Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus goes to Formula 1 in 2009 or sooner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-05, 04:47 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Lexus goes to Formula 1 in 2009 or sooner?

Just wanted to come back and give people a heads-up about this. Most of CL seems to have little interest in Toyota F1...I wonder if a Lexus-powered F1 team would receive more attention around here... Anyway, it's something to look out for/forward to, even though it may not happen. I think most would agree it would be a big step to see a Lexus racing against BMW and Benz (not to mention Ferrari) at the forefront of motorsport.

Second, and perhaps most important, Toyota’s association with Williams would be backed by a strong marketing plan. The Japanese auto giant is currently in the process of turning its once American-only brand, Lexus, into a global brand.

Lexus’ worldwide expansion includes its introduction into the domestic Japanese market (where its cars were previously sold as Toyotas), and partnering it with a proven squad such as Williams would provide it with a strong marketing platform. In addition, a Williams-Lexus could help the premium marque to get past the conservative image it holds in several major markets, the U.S. included.

BMW’s current contract with Williams expires in 2009.
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/17020/
Old 05-20-05, 05:29 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm all for Lexus moving ahead in this area...with their racing start using the first gen IS, and now the 2nd gen IS, plus the LF-A....it can only get better.
Old 05-20-05, 05:45 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO, i'm all for Lexus going into F1. I was actually wishing that for the last couple of years. I think it gives more performance legitimacy (is that a word?) to the brand. Plus, I'd love to rock a Lexus F1 hat :-)

Its about time that they do this. Even Infiniti (which has hardly stirred the consumer market even until the last few years) has been involved in racing since the 90's.
Old 05-21-05, 12:20 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

"WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO, i'm all for Lexus going into F1"

I cant wait

gadgetSC-t
Old 05-21-05, 10:14 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I'd love to see them in F1 especially if they do well like toyota is doing now.
Old 05-21-05, 01:34 PM
LexFather

I am trying hard to get into F-1 but i don't know much of anything.

A Lexus F-1 team would almost force me to watch

Old 05-21-05, 02:20 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's sound great,but they have to complete with the Toyota F-1 team or they will be only one team.

Lexus F-1 will be the only F-1 car with cup holder, power mirror, power seat, DVD changer, auto rain sensing wiper, and rear veiw camera.... . We're talking about taking the F-1 to another level here guys...
Old 05-22-05, 02:48 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am trying hard to get into F-1 but i don't know much of anything.

A Lexus F-1 team would almost force me to watch
What do you want to know Mike?
Old 05-22-05, 09:23 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i
That's sound great,but they have to complete with the Toyota F-1 team or they will be only one team.
I highly doubt Toyota will compete under both Toyota and Lexus. We know Toyota has much money, but to run 2 F1 teams is probably a lot more than they want to spend. I believe last years budget was already ober $400 million, plus they have over 100 employees total on their F1 team. If they ran both teams we could see them employing over 200 people and speding over a billion dollars. They also have to put up a 2 million bond for each team. I would say if we see Lexus enter F1, Toyota will desolve as a team and maybe just be an engine provider with Lexus being the full factor team.

Problem is, I have my doubts Toyota will compete under the Lexus name in F1. I haven't read the article mentioned above, but it doesn't sound like a good marketing plan for Toyota to do so. Right now, Toyota is competing with one of its largest Japanese compitors which is Honda. They are doing well this year and that makes for good braging rights. Since Honda doesn't compete in motorsports under Acura, if Lexus ever beats Honda it will not be the same bragging rights.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 05-22-05 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-22-05, 12:29 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Since Honda doesn't compete in motorsports under Acura, if Lexus ever beats Honda it will not be the same bragging rights.
You do realize BMW and Mercedes Benz compete in F1, right? Lexus would obviously be competing against them, not Honda. And of course Toyota would not front a full factory team for Lexus, they would just rebadge their engine and sell it to customer teams.

Probable scenario: Sauber BMW vs. McLaren Mercedes vs. Willams Lexus
Old 05-22-05, 01:03 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
You do realize BMW and Mercedes Benz compete in F1, right? Lexus would obviously be competing against them, not Honda. And of course Toyota would not front a full factory team for Lexus, they would just rebadge their engine and sell it to customer teams.

Williams Lexus, that just sounds like crap.
Old 05-22-05, 06:27 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT

I am well aware of that. That is why I said Toyota's main Japanese competitor is Honda. In the case of Lexus it would be Acura but they don't race under that name and Nissan/Intiniti are not in it thus far. BMW and Mercedes are everyones main European competition. I also did mentioned exactly what you did. If Toyota races under Lexus, Toyota would probably stop being a full factory team and be an engine supplier. While Toyota's F1 headqurters are in Genrmany, their home race is still considered Japan just like Honda. To win the race in Japan is bigger for the companies pride than the other circuits.