Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 Honda 745Li Accord

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-05, 02:00 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Nope, they all debut the same time worldwide. In the case of the IS 300, Europe got it in 1997 as did Japan as an Altezza. We got it in 01 as an IS. So for that car you can argue either or. But it WAS indeed sold as an IS, not just an Altezza.
Well.. there was the first gen Soarer which we never saw also.
BUT WE NEVER GET THE COOL CARS!
Old 05-18-05, 02:45 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matters
Seriously man, I think you are way off track comparing the Accord-745Li debacle to the Lexus/Toyota thing.

Think about it: a Lexus ES300 is a Toyota Windom and Lexus LS430 is a Toytota Celsior and a Lexus Rx330 is a Toyota Harrier. These cars are practically identical and are made on the same assembly line by the same people with the same parts. We are talking a mere difference of a badge we Lexus/Toyota. They are the same grade of car because they are the same car (As was said before I would have bought my GS300 even if it was badged a Toyota Aristo - we're talking about the quality of car here)..

A Honda Accord on the other hand IS NOT a BMW 745Li. It is not identical to a 7-series and it is not made on the same assembly line and it is not made by the same people and it is not made with the same parts. A Honda Accord is not the same grade of car as the 7 series, it's not the same size, it's not the same style, it's not the same engine.

If a person imports a Toyota Windom and slaps Lexus ES300 badges on it - I've got no problem, because it's the same car. If a person slaps BMW 745Li badges on a perfectly good Honda Accord - well that's just plain embarassing and stupid. On the other hand it may be an exercise in irony, but there is fine line between dry humour and just being a fool.
I agree with the lexus/toyota example, but would like to know what you thought of the Honda Passport. It's an Isuzu SUV that Honda has put their badge on and sold as a HOnda. Same situation with the Geo Prism, Storm, Tracker, etc. GM rebadges the Corolla, Isuzu Impulse, and Suzuki sidekick.

Manufacturer actually spent millions to rebadge and market these vehicles in an attempt to make millions back or at least save millions in govt. taxes. Is this stupid? It should be embarassing when a manufacturer has to rebadge another makes vehicle as their own and spent millions trying to fool people into forking out cash for it. Doesn't seem to bother GM or Honda and no one is talking **** about it online. But somehow everyone is all over these enthusiast who over modified their vehicles.

What this 745li accord dude thought to be dry humour, many here consider stupid. Obviously he's not trying to sell anyone a Honda BMW, nobody here is dumb enough to be fooled by it. If you didn't get close enough, you wouldn't even see the emblems. Honda on the other hand is trying to sell everyone a Honda Isuzu and thousand of people happily paid for it.

All these bashing is because a certain group of people think their taste in vehicle styling is superior to others, but these bashers are usually the first to get offended when others talk **** about their taste. It's all opinions. One mans ho is another mans love for life. Who's righter? If you saw that dude walking around with his ho, and you said, "wassup ho?" He'd kick your azz. But it's safer to talk **** behind the dudes back online. The big question is would everyone stop their trash talk if that dude got on the same forum and ask everyone to cool off?
Old 05-18-05, 02:47 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUS FAN!
it is funny because...

at my BMW dealership in Torrance there is a

BMW xB

They use white Scion xB's as their transportation cars, and they replaced the scion badges with BMW badges.
AAhhaa!!!!!!,Me and my brother spotted that xB on Hawthorne Blvd. passing the South Bay Galleria. we were in laughter for a good 10 minutes!!!
Old 05-18-05, 03:20 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Celicamaro, "rice" is a type of car, not type of person and we do not make comments that could be interpreted as bigotry or racist here.
It can't be the car since it's the people that make the cars look the way they do. Maybe I'm a little behind, but I haven't seen or heard about a car that can dress itself with loud paint jobs, hugh exhuast pipes and cheesy stiickers.

Until the word rice is replace with something else to group poorly modded vehicles, it'll always have a racist tone to it. It's propbably not that big of a deal in large cities like LA where most people own imports, but here in the midwest and other more conservative states, it's still race based. People here don't know that y'all have changed "rice" to describe poor vehicle stylin. Here, it still means asian. When you drive an asian car or motorcycle, you're driving rice and you're a Ricer. I've been called a Ricer many times for just driving a stock accord and maxima. I didn't even know that it was degoratory back in the old days, kind of like how many asians still don't know that being called "orientals" was demeaning. Life changes very slow in my town. So if it does sound racist everytime I bring this up, now you know where I'm coming from.

And the pic has now circulated around the auto communities. The basic response is the same WTF and why would someone put BMW badges on clearly, a car not a BMW.

Finally, your wrong about Lexus. Lexus are not rebadged Toyotas. Lexus cars are not sold as Toyotas then brought to America. Lexus are built as Lexus and sold as LExus everywhere BUT Japan. Lexus is REBADGED to Toyota. And that ends in 2006.
Bad news gets around fast online.

I don't know what year you're referring to, but the original ES250 was basically a camry V6 that has been sold since 1987. The ES even to this day is still basically a camry. Maybe it'll be different with the next gen, who knows. The only different in Japans version of non-ES lexus models sold here is the V8 engines and posiibly the trannies that go with them. I'm guessing you meant that starting with all 2006 models, Lexus will no longer share anything with Toyota models both here in the US and Japan?

Oh and the attachment provided, rice is a disease that affects all races.
Agreed, that's why I said that america is a nation of ricers. But that somehow doesn't go too well with some people.
Old 05-18-05, 03:39 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
And i would have still bought my GS even if it was a Toyota Aristo when it came over here

hell if they bring over the toyota crown ...id sell my GS and buy one of those
You say that now, but would you shell out 35-40K for a Toyota badge 15 years ago? Look at how awesome the MKIV SupraTT is and yet people say it was too expensive, but C4 Vette sales have never slowed eventho both vehicle cost the same but the Supra is the superior built and performed better. How about a Honda passport? Or Chevrolet Daewoo? Badging is very important to americans and still is. This might be why this dude feels the need to put a BMW emblem on his accord. He's a by-product of the american way of thinking.

But I think america is slowly becoming more open minded compared to just 15 years ago. In the mid 80s, people were smashing and burning japanese cars on their lawn live on national television to protest Japanese automakers attempt to build plants in the US. So hopefully "rice" will no longer have a racist tone to it. To better accellerate this process, l propose we get ride of the word "rice" all together and just call it "dumba$$".
Old 05-18-05, 04:09 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
maybe you are the one who'e being sensitve, neo didn't respond to you as a moderator, nor am i. but if you are sensitve enough, then yes you have two moderators reponding you now.

no one needs to prove you anything about the pictures. how about you prove us something (not that i care)? the truth, to me, is that no matter the pics were taken voluntarily or not, that car is still "modified" (jez i can't find a better word) in the worst possible way, period. he posted pictures of his car or what, his car is still a POS with the bmw emblems, that's the bottom line. and that's what most of us (yes, including me) are on to. even if no one ever took the pics, if i see that thing on the road i would still laugh my *** off and joke about it. so what? he decided to make his car that way on the road then i have every single right to laugh at it.
I welcome moderator joining in the fun and I appreciate their opinions, I just question why NEO directed posts towards me on 2 similar topic. It could just be a coincidence, but I'm wondering why and NEO has already answered it.

I'm not sure if that Accord with BMW emblems is a POS, it could probably be the most reliable, cheapest to own and longest lasting 7series ever. Heck it might even pick up chicks, can you imagine a handicap dude getting laid while an able body dude in the new faster Mustang GT isn't? I'd laughed my azz off.

and this is a forum, everyone can have their say. that's why your posts are allowed just equally as others. no one is special here. if i say something wrong or inappropriate i will also be moderated by someone else.

what you have posted was valid, i don't think anyone can deny that, and i don't think anyone is. but for all i care yours is nothing but speculations as well, and that's totally off from what everyone else is having "fun" on. at least me, i don't care what's the cause, i only care about the results of his car being stupid
I've always like this forum for the maturity and more open mindedness. Thanks for letting me know that you do respect others views eventho it may run contrary to your own or everyone elses.

I also understand everyone is just having fun poking fun at someone else's taste in vehicle styling. I'm only saying why not let people do what they want to their ride, didn't cost us a thing and they didn't break any laws. Would we like it if someone else made fun of our "classy, understated" ride? Probably not. Strange as it may seem, I'm actually promoting civilizeness.
Old 05-18-05, 04:57 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Celicamaro
I've always like this forum for the maturity and more open mindedness. Thanks for letting me know that you do respect others views eventho it may run contrary to your own or everyone elses.

I also understand everyone is just having fun poking fun at someone else's taste in vehicle styling. I'm only saying why not let people do what they want to their ride, didn't cost us a thing and they didn't break any laws. Would we like it if someone else made fun of our "classy, understated" ride? Probably not. Strange as it may seem, I'm actually promoting civilizeness.
Group hug guys?
Old 05-18-05, 05:00 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe the owner is trying to encourage BMW to make their vehicles as reliable as the Honda or he's suggesting Honda to put a V8 in a Honda.
Old 05-18-05, 05:11 PM
LexFather

also understand everyone is just having fun poking fun at someone else's taste in vehicle styling. I'm only saying why not let people do what they want to their ride, didn't cost us a thing and they didn't break any laws. Would we like it if someone else made fun of our "classy, understated" ride? Probably not. Strange as it may seem, I'm actually promoting civilizeness.
Listen here bub, when you post a pic on the internet, its fair game. Its an unwritten rule and its a risk you take. Not sure where the pics original website is from but as I stated, this pic is ALL OVER, so don't act like we are the only ones poking fun at it. Here is another example
http://www.caranddriver.com/idealbb/...?topicID=64811

AS for the rest, I am going to take a smoke break (and I don't smoke)

Old 05-18-05, 05:19 PM
LexFather

Looks like your forum, LOVES this guy, another thread about him..
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=404669
Attached Images  

Old 05-18-05, 05:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Celicamaro
I welcome moderator joining in the fun and I appreciate their opinions, I just question why NEO directed posts towards me on 2 similar topic. It could just be a coincidence, but I'm wondering why and NEO has already answered it.

I'm not sure if that Accord with BMW emblems is a POS, it could probably be the most reliable, cheapest to own and longest lasting 7series ever. Heck it might even pick up chicks, can you imagine a handicap dude getting laid while an able body dude in the new faster Mustang GT isn't? I'd laughed my azz off.

nah it's all good. we (at least me) always try to be as liberal as possible. we only start coming in as moderators when we feel the situation is out of control and need some "guidance"

and in this case, i think this thread has been very fair so far. i decided to chime in just to make sure everyone is cool and no one is trying to point finger at anyone else
Old 05-18-05, 06:07 PM
BLAZIN03GS
Driver

thats not right
Old 05-18-05, 06:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
nah it's all good. we (at least me) always try to be as liberal as possible. we only start coming in as moderators when we feel the situation is out of control and need some "guidance"

and in this case, i think this thread has been very fair so far. i decided to chime in just to make sure everyone is cool and no one is trying to point finger at anyone else
THATS IT HENRY!!!

Old 05-18-05, 06:20 PM
BLAZIN03GS
Driver

the new 745 are hott
Old 05-18-05, 06:29 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
oh Christ he's from Jersey too

i am so ashamed

im packing my bags and moving to Spain
I feel you on that...

I wonder where he stole those badges from? lol...

Quick Reply: 2006 Honda 745Li Accord