Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2JZ-GTE vs RB26DETT

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-05, 06:20 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bean

Everyone knows you are a hater; seems all of your posts have been negative

Stock redlines mean nothing in racing; thought you knew that... there's plenty of high revving 2jzs out there...
and you didnt even bother to include the 1jz in the little paragraph of yours
Supras and SC300s werent built with dragracing in mind at all; if they were, they wouldnt have independant rear suspensions that have an anti-squat geometry...

Do battle with domestics? Dude I think you've been watching to much fast and furious and too much Initial D... especially since you're comparing the 2jz with the LS1... two completely different motors with no association with one another. How old are you? All of your posts reek of someone in the 17-18 year old range... "battling" is a ricer mentality

Horsepower is what matters in trackcars, the 2jz makes more of it, end of discussion
i'm feeling you're the hater here. you always seem to be the first to jump on things and say 1jz and 2jz are godly.

how do rev's not matter in racing? unless we're strictly talking about drag racing, but none the less it's still a factor of the race.

and how many high revving 2jz's are out there? please do let me know. most people i know stroke or build their motors raising displacement raising hp, but losing revolutions.

please don't get offended and start calling people names.
Old 05-23-05, 06:56 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by reamemiya
neither. plenty of more capable engine's and stronger engine's out there.

if your quesiton is supra or skyline. skyline hands down.
and what engine comes close? a hemi? a v12 out of a vanquish? is there another 6cyl engine than can easily make 1000+hp/tq? is there a v8 that can accomplish such numbers with the same efficiency? im not trying to be a smart *** im just wondering what else is out there that is so much better, since i bought my car i havent payed attention to any others
Old 05-23-05, 06:59 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by southernsc
and what engine comes close? a hemi? a v12 out of a vanquish? is there another 6cyl engine than can easily make 1000+hp/tq? is there a v8 that can accomplish such numbers with the same efficiency? im not trying to be a smart *** im just wondering what else is out there that is so much better, since i bought my car i havent payed attention to any others
oooooooo we're talking about 6 cylinders

if not inline 6 i'd say vq.
Old 05-23-05, 07:12 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xravexboix
Emissions for street use. They use motorsports (racing) to develope new technologies for production models x_x

Obviously there isn't emissions in racing lol
the question was about the use of the 3sgte in jgtc, instead of the 2jzgte

it was for the fact that the 3sgte was a smaller engine that could be pushed further behind the front axle to give a better weight distributioon

when power is limited to 500hp, using an enigne capable of 1000hp isnt a priority
Old 05-23-05, 07:16 PM
xioix
Racer

i'm feeling you're the hater here. you always seem to be the first to jump on things and say 1jz and 2jz are godly.

how do rev's not matter in racing? unless we're strictly talking about drag racing, but none the less it's still a factor of the race.

and how many high revving 2jz's are out there? please do let me know. most people i know stroke or build their motors raising displacement raising hp, but losing revolutions.

please don't get offended and start calling people names.
the high revving you speak of, what do you consider the racing rev area?
Old 05-23-05, 07:19 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

oooooooo we're talking about 6 cylinders

if not inline 6 i'd say vq.
lol. i guess if $$$ is not in the equation then yah theres better engines, but certainly not bang for the buck imo.
Old 05-23-05, 07:26 PM
xioix
Racer

lol. i guess if $$$ is not in the equation then yah theres better engines, but certainly not bang for the buck imo.
bang for the buck, those two are not even the better choices

the LS1, 1UZ, are both cheaper than the 2jz and RB26
Old 05-23-05, 07:45 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

I remember takin to the owner of Apex, who owns a Skyline GTR, at the Super Autobacs store. I learned that alotta these Supras and Skylines that pushes 600+ horsepower arent really ideal for street use. Since the turbos are so big and the displacement of these engines being small, they struggle at low rpms. He said that even his car have a hard time keepin up to a mini van in city traffic in spite of it being 10-11 second car.
Old 05-23-05, 07:52 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by xknowonex
I remember takin to the owner of Apex, who owns a Skyline GTR, at the Super Autobacs store. I learned that alotta these Supras and Skylines that pushes 600+ horsepower arent really ideal for street use. Since the turbos are so big and the displacement of these engines being small, they struggle at low rpms. He said that even his car have a hard time keepin up to a mini van in city traffic in spite of it being 10-11 second car.
turbo lag, the enemy of turbo
Old 05-24-05, 12:54 AM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xknowonex
there's where dropping the clutch at 8k comes into the equation on a GTR that is!

hahah seriously though...it's most likely the huge old technology turbo it's running. i'm guessing it had something like a t78 or t88 turbo, but you got to give up something to make that power huh?
Old 05-24-05, 05:13 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Celicamaro
RB26 and 3-sgte are high revving motor designed for racing from the start. 2JZ is an overbuilt torque machine, not as much fun to rev. It's built to do battle with domestic V8s from the start. Serious track or street racers want a great revving motor, and drag racers want a torque machine. This is why just about all Supras and SC300 are built with drag racing in mind. Now that doesn't mean 2jz can't rev or is crude like a domestic pushrod V8. It's still way smoother with 800rwhp than a stock LS1 with only 350hp and also redlines higher than just about any stock pushrod in history or most stock engine for that matter. But when comparing it to rb26/3sgte or other high revvers, then it's suddenly less hyper.
And LS2 has redlines at same rpm as my 2jz motor, the LS7 revs 500 rpm higher then my stock 2jz motor.

A supra was not built with the intention of being a drag racer at all. In fact until a few years ago it made a poor drag racer compared to the power output. In fact it was one of the best handling sport cars of the 90s, with handling capabilities that would match most of todays sport cars!
Old 05-24-05, 05:25 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

As far as I know there is no mass produced engine that came installed (this means barring race built crate engines) in a car that could come close to withstand close to 1000 rwhp on stock internals and as far as I know still holds the record of making the most whp on stock internals for mass production engine that is not a crate engine being above 980 rwhp (read over 1150 crank hp.). The only few engines that could come close to matching the 2jz in stoutness but to the best of my knowledge yet to beat the 2jz record would be the 4.6 supercharged dohc from Ford used in the 2003-2004 ford mustang cobras and upcoming SVT adrenaline, and the 5.4L supercharged dohc used on the Ford GT and upcoming GT500 shelby. I suspect the 6.0 liter Twin turbo V12 from amg might also be a strong contender, but Ive yet to see that motor make more then 800 hp on stock internals. Both a hemi and a V12 out of a vanquish would make excellent grenades at that power level!

As for 6 cylinder engines that come close the 3.6L TT out of the 911 twin turbo have been tuned to 750 hp. But I doubt that was on stock internals and even if it was thats still a whopping 400+ gap there!
Old 05-24-05, 06:33 AM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

I almost forgot... let's not discount the 2AZ-FE 2.4L (Camry/Solara/tC)

I'm sure you've all seen the 400+ whp tC on stock internals (only upgraded injectors/fuel pump)

Although it'd handle like crap and that much power is useless, it may make a pretty decent drag car once stripped down
Old 05-24-05, 10:51 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

But it's an F head motor. No fun.
Old 05-24-05, 03:39 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xravexboix
I almost forgot... let's not discount the 2AZ-FE 2.4L (Camry/Solara/tC)

I'm sure you've all seen the 400+ whp tC on stock internals (only upgraded injectors/fuel pump)

Although it'd handle like crap and that much power is useless, it may make a pretty decent drag car once stripped down
Ka24e motors can handle at least 300 whp on stock internals... yet everyone chooses to throw em out.

Quick Reply: 2JZ-GTE vs RB26DETT