Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus tops quality survey again! 2005 JD Power Toyota GM dominate!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-05, 08:56 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't put much stock in J.D. Power ratings...for many reasons, which I have outlined before and won't rehash here. In general Consumer Reports is a much better index of auto reliability and quality.
Lexus on top? Fine....that agrees with most other surveys (and Consumer Reports too). I'll agree with that.
But there are just too many OTHER questionable rankings here. Jag in second place? I don't buy that....the X and S-Class in particular have had many problems. Mercedes ahead of Toyota? Come on. Mazda, oneof the better Japanese brands for quality, next to last? Scion...a Toyota division, two-thirds of the way down? Kia, one of the most improved brands in the buisness, even lower? And Subaru, which generally builds superb cars, just one point higher? Jeep right in the middle? Honda..a gold mine in reliability...12 points down? Acura even lower? (Yes, I know about the TL transmissions but still the rest of the car is like a Swiss watch) BMW in third place with the notorious electrical problems?

Now...I know this list is only for INITIAL quality, not long-term. Still, it is difficult for me to believe a lot of it. And I am not just basing that statement on personal opinions....but against many other sources as well. Consumer Reports in particular, if you look at their rankings, comes up with a far different picture than this.
I totally agree. Even though I respect this survey, and it is a fairly accurate indicator of overall car brand quality, it's only initial quality.

Something else to consider: 135 attributes are tested, and each one does not seem to be specifically and explicitly defined. I can almost guarantee that there are some subjective measures in the survey.

Plus, honestly how many cars have problems in the first 90 days? This isn't a relevant and realistic survey. AT least having a quality survey that looks at 2 year old cars would be much more realistic and relative than this.

Speaking of which, I rarely hear about JD Power long term surveys, so what gives? Too many secrets and the truth too humiliating to some manufacturers? Is there some shady business involved in keeping hush hush on the long term survey?

EDIT: the IQS seems to be more about marketing, than actual car quality.

Sort of like how the Sonata claimed top spot from Camry as the most reliable US market sedan in Initial Quality.

But let's be realistic here. Why make a survey based on initial quality? What kind of useful results does initial quality give you? I don't see any reason in doing initial quality surveys, other than just a broad general check on new car quality, and mainly for marketing.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 05-19-05 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-19-05, 09:25 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
. . . Speaking of which, I rarely hear about JD Power long term surveys, so what gives? Too many secrets and the truth too humiliating to some manufacturers? Is there some shady business involved in keeping hush hush on the long term survey?
JD POWER does have a Vehicle Dependibility Study (VDS) for 3 year old vehicles : LINK HERE

Here's their 2004 VDS results for 2001 models.
Old 05-19-05, 10:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AmethySC
JD POWER does have a Vehicle Dependibility Study (VDS) for 3 year old vehicles : LINK HERE

Here's their 2004 VDS results for 2001 models.
Heh, I see. Well, looking at that list, things definitely start to make sense. That list more accurately reflects real life.

I would assume then that a list for 2002 models would come out quite soon. That will be interesting to see, how things change on that list.
Old 05-20-05, 08:26 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up 350Z Ranked TOP Premium Sports Car For 2005!

Z takes JD power's top honors in the premium sports car segment for 2005.

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article....&src=LP%20used

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 05-20-05 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-20-05, 08:33 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

And BIG props to Lexus of course! The SC430 has ranked best of ALL cars reported by consumers withthe fewest problems.
Old 05-20-05, 10:55 AM
KneeShoe00
Lexus Test Driver

seriously dude, I am really getting upset for no getting my car, YOU needa stop posting because I mean my car needs a tardy slip....yes...you are that late....

- Nizhu
Old 05-20-05, 04:21 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

i think the key word in that survey is "initial". meaning "how many problems did the car have inthe first 90 days". i know the suspension flaws in that car were not noticeable til after a few thousand miles. thats just one example of problems on the Z. i like seeing the long term reliabilty indexes more.
also, i see that the porsche 911 was ranked third behind the Z. haha. ive already had electrical gremlins pop up. maybe i just have bad luck
Old 05-21-05, 09:46 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
i think the key word in that survey is "initial". meaning "how many problems did the car have inthe first 90 days". i know the suspension flaws in that car were not noticeable til after a few thousand miles. thats just one example of problems on the Z. i like seeing the long term reliabilty indexes more.
also, i see that the porsche 911 was ranked third behind the Z. haha. ive already had electrical gremlins pop up. maybe i just have bad luck

Keep in mind... The suspension probs were on the 1st generation and early production models, like mine (vin # in the low 1,000!) 2005 models are not prone to this issue at all.
And aside from that on my 2003, which was promptly fixed by Nissan, my car continues to be solid and considerably quicker, and gets mad looks & props since the day I got it.
Old 05-21-05, 02:05 PM
LexFather

Old 05-21-05, 02:35 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Looks reasonable except that I don't think the TL deserves a mere two-star rating for its body & interior quality. It is at least on par if not better than that of the 3 and the G35.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 05-21-05 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-21-05, 07:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Looks reasonable except that I don't think the TL deserves a mere two-star rating for its body & interior quality. It at least on par if not better than that of the 3 and the G35.
I cannot agree, people for years have complained about the car's quality.

Totally unrelated, here is 2004's list to compare too.

Old 05-22-05, 12:25 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

peolpe bashing jdpower? they ask more than 62000 buyers their opinions...

also, that is the initial quality, not the 90 day one

i think that is their prediction of what to expect....

if you notice, their 90 day poll is different than the initial quality one...

intial might be predicted, or within first 30 days, which of course changes a poll greatly

lexus always comes out on top, except for that article i read where it said kia was rated number 1 by consumer reports...
Old 05-22-05, 01:20 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EGainer
peolpe bashing jdpower? they ask more than 62000 buyers their opinions...

also, that is the initial quality, not the 90 day one

i think that is their prediction of what to expect....

if you notice, their 90 day poll is different than the initial quality one...

intial might be predicted, or within first 30 days, which of course changes a poll greatly

lexus always comes out on top, except for that article i read where it said kia was rated number 1 by consumer reports...
http://www.jdpa.com/studies/summary....ID=860&CatID=1
Old 05-22-05, 01:22 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

then why is their initial quality graph different that both of those articles.... by alot
Old 05-22-05, 07:08 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Plus, honestly how many cars have problems in the first 90 days? This isn't a relevant and realistic survey. AT least having a quality survey that looks at 2 year old cars would be much more realistic and relative than this.
My departed SC430 had many problems in the first 90 days. That's why I dumped it; plus they never were repaired by my incompetent Lexus dealer.

Quick Reply: Lexus tops quality survey again! 2005 JD Power Toyota GM dominate!