Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus marketing at work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-05, 05:07 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus marketing at work?

Saw this little ad while I was browsing carsdirect.com.
Am I the only one that's like seeing this ad? I mean, now all of a sudden they're trying to market the LS as a driving machine, which it really isn't? What's wrong with being a comfy sailboat? The LS sells because most people don't really wanna drive. I can understand Lexus' desire to change their rather staid image but the LS is a wrong vehicle to market that with.
Attached Images  

Last edited by XeroK00L; 05-24-05 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-24-05, 05:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm i guess s you are missing the meaning of teh ad.... i think it's trying to say that the car is so smooth that you almost can say you are sailing, when you are actaully driving

at least that's how i would interpret it
Old 05-24-05, 05:39 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
umm i guess s you are missing the meaning of teh ad.... i think it's trying to say that the car is so smooth that you almost can say you are sailing, when you are actaully driving

Ah... I guess you're right. I must be tired after a long day.
Old 05-24-05, 05:47 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Old 05-24-05, 05:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Ah... I guess you're right. I must be tired after a long day.
I am not gonna put an owned pic up... long day

The LS is no sports car but never uncomfortable when pushed. Every review has said that. Its not the large sedan to BE in when it gets twisty but you don't feel like its dangerous.
With the Euro Suspension, it helps, a little.

I am glad Lexus marketing has always potrayed the cars for what they were, not trying to fool people into thinking its something else. The only car I can think of they tried that was the ES 300 from 92-99. Its not a sporty car. They got the clue, saw the buyers and made the 01 ES full luxury and brought the IS to be the sports sedan

Old 05-25-05, 04:46 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

The LS is no sports car but never uncomfortable when pushed. Every review has said that. Its not the large sedan to BE in when it gets twisty but you don't feel like its dangerous.

I am glad Lexus marketing has always potrayed the cars for what they were, not trying to fool people into thinking its something else. The only car I can think of they tried that was the ES 300 from 92-99. Its not a sporty car. They got the clue, saw the buyers and made the 01 ES full luxury and brought the IS to be the sports sedan

Still they could of made the car a little better handling and still have a comfortable ride. Some pick up trucks (Tacoma Xrunner for example) and suvs (FX45 example) would severely kick its *** in the twisties as it stands. Meh not a fan of poor handling cars. Mercedes got it right in this aspect, look at the E class a buttery smooth ride but still capable of holding its own (especially the amg!). I guess the LS was not at all built for driving enthusiasts, or evasive manuvers for that matter.
Old 05-25-05, 08:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Still they could of made the car a little better handling and still have a comfortable ride. Some pick up trucks (Tacoma Xrunner for example) and suvs (FX45 example) would severely kick its *** in the twisties as it stands. Meh not a fan of poor handling cars. Mercedes got it right in this aspect, look at the E class a buttery smooth ride but still capable of holding its own (especially the amg!). I guess the LS was not at all built for driving enthusiasts, or evasive manuvers for that matter.
to be honest, a car without much road feel and more than avg body roll during hard turns don't mean bad handling. you haven't seen the real capability of the ls430, gs430, and the sc430 (i will leave out is300 since that car was designed differently) stock do you? those who have gone to the lexus driving school event all agree that they couldn't believe how well those cars handle in stock form
Old 05-25-05, 09:41 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

You should, that would be funny but true! LOL

TeamOne advertising has alot of clever ads...sometimes they don't make sense to the average person though.

The latest LS handles quite well for a car of that size. Sure it's not sport tuned like a BMW, but in evasive maneuvers, the car can hold it's own...especially compared to the soft sprung, Gen 1 LS400. The LS430 was never meant to compete w/a Toyota X-Runner or an FX45 per se...the analogy is quite ridiculous in my opinion.
Old 05-25-05, 10:10 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Inabj2
I don't care what some skidpad numbers say, I don't feel safe at all tacking roads in cars on stilts aka sporty SUVs. It is pretty amazing engineering wise how things so big and heavy can be made to handle good, for what it is. But I'd prefer a CAR or an ESTATE (wagon) over any SUV if I plan to actually drive aggresively. There is no SUV that can handle the feeling of a car. Funny I was just re-reading my EVO car of the year 2003 and the Cayenne was last. They were amazed how well it drove/fast/handled for a SUV but, its the wrong damn application (and God forgive me, I like the damn Cayenne for some reason)

When I do drive a SUV, I like to cruise and be pampered in luxury. I have no intentions of trying to drive it like its some sort of Ferrari.

Clearly, the Cayenne, X5 and FX are SUVs that have more sport than utility. Since there is a better chance Cristal raindrops falling from the sky than one of these things taken off road, give me THIS anyday of the week. before those.....

Old 05-25-05, 10:25 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't care what some skidpad numbers say, I don't feel safe at all tacking roads in cars on stilts aka sporty SUVs. It is pretty amazing engineering wise how things so big and heavy can be made to handle good, for what it is. But I'd prefer a CAR or an ESTATE (wagon) over any SUV if I plan to actually drive aggresively. There is no SUV that can handle the feeling of a car. Funny I was just re-reading my EVO car of the year 2003 and the Cayenne was last. They were amazed how well it drove/fast/handled for a SUV but, its the wrong damn application (and God forgive me, I like the damn Cayenne for some reason)

When I do drive a SUV, I like to cruise and be pampered in luxury. I have no intentions of trying to drive it like its some sort of Ferrari.

Clearly, the Cayenne, X5 and FX are SUVs that have more sport than utility. Since there is a better chance Cristal raindrops falling from the sky than one of these things taken off road, give me THIS anyday of the week. before those.....
OMG...I couldnt agree with ya anymore. . I truely love the RS6 and Avant. LOL, I was just wipping one around the track. In GT4 that is.
Old 05-25-05, 10:27 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

The wagon market is a hot segment in Japan currently.
Old 05-25-05, 11:23 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

I don't care what some skidpad numbers say, I don't feel safe at all tacking roads in cars on stilts aka sporty SUVs.
A sports sports utility vehicle. I guess it wasn't sporty enough to start with.
Old 05-25-05, 12:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

now mike, i have to get a hatch back that's definitely the car i want
Old 05-25-05, 03:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I mean, now all of a sudden they're trying to market the LS as a driving machine, which it really isn't? What's wrong with being a comfy sailboat? The LS sells because most people don't really wanna drive. I can understand Lexus' desire to change their rather staid image but the LS is a wrong vehicle to market that with.

NOTHING is wrong with a comfy sailboat. If you want a sports sedan buy one. Leave soft-riders to the folks who appreciate them.
Old 05-25-05, 05:06 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to be honest, a car without much road feel and more than avg body roll during hard turns don't mean bad handling. you haven't seen the real capability of the ls430, gs430, and the sc430 (i will leave out is300 since that car was designed differently) stock do you? those who have gone to the lexus driving school event all agree that they couldn't believe how well those cars handle in stock form

Any car will handle amazing to the eyes of an average driver, when a professional was behind the wheel, **** I remember when the driver at the evolution school drove my 240sx with blown struts ya it seemed like it handled amazing too.... despite the massive body roll. He just had a higher limit then me as a driver, car still handled like crap at that time.

My problem with soft riders it seems like its a car designed for people that hate driving... well maybe they shouldnt be driving if they hate driving!

Last edited by Inabj2; 05-25-05 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus marketing at work?