wheels for sharper turn-in.

No matter how good the handling, it remains to be seen whether loyal fans will warm to the idea of an Impreza hatchback.
Old 05-16-05, 12:45 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

here they have s second pic that looks better in my opnion.
Old 05-16-05, 12:50 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the hell?
The first one looks like a focus, and the second one looks like an Alfa Romeo.

I think the previous gen (2.5 rs) had the cleanest design.
Old 05-16-05, 01:50 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that first one looks FOUL. The second isn't that bad, i agree the front has a alfa look to it.

I wish they would remake the SVX that was the best model subaru ever made (IMO). im actually looking to buy an older one for a second car (work car)

J
Old 05-16-05, 03:01 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

That redesign is a huge step in the wrong direction IMO.
Old 05-16-05, 05:07 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by robloc93
here they have s second pic that looks better in my opnion.
Is this following the Tribeca thing?
Old 05-16-05, 05:09 PM
Koma

Finally a coupe again! I would buy it up in a second if they kept more to the current style but coupe and hatch.
Old 05-16-05, 05:47 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

The second one looks better than the one on the market right now. Im not even going to comment on the first pic because everything i start thinking about it my lunch re-visits my mouth
Old 05-17-05, 12:55 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Koma
Is this following the Tribeca thing?
Yes,Subaru has stated they will change their design language, resembling the Tribeca,but introduced on the B9 Scrambler concept.The car's name and front-end treatment pay homage to Subaru's aircraft heritage. The center grille looks like a jet intake while the headlight design and side grille have a sort of wing look.

Last edited by robloc93; 05-17-05 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-17-05, 01:46 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

the first pic looks like a celica with the side profile and triangular headlamps.
Old 05-17-05, 02:25 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by robloc93
Yes,Subaru has stated they will chance they're design language resembling the Tribeca,but introduced on the B9 Scrambler concept.The car's name and front-end treatment pay homage to Subaru's aircraft heritage. The center grille looks like a jet intake while the headlight design and side grille have a sort of wing look.
Booooo... I don't like it. Keep wtih the cool headlights and the normal grilles.
But awesome with the coupe!
Old 05-17-05, 02:30 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by FLiP Sp33d
the first pic looks like a celica with the side profile and triangular headlamps.
Acutually I think it is!
The rear end is a perfect match for the current Celica. If you got that optional spoiler.
It looks too much like a Celica. The scoop looks more like a Celica one than the STi. The spoiler is definitely Celica. They're changing to a coupe-hatch. Those headlights need to stretched back a bit more and you might have a Celica. That little Subie emblem is located roughly where the Celica has the toyota.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 Subaru Impreza-celica.jpg  
Old 05-18-05, 07:29 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I know this guy is an ex Alfa deisgner but is that the only grille his genius mind can ever think up? Fine, it worked on the Alfa and gave them their own characteristics. Sooby doesn't need a risque grilled to show their personality. Plus, as many have said, it is butt ugly.

I liked the old 2.5rs, I liked the bug eyed Imprezas, and IMO, the current one isn't all that bad either. This however is just lightyears in the wrong direction.

James
Old 05-19-05, 10:29 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Here's yet another rendering:
Old 06-05-05, 07:15 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like they got at least some credibility...

Quick Reply: 2007 Subaru Impreza