Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Share your driver license test stories

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-05, 09:53 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Share your driver license test stories

12 years ago, I got my license but not at the same time as the rest of my classmates when they got theirs at 16 (I was 17). I didn't take a driving course, and my mother served as the driving instructor for me. It actually helped us save lots of money in the end

My test consisted of 3 portions: knowledge test, vision test and road test. The 1st one was pretty easy, only missed a couple questions, and I passed with no problem. The vision test however proved to me that I need to wear corrective lenses when I drive (I'm nearsighted). Finally, the road test, which took place outside of the DMV building and a nearby neighborhood, was a piece of cake. Followed all proper rules of the road, and surpassed in the parking diagnostics. Passed the 1st time

Anyone else care to share his/her story?
Old 05-19-05, 10:12 AM
The_Hitman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only story I have from getting my lisence is when I got my real lisence at 16 (I had learners permit since 14) I took the eye test and kept getting them wrong. The guy giving the test didnt care, he would just say "not (whatever I said) but..." and have me look again. I dont know why I missed the letters so many times, because I have perfect vision in both eyes, but I guess I was just off that day. Kinda scary though, if he didnt care and kept giving me try after try, who knows who else got a lisence who really couldnt see very well.
Old 05-19-05, 10:49 AM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

I took my test at 16 which was made up of knowing the hand signals, poinitng out bottons on the dash, and finally driving. Everything went smoothly and i was done in 10 minutes. At the end i had 3 mistakes, all 3 being that when i stopped at a stop sign my wheels were not straight
Old 05-19-05, 12:42 PM
KneeShoe00
Lexus Test Driver

Easiest test ever...I took it a few years ago...in my moms....ES300...fury....easiest test of my life. The only reason I missed points is because I pointed to the windshield wiper stick instead of the lights ...I missed 2. The test took about 4mins in full succession....then I went home with a license....

- Nizhu
Old 05-19-05, 12:54 PM
Fiya
Lead Lap

I failed the written part once and had to come back the next week. I failed it again but the chick behind the counter was kinda cute so I gave her "the eye" and asked if there was anything I could do? She let me take it again that same day with all my old tests to cross-reference. I passed with 100%
Old 05-19-05, 01:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

nothing really exciting. i never read the handbook before going for the written test, passed no problem, and then later went to the driving test.....

THANK GOD my teacher asked me if i still "remember" the hand signal question right before the instructor came out. i never read the hand book and didn't know the hand signals for left / right turns and stop @_@
Old 05-19-05, 01:38 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

my very frist driver license back in my country???

ummm i got it when i was 14 (official driving age is 18)and i didnt even know where DMV was located. my homecountry is cool like that
Old 05-19-05, 01:53 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default hahaha

I took it as a joke. I failed the written permit twice, and driving test once. I just went and used that time to practice with the gentleman who gave out the licences. When he asked me to overnight park...LOL I turned on my headlights and threw it in park!!! I am a great driver I promise.
Old 05-19-05, 02:28 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100% on written, vision, driving

i tell you what...it's no indicator on how you will drive...

evidenced by all my tickets....
Old 05-19-05, 03:04 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

My friend failed the written part 5 times, and on the 6th he took it with me and passed. Lucky for me just before i went to take the test, i've been studying of his unseccessful ones.
Old 05-19-05, 03:53 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

I got my license on November 1, 2004, and it was nerveracking.

I was scared, but after going through the preliminary stuff and showing him where everything was, he complemented me and said how not many people know where everything was, so that eased my nerves a little bit.

Then came the part where I was most scared of, the backing up part, but fortunately we only went 5 feet instead of 50 feet.

Then we were driving, and he was really being nice and saying how he wasn't having a good day, and I said how we all have them, and we just have to get through them. Then we began talking about psychology and how he took some classes in college about that. And then I said how I wanted to be a psychologist, and so we were talking the whole time of my driver's test.

And then at the end when I parked, he gave me my result, and I only missed 4, when I could have missed 15. I was so ecstatic. The 4 I missed was because I didn't look at 2 cross streets or soemthing. He said I was the best driver he has seen in a long time. I was sooooooo excited. It was a blast. I gave a nice evaluation of him. He was a really nice guy.
Old 05-19-05, 04:27 PM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

I got the written test on the first try, not sure how many I missed. Wasn't so lucky with the driving test. Never failed, but I had to go like 5 times before I got the chance to take it. Couple times I went with my parents and they were full for the day before I got through. Next time I went with a friend in his B4000, and they wouldn't let me take the test cause his horn wasn't loud enough. I think it was clogged with mud. Finally we went early one day in my dad's 93 MB 300D and I got to take it. Easiest test of my life. Guy never made me tell him what controlled what in the car. We just turned off the radio and went.
Old 05-19-05, 07:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I did mine long ago.....longer than most of you guys....but passed the first time even though making a significant screw-up.....not noticing a one-way sign. The cop passed me with a " fair " rating. I actually turned out to be a very safe driver, though, by teen-age standards. My parents....and School Driver's ed....really made me afraid of aggressive driving.
Old 05-19-05, 08:33 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

it's been about 10 years. I did a mini rolling stop coming out of the DMV parking lot and I sped through a residential area by like 5-10mph. Passed by 1 point.

I'm much more careful as a driver now.
Old 05-19-05, 08:38 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a ridiculously easy test. I had my learner's permit at 16 and at 16.5 I took the road test.
This is what I had to do:
Drive up to a busy intersection with stop lights. Wait my turn.
Turn right, onto that street, take the first right.
Pull over. do a 3-pt turn.
Go back to the road I started on.
... The trooper was from my home town.