Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 VW Beetle freshening

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-05, 02:16 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2006 VW Beetle freshening

...........it's about time is all I can say,the car doesn't look to much like a pansy mobile anymore.The front turn signals lost their oval style. The squared off elements (like the fenders and bumpers) don't really match the look, or personality of the car anymore..
The interior is the same, except for chrome rings around the instruments and the vents.
But the standard engine is now the 2.5 Liter from the new Jetta. And the wheels look much better.

Old 05-24-05, 02:17 PM
LexFather

I don't understand why this little itty bitty car costs so much. If it was 10-12k, they would sell TONS of them. At 20k, no damn thanks.

Old 05-24-05, 02:20 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

here's a pic of a 2000 model for comparison purposes:
Old 05-24-05, 02:27 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least it's not getting the new VW/Audi grille (yet).
Old 05-24-05, 04:10 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
At least it's not getting the new VW/Audi grille (yet).
I'm sure it will look like that forever....:sigh:
Old 05-24-05, 04:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by robloc93
...........it's about time is all I can say,the car doesn't look to much like a pansy mobile anymore.]
Here we go again......more stereotyping. Each, of course, is entitled to one's own opinion, but I just don't buy this idea of VW Beetles and Cabrios being "***", "Chick" and "Pansy" cars. Just because the factory puts a plastic flower-stem holder next to the steering column doesn't mean one has to USE it. The are plenty of not-so-feminine males who buy and drive these cars, if for no other reason than just to have a little 60's nostalgia. And if you really want to get down to brass tacks, the Beetle comes in a rather macho Turbo version, if ( for ONCE) I may use a little stereotyping myself.
Old 05-24-05, 04:30 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Here we go again......more stereotyping. Each, of course, is entitled to one's own opinion, but I just don't buy this idea of VW Beetles and Cabrios being "***", "Chick" and "Pansy" cars. Just because the factory puts a plastic flower-stem holder next to the steering column doesn't mean one has to USE it. The are plenty of not-so-feminine males who buy and drive these cars, if for no other reason than just to have a little 60's nostalgia. And if you really want to get down to brass tacks, the Beetle comes in a rather macho Turbo version, if ( for ONCE) I may use a little stereotyping myself.
I remember a girl I met had a yellow beetle (non-turbo). She said the top speed was 180Mph. Hmm little problem there, don't ya think? Although the Turbo is faster, it still couldn't hit 125!
Old 05-24-05, 05:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
I remember a girl I met had a yellow beetle (non-turbo). She said the top speed was 180Mph. Hmm little problem there, don't ya think? Although the Turbo is faster, it still couldn't hit 125!
180 on a stock Beetle? I'd believe a Clinton campaign promise before that one.

Even going down a hill with a tailwind, the Beetle' s high CD drag coefficient would prevent it.
Old 05-24-05, 05:28 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Although I'll never drive one myself, I like the beetle both pre- & post-facelift, cute little car . . .
Old 05-24-05, 07:03 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Here's my idea of macho: I owned a 68 bug many years ago and drove it in a couple of Chicago winter's going to college. When the temp hit 20, it was mandatory to carry an ice scraper for the "Inside" of the front window. When the temp hit 15 below, had to hold the clutch in for 5 minutes while warming up the car. The transmission fluid was 90 wt oil ...at startup in 15 below, letting out the clutch in neutral would cause the car to go forward. I think the new bug has come a long way but the last thing I want to remember is driving a 60's car in winter with minimal heat and no defrost..
As for the new beetle's flower stem holder...could have used that back in the old car to hold my ice scraper
Old 05-24-05, 07:18 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Although I'll never drive one myself, I like the beetle both pre- & post-facelift, cute little car . . .
I wouldn't mind a TDI one.

I think the front dam and turn signals on this one look better.
Old 05-25-05, 03:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rheiy
Here's my idea of macho: I owned a 68 bug many years ago and drove it in a couple of Chicago winter's going to college. When the temp hit 20, it was mandatory to carry an ice scraper for the "Inside" of the front window. When the temp hit 15 below, had to hold the clutch in for 5 minutes while warming up the car. The transmission fluid was 90 wt oil ...at startup in 15 below, letting out the clutch in neutral would cause the car to go forward. I think the new bug has come a long way but the last thing I want to remember is driving a 60's car in winter with minimal heat and no defrost..
As for the new beetle's flower stem holder...could have used that back in the old car to hold my ice scraper
Yes...the heater-defroster systems in air-cooled VW's were a joke. That is no secret. You had to drive 100 miles in the winter to get any heat....and then if the exhaust system was not 100% perfect you had exhaust fumes and carbon monoxide leaking out the cracks into the cabin air.

Of course the pot fumes in a lot of 60's vintage VW's were so thick nobody noticed anyway.
Old 05-25-05, 01:36 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Yes...the heater-defroster systems in air-cooled VW's were a joke. That is no secret. You had to drive 100 miles in the winter to get any heat....and then if the exhaust system was not 100% perfect you had exhaust fumes and carbon monoxide leaking out the cracks into the cabin air.

Of course the pot fumes in a lot of 60's vintage VW's were so thick nobody noticed anyway.
Sounds like you may have owned a 60's vintage vw as well. You're dead on with the "fumes"
Old 05-25-05, 02:59 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Nice chick ride.

I'd rather walk than to be seen in one.
The other day, I saw 2 dudes in a convertible blasting 'in da club' on campus.
Old 05-25-05, 03:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rheiy
Sounds like you may have owned a 60's vintage vw as well. You're dead on with the "fumes"
No...my brother had one...a 1966 Beetle. They were fun to drive...and generally well-built....but they had a number of quirks, some of which I have just described. They wandered all over the road in a crosswind, took forever to get rolling, and were noisy enough inside to wake up the dead. They also rarely went more than 60,000 miles without major engine work...the engine was rather highly-stressed with very short gearing. Top speed was around 70 MPH.

Quick Reply: 2006 VW Beetle freshening