Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2JZ-GTE vs RB26DETT

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-05, 05:47 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2JZ-GTE vs RB26DETT

In ur guys opinion, whats a superior motor? What are the pros and cons to each motor? It seems like both motor are in the same league because theyre both capable of reachin 4 digit hp numbers. But why is it that the RB26DETT was used to race in the GT500 while the 3s-GTE was used instead of the 2JZ??
Old 05-21-05, 06:47 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They're both legendary motors. They both are stupidly expensive to get, and I think the 2JZ is a better motor just because it has stronger internals stock, the RB26DETT LOVES boost, but I heard of 2JZs taking 800-1000hp on the stock bottom end.
Old 05-21-05, 08:05 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
In ur guys opinion, whats a superior motor? What are the pros and cons to each motor? It seems like both motor are in the same league because theyre both capable of reachin 4 digit hp numbers. But why is it that the RB26DETT was used to race in the GT500 while the 3s-GTE was used instead of the 2JZ??
because it is a lighter motor, when HP is limited and you can get it in a lighter strong form, thats all that matters in a race car
Old 05-21-05, 08:41 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

2jz... but im partial to the "T"!!!
Old 05-21-05, 09:57 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

They are both legendary smooth highly tunable powerful turbocharged in-line sixes. I believe they were both cast iron blocks with aluminum heads. They were both built or should I say overbuilt to withstand heavy abuse and heavy tuning for high horsepower. From all the magazines and information I have read about the 2 engines it seems that the Supra 2JZ is a stronger more reliable and more tunable motor. Comparing the 2 cars the Supra generally is a more reliable car too. Some may say since the Skyline has 4WD, 4WS, and has a smaller displacement that it is more advanced and needs to work a little harder so it would be more likely to encounter more problems. Both cars were designed to take on the best from Europe and Japan like Porsche 911 and 944 turbos, v-8 Ferraris, Corvettes, 300zx, NSX, RX-7, etc

The last Skyline claimed horsepower rating was around 287 because of a gentlemans horsepower agreement in Japan but it was really putting out 320-330hp. The last Supra turbo when it was in its design stage was rumured to be putting out well over 400hp and had to be detuned to around 320. The R34 Skyline was a little slower then the R33 with it getting 0-60 in 5.2 seconds in most cases compared to R33 sub 5 second runs. The Supra turbo would do 0-60 in 4.6 to 5 seconds flat which was much faster then the previous heavier less powerful Supra. Both cars handled very well for their size and weight. Although I like the idea of 4WD, 4WSteering, and a computer screen that showed boost, torque through drivetrain, TV tuner etc I would still prefer a Supra Turbo and its 2JZ because it is very easy to tune and liberate untapped horsepower and it is a little stronger plus I like the interior and exterior of the Supra more. Many people have caledl the turbo Supra motor a 600 horsepower engine detuned to 320. It is unfortunate that their replacements will most likely be aluminum v-6s which will not be as strong nor as tunable as the inline motors were. Hopefully the new Supra will get a rumured race bred 4 liter v-8 as the Skyline appears to be getting a turbo v-6 instead of a v-8.
Old 05-22-05, 02:04 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
because it is a lighter motor, when HP is limited and you can get it in a lighter strong form, thats all that matters in a race car
no thats not true... running the smaller motor allowed the team to run a lower weight limit on the car because of class rules of motor size

Originally Posted by UDel
They are both legendary smooth highly tunable powerful turbocharged in-line sixes. I believe they were both cast iron blocks with aluminum heads. They were both built or should I say overbuilt to withstand heavy abuse and heavy tuning for high horsepower. From all the magazines and information I have read about the 2 engines it seems that the Supra 2JZ is a stronger more reliable and more tunable motor. Comparing the 2 cars the Supra generally is a more reliable car too. Some may say since the Skyline has 4WD, 4WS, and has a smaller displacement that it is more advanced and needs to work a little harder so it would be more likely to encounter more problems. Both cars were designed to take on the best from Europe and Japan like Porsche 911 and 944 turbos, v-8 Ferraris, Corvettes, 300zx, NSX, RX-7, etc

The last Skyline claimed horsepower rating was around 287 because of a gentlemans horsepower agreement in Japan but it was really putting out 320-330hp. The last Supra turbo when it was in its design stage was rumured to be putting out well over 400hp and had to be detuned to around 320. The R34 Skyline was a little slower then the R33 with it getting 0-60 in 5.2 seconds in most cases compared to R33 sub 5 second runs. The Supra turbo would do 0-60 in 4.6 to 5 seconds flat which was much faster then the previous heavier less powerful Supra. Both cars handled very well for their size and weight. Although I like the idea of 4WD, 4WSteering, and a computer screen that showed boost, torque through drivetrain, TV tuner etc I would still prefer a Supra Turbo and its 2JZ because it is very easy to tune and liberate untapped horsepower and it is a little stronger plus I like the interior and exterior of the Supra more. Many people have caledl the turbo Supra motor a 600 horsepower engine detuned to 320. It is unfortunate that their replacements will most likely be aluminum v-6s which will not be as strong nor as tunable as the inline motors were. Hopefully the new Supra will get a rumured race bred 4 liter v-8 as the Skyline appears to be getting a turbo v-6 instead of a v-8.

RB26 is a nice motor; but its not capable of producing the horsepower or torque numbers as the 2jz does; its not just displacement either... i sure do like the way it sounds tho

i think you underestimate the new V6s Toyota is putting out... what do you mean by tunable? i'm sure a resleeved toyota v6 would handle quite a bit of power down the road when the R&D is done...

MKV info is nothing but heresay.... if it does come out; you can bet it will have the new 300hp+ V6 that the IS350 gets (if not a little bit more power)
Old 05-22-05, 07:13 AM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xknowonex
They've been running the 3UZ-FE N/A bored out for the past 2 years or so... testing their N/A tuning capabilities! but the size this year is slightly smaller than the previous. it's down to about 4.5 now (4480 cc).

The 3S-GTE has almost as much tuning potential as the 2JZ... I think they ran the 3S-GTE because of emissions... they were trying to tune the 3S-GTE for a 4th gen (most likely)... the 2JZ was being retired... it's an awesome engine w/ horrid emissions... plus I heard there's a tax on engine displacement in Japan... hence the powerful 4-cyl we see today

I'm sure the 3UZ has been running to find the best final displacement for the next generation Lexus car V8. I think the engine was at 5.2L last year (JGTC GT500)... perhaps that's another plan altogether, but now the 4.5L (SuperGT) seems to be the next Lexus tuned engine

Engine tuning through motorsports
Old 05-22-05, 07:52 AM
Onelove
Lead Lap

The 2J is a far superior motor stock. In modified form both can be great engines, our drag car makes over 1650hp with the 2JZ, I don't know of many skylines or RB powered vehicles capable of that at the current time....that being said there are Toyota motors that when built our more capable than either of these motors mainly as a result of larger displacement, of course the cost to do so is MUCH more.
Old 05-22-05, 11:13 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Onelove
The 2J is a far superior motor stock. In modified form both can be great engines, our drag car makes over 1650hp with the 2JZ, I don't know of many skylines or RB powered vehicles capable of that at the current time....that being said there are Toyota motors that when built our more capable than either of these motors mainly as a result of larger displacement, of course the cost to do so is MUCH more.

I agree, I dont see how the 3s-gte can even be compared inthe same room as the 2jz? It was used because of class restrictions and bonus weight reductions...

Marko via SP made 1520whp through a TH400 auto tranny on a stock displacement 2jz

the powerband ona 2jz will be much broader than a 3s-gte making the same amount of power... and yes I know track cars can get away with narrow powerbands because of their gearing, but the 2jz is going to make more peak power apples to apples so that argument is just out the window...
Old 05-23-05, 01:44 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by xravexboix
They've been running the 3UZ-FE N/A bored out for the past 2 years or so... testing their N/A tuning capabilities! but the size this year is slightly smaller than the previous. it's down to about 4.5 now (4480 cc).

The 3S-GTE has almost as much tuning potential as the 2JZ... I think they ran the 3S-GTE because of emissions... they were trying to tune the 3S-GTE for a 4th gen (most likely)... the 2JZ was being retired... it's an awesome engine w/ horrid emissions... plus I heard there's a tax on engine displacement in Japan... hence the powerful 4-cyl we see today

I'm sure the 3UZ has been running to find the best final displacement for the next generation Lexus car V8. I think the engine was at 5.2L last year (JGTC GT500)... perhaps that's another plan altogether, but now the 4.5L (SuperGT) seems to be the next Lexus tuned engine

Engine tuning through motorsports
theres no emissions in race cars

the other reason for the 3sgte was that the engine was smaller can can be pushed further back to give the car a better balance
Old 05-23-05, 10:35 AM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

RB26 and 3-sgte are high revving motor designed for racing from the start. 2JZ is an overbuilt torque machine, not as much fun to rev. It's built to do battle with domestic V8s from the start. Serious track or street racers want a great revving motor, and drag racers want a torque machine. This is why just about all Supras and SC300 are built with drag racing in mind. Now that doesn't mean 2jz can't rev or is crude like a domestic pushrod V8. It's still way smoother with 800rwhp than a stock LS1 with only 350hp and also redlines higher than just about any stock pushrod in history or most stock engine for that matter. But when comparing it to rb26/3sgte or other high revvers, then it's suddenly less hyper.
Old 05-23-05, 12:01 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Celicamaro
RB26 and 3-sgte are high revving motor designed for racing from the start. 2JZ is an overbuilt torque machine, not as much fun to rev. It's built to do battle with domestic V8s from the start. Serious track or street racers want a great revving motor, and drag racers want a torque machine. This is why just about all Supras and SC300 are built with drag racing in mind. Now that doesn't mean 2jz can't rev or is crude like a domestic pushrod V8. It's still way smoother with 800rwhp than a stock LS1 with only 350hp and also redlines higher than just about any stock pushrod in history or most stock engine for that matter. But when comparing it to rb26/3sgte or other high revvers, then it's suddenly less hyper.

Everyone knows you are a hater; seems all of your posts have been negative

Stock redlines mean nothing in racing; thought you knew that... there's plenty of high revving 2jzs out there...
and you didnt even bother to include the 1jz in the little paragraph of yours
Supras and SC300s werent built with dragracing in mind at all; if they were, they wouldnt have independant rear suspensions that have an anti-squat geometry...

Do battle with domestics? Dude I think you've been watching to much fast and furious and too much Initial D... especially since you're comparing the 2jz with the LS1... two completely different motors with no association with one another. How old are you? All of your posts reek of someone in the 17-18 year old range... "battling" is a ricer mentality

Horsepower is what matters in trackcars, the 2jz makes more of it, end of discussion
Old 05-23-05, 02:47 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xioix
theres no emissions in race cars

the other reason for the 3sgte was that the engine was smaller can can be pushed further back to give the car a better balance
Emissions for street use. They use motorsports (racing) to develope new technologies for production models x_x

Obviously there isn't emissions in racing lol
Old 05-23-05, 02:53 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by Bean

Everyone knows you are a hater; seems all of your posts have been negative

Stock redlines mean nothing in racing; thought you knew that... there's plenty of high revving 2jzs out there...
and you didnt even bother to include the 1jz in the little paragraph of yours
Supras and SC300s werent built with dragracing in mind at all; if they were, they wouldnt have independant rear suspensions that have an anti-squat geometry...

Do battle with domestics? Dude I think you've been watching to much fast and furious and too much Initial D... especially since you're comparing the 2jz with the LS1... two completely different motors with no association with one another. How old are you? All of your posts reek of someone in the 17-18 year old range... "battling" is a ricer mentality

Horsepower is what matters in trackcars, the 2jz makes more of it, end of discussion
Whew I turn 19 this Thursday. Won't be in that category for long. Heh.
Old 05-23-05, 06:14 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

neither. plenty of more capable engine's and stronger engine's out there.

if your quesiton is supra or skyline. skyline hands down.

Quick Reply: 2JZ-GTE vs RB26DETT