Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus tops quality survey again! 2005 JD Power Toyota GM dominate!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-05, 12:14 PM
LexFather

Default Lexus tops quality survey again! 2005 JD Power Toyota GM dominate!

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050518/vehic...lity.html?.v=1

DETROIT (AP) -- General Motors Corp. and Toyota Motor Co., the world's two largest automakers, had the top vehicles in 15 of 18 categories in a closely watched survey of 2005 models released Wednesday by research firm J.D. Power and Associates.

Toyota's Lexus SC430 was the highest-ranking vehicle for the second year in a row. Owners of the luxury sedan reported 54 problems per 100 vehicles, less than half the industry average of 118 problems per 100 vehicles. Suzuki Motor Corp. had the highest rate of problems per vehicle at 151 per 100 vehicles.

Overall, Toyota had the top vehicles for initial quality in 10 categories, including the Toyota Prius compact car, Toyota Sienna minivan and Lexus sedans in all three luxury car categories. GM had five winners, including the Buick LeSabre full-size car, Chevrolet Suburban full-size sport utility vehicle and GMC Sierra heavy-duty full-size pickup.

The survey, in its 19th year, is an important one for automakers, which often use the results in their marketing campaigns. J.D. Power and Associates questioned more than 62,000 people within 90 days of buying or leasing a 2005 vehicle. The survey measures 135 attributes, including handling, braking, engine trouble and vehicle design.

Automakers showed little improvement in overall quality in 2005, moving up just one notch from 119 problems per 100 vehicles in 2004.

GM's Hummer brand showed the most improvement from the 2004 survey, J.D. Power said. Hummer was last among vehicle brands in 2004 with 173 problems per 100 vehicles. This year, it had 110 problems per 100 vehicles.

Nissan Motor Co. had the most improved vehicle model with the Nissan Quest minivan. The Kia Spectra, Hummer H2 and Toyota Scion xA also showed marked improvement.

J.D. Power and Associates: http://www.jdpa.com

Old 05-18-05, 12:16 PM
LexFather

Its amazing a car as complex as a hardtop convetible can be number ONE and by such a GIANT margin.

Old 05-18-05, 12:22 PM
LexFather

http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/18/Auto...tudy/index.htm

Lexus tops quality survey again
In J.D. Power survey, Toyota's new cars have fewest problems. GM comes in second.
May 18, 2005: 2:19 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - For the second year in a row, the Lexus SC 430 ranked as the most reliable new car on the market, according to a study released Wednesday.

Lexus is Toyota's luxury brand.

J.D. Power's annual Initial Quality Study said owners of an SC 430 reported 54 problems per 100 vehicles in the first 90 days of ownership. (The average number of reported defects across the industry is 118 problems per 100 cars.)

Other Toyota models scored high marks as well, coming in first in another 9 out of 18 model segments. The Prius (compact car), the Scion tC (Sporty Car) and Toyota RAV4 (Entry SUV) all placed first in their segment.

General Motors also made a strong showing, placing five models at the top of their section including the Chevrolet Malibu/Malibu Maxx (Entry Midsize Car), Buick Century (Premium Midsize Car) and Chevrolet Suburban (Full-Size SUV).

Ford captured the top spot in two segments, with the Ford Explorer Sport Trac for most reliable new Midsize Pickup and Ford F-150 LD for Full-Size Pickup.

Nissan made the most improvements with the Quest. The Kia Spectra, the HUMMER H2, and the Scion xA also made notable improvements, according to the study.

The industry overall made only a slight quality improvement this year, recording less than one percent fewer problems compared to 2004.

But staff at J.D. Power said the low improvement rate in 2005 should not be taken as a sign that high quality has been reached.

"Even though the 2005 results may suggest a plateau in quality, manufacturers should not become complacent," said the market research firm's Chance Parker, noting that similar plateau's had been reached twice in the past, each year followed by big gains in quality. "Car companies that take their eye off the ball risk being left behind."

The study measured 135 specific areas across nine broad categories including ride/handling/braking, engine and transmission, and a range of quality problems symptoms reported by vehicle owners.

It is based on responses from more than 62,000 purchasers and lessees of new 2005 model-year cars and trucks, who were surveyed after 90 days of ownership.

Old 05-18-05, 12:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hahaha lexus must hates me coz' i am one of those who is jacking up the number i have rattling issue with my sc430 and i put that in when i filled out the jd power survey. i do that to all my cars.

and funy coz' yesterday night (YEAH!!!) jd power called me up and asked if i can give them more details on the problem and fixes, etc... i was very surprised!!!

i hope the translate my stuff to lexus
Old 05-18-05, 12:50 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Good job Lexus. Doesnt suprise me though

Thanks for the articles mike
Old 05-18-05, 12:54 PM
ny888
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only time Lexus loses in a category is to another Lexus !

Here is the full report:

http://www.nuttyfamily.com/2005JDPowers.pdf

Guess which is the only assembly plant to receive the Platinum Award ???
Old 05-18-05, 02:08 PM
LexFather

Wow, JAG AND BMW up there with under 100 problems listed!! Benz ahead of Toyota by 1! Infiniti dropped and Acura is barely above avg (2 points). Nissan, Scion and Porsche below the avg.
LEXUS WINNERS
Entry Luxury Car
IS 300 and IS 300 Sportcross!

Mid Luxury Car
GS 300/430

Preminum Luxury car
LS 430
SC 430

Entry Luxury SUV
RX 330

Premium Luxury SUV
GX 470
LX 470

Only the ES didn't make the list. Amazing!!!!

Old 05-18-05, 02:40 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Their long-term quality survey is more relevant though . . .

& since when did SC430 became a sedan
Old 05-18-05, 06:54 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Wow!! Way to go Jaguar. I must give them a lot of props. That is a real good job. I guess Ford might be doing something great with Jaguar. All they need to do now is sell more cars.

Honda above Acura once again. Out of Control.

Hummer made a HUGE leap, and Scion jumped a bit too but not as significant as Hummer.

And as being around Volvo owners a lot, they complain like no other car owners out there, but its usually over the dumbest things too. Not surprised to see that low rating. Poor Volvo.
Old 05-18-05, 07:14 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Talk about a complete flip-flop! Hummer, BMW, MB, Audi are all above average while Subaru is near the bottom. What has happened???

Scion needs to really improve to match with the rest of the Toyota family, and I gotta give it up to the Germans for their improvements! However, like Amethy said, long term is what counts and if these high-quality German makes tend to just fall apart after 3-5 years then this survey really doesn't mean much at all. There's hope though, and I would be extremely overjoyed if the Germans and the rest of the Americans could all be up near Lexus.

James
Old 05-19-05, 02:51 AM
lawprofs
Driver School Candidate

Congratulations again to Lexus, and it is nice to see BMW and Mercedes doing well. Competition in the luxury segment is good for all. Mercedes went up several slots, now beating Toyota and Infiniti. It will be interesting to see whether the introduction of the new 3 Series will pull BMW down a bit in next year's survey.
Old 05-19-05, 03:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't put much stock in J.D. Power ratings...for many reasons, which I have outlined before and won't rehash here. In general Consumer Reports is a much better index of auto reliability and quality.
Lexus on top? Fine....that agrees with most other surveys (and Consumer Reports too). I'll agree with that.
But there are just too many OTHER questionable rankings here. Jag in second place? I don't buy that....the X and S-Class in particular have had many problems. Mercedes ahead of Toyota? Come on. Mazda, oneof the better Japanese brands for quality, next to last? Scion...a Toyota division, two-thirds of the way down? Kia, one of the most improved brands in the buisness, even lower? And Subaru, which generally builds superb cars, just one point higher? Jeep right in the middle? Honda..a gold mine in reliability...12 points down? Acura even lower? (Yes, I know about the TL transmissions but still the rest of the car is like a Swiss watch) BMW in third place with the notorious electrical problems?

Now...I know this list is only for INITIAL quality, not long-term. Still, it is difficult for me to believe a lot of it. And I am not just basing that statement on personal opinions....but against many other sources as well. Consumer Reports in particular, if you look at their rankings, comes up with a far different picture than this.
Old 05-19-05, 06:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Most of the problems of the German/European brands tend to be electronics related, maybe their occurance are more spreadout over a longer period, so a survey of the first 90 days does not reflect them, that may be one of the reasons for the discrepancies with other surveys over the longer term too . . .
Old 05-19-05, 12:27 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

So the main quality/reliability surveys out there are JD Power's IQS and VDS and Consumer Reports. IQS is after 90 days. VDS is after... 3 years? When does CR do their surveys after? They also have a short term and long term one, I think.
Old 05-19-05, 02:31 PM
lawprofs
Driver School Candidate

I don't know if I would trust Consumer Reports over JD Powers (they are both suspect to me). Consumer reports only surveys subscribers. The average CR subscriber (which I hate to admit includes me) is probably an overly **** person who thinks a Camry is an exciting ride. Is that who you would trust to judge your car? In addition, having taken these surveys, it is clear that they do little to differentiate between serious problems and annoyances.

Quick Reply: Lexus tops quality survey again! 2005 JD Power Toyota GM dominate!