Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota vs. Nissan

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-05, 02:22 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by G35_TX
It may look superior, but if you actually dig deeper into the interiors you will see how cheaply they are put together. Reason why they have a ton of rattle issues and interior plastics denting,scatching,etc. I almost bought a TL for the 2nd time after my G35, still couldn't get over the interior that much. It felt nice, but seeing how cheap it was with the seats, to the roof, I couldn't do it. I even looked at a TSX and personally its cramped, and didn't feel like a luxury car.

It's all good though. It's been a good discussion (heated somewhat).
I don't know where you get your information but it is the G35 with the cheaper materials and having all the issues with rattles and defective parts. I have been in both cars and the G35 did have rattles and squeeks with noticibly cheaper materials where the TL did not have rattles and superior fit and finish with higher quality materials. The G35 has the plastics that scratch easily especially the fake painted aluminum in the pre 05 models. Even 05 models have interior issues. Go to Freshalloy and other Infiniti sites they generally love their G35s but there are a bunch of complaints of rattles, poor fit issues, cheap materials, mechanical issues etc. There were actually more failing transmissions with G35s then there were from TLs from warranty claims. I love the G35 coupe and be willing to forgive its cheaper materials but I am not going to kid myself and believe it is a better car then the TL just because it is rwd. Look at all the magazine reviews and you will see how they generally like the G35 but complain about cheap materials and fit and finish. You do not see complaints about the new TSX, TL or older ones about cheap interiors and poor fit and finish. I have sat and driven the new M, GS, and RL. The M interior was much better then previous Infinitis but not quite up to the new GS or RL although it did have more room and the M45 was much faster and sportier.
Old 05-28-05, 06:08 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I don't know where you get your information but it is the G35 with the cheaper materials and having all the issues with rattles and defective parts. I have been in both cars and the G35 did have rattles and squeeks with noticibly cheaper materials where the TL did not have rattles and superior fit and finish with higher quality materials. The G35 has the plastics that scratch easily especially the fake painted aluminum in the pre 05 models. Even 05 models have interior issues. Go to Freshalloy and other Infiniti sites they generally love their G35s but there are a bunch of complaints of rattles, poor fit issues, cheap materials, mechanical issues etc. There were actually more failing transmissions with G35s then there were from TLs from warranty claims. I love the G35 coupe and be willing to forgive its cheaper materials but I am not going to kid myself and believe it is a better car then the TL just because it is rwd. Look at all the magazine reviews and you will see how they generally like the G35 but complain about cheap materials and fit and finish. You do not see complaints about the new TSX, TL or older ones about cheap interiors and poor fit and finish. I have sat and driven the new M, GS, and RL. The M interior was much better then previous Infinitis but not quite up to the new GS or RL although it did have more room and the M45 was much faster and sportier.
I own a G35, and a friend owns a TL. My G35 is much more solid than his TL period. The G35 is PUT together much better but with cheaper plastics before 2005. Now the 2005 model has no cheap plastics. I don't get my info, I know it because I own it. I am on G35 sites and the 05 have shown 0 problems with interiors so far. Failing transmissions? The only ones that are having issues is the 6MT with the syncros which have been fixed now. It was a early build problem. There are TON of complaints on the TL and TSX about rattles, roof falling, butt prints, etc. That is why the TL is no longer consumers best pick!

Question for you, WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR INFO?
Old 05-28-05, 06:27 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Why do people refute something we couldn't begin to replicate? Your acting like Infintii did terrible in the survey. JD Power and Consumer Reports are some of the most trust worthy sources we have. It is common knowledge, by not just consumers but by automobile executives, Lexus builds the highest quality cars, period. Do they have a lemon or two, yes. Have they had a recall, yes. Are they perfect, no. But they closest to it when it comes to quality.

Its ridiculous to say Inifniti builds sport cars and Lexus does not. Its ridiculous to say you can only get luxury with Lexus and not Infinitii. You can have both with both brands. Infiniti does lean more to sport, Lexus more to luxury. But you can have both, in both.

Clearly you are not understanding what I am saying. You are stating the same thing I just stated.

As for the Altima, I don't want my FWD car to be sporty. When it comes time for that, RWD here I come. THe Alitma is now MARKETED as sporty. If you read any review, it handles like a pig compared to the Mazda 6, Accord and even Camry. It has yet to come close to winning a comparison. The torque steer is ridiculous. I've driven it, it is as sporty as an Avalon.

There is a huge difference between regular SE and the SER in terms of handling. The biggest weakness with a bone stock SE is the crappy tires it comes equipped stock, second biggest the soft spring rates. And Ive driven both a regular SE and a mazda 6 driven ***** out of both of them. Mazda 6 is slightly more agile, (theres no huge difference really.) But the altima clearly makes up for it with the more power, in most road courses i bet money altima being the faster car. I dunno about you, but I didnt have a problem dealing with the torque steer the car has, i found it to be rather controlable. It is definitively a car that you take slow turning in fast turning out, and have to be smoother in transition movements, but the fault lies mostly on the stock all season tires. And you can make a sporty car with any drive train, its all in the tuning.

But MARKETING has done a spectacular job as people truly believe the car is sporty. And the designers did make it look sporty. And Nissan could not be more thrilled, selling 250k a year.
It all depends which altima you get.
Old 05-28-05, 08:37 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

hmm...no counter-comment? Thats surprising
Old 05-28-05, 08:57 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Inabj2
It all depends which altima you get.
Isn't the Altima much bigger than the Mazda 6?
Old 05-28-05, 09:52 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Don't forget Toyota has had major issues with sludge in most of there engines. So Toyota does have problems.
Most? The sludge issue was isolated to a certain year 1MZ-FE model and 5S-FE model. That's not most of their engines. Toyota has 4x the number of engines in their line up as a whole compared to Nissan. Don't generalize what you read on the internet...because you keep trying to post the same BS you hear and can't back them up with real actual numbers.
Old 05-28-05, 09:54 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You may notice here when we make statements like that, we try to post the proof. Sorry mahn but you are way off. The M is selling 1,000 units less a month.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161248

Exactly? You would think the first time was enough...but an attempt at a second time? Someone didn't just get owned...they got their **** handed to them on a platter.
Old 05-28-05, 09:59 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Oh really? Your actually wrong.

The M45 continues its strong launch with 2,288 units sold

http://www.infinitinews.com/corporat...03111958.shtml

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...03/057818.html For LExus

Shows the GS430 sales of 540 a month. Hmmmm seems the new M equally equiped is killing the GS in sales right now. This doesn't include the V6 model of the GS because its not equally equiped. The M35 isn't out yet from Nissan, so it can't compare.
I hope you know we're getting our numbers straight from Toyota and Nissan's press releases each month. Not from 3rd party channels you just linked to us. So I call BS on your links. Our numbers are straight from Nissan North America and Toyota Motor Sales USA's pages.

M35 isn't out yet from Nissan? You sure about that? They sell more M35 Sport package here in SoCal than M45's. I smell Nissan Fanboy.

Hell here's one on ebay w/2000+ miles...a M35 AWD...and look where it's being sold from...you got it SoCal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...552493559&rd=1
Old 05-28-05, 10:02 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

That part, but if you look down the list it shows only M45. The M35 just started to hit the dealers so they probably didn't have the sales info up for them yet.

And don't threaten me about losing my credibility.
Here in SoCal, they've been selling the M35's and M45's the same day they were released in February. I know this because there is an Infiniti dealer not even 3 blocks from where I work. It's called Costa Mesa Infniti. You already lost your credilbity. You can't back them up with credible facts or direct sources...just 3rd party information you just found on the internet. Do you have excuses for everything you claim?
Old 05-28-05, 10:12 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Im sorry but when it asks if your car has to much brake dust and other equally silly questions(could this be a factor to why lexus braking is... below of infiniti's?), it does descredit the integrity of the survey. I dont need a survey or the masses to tell which one is the car for me.
No survey or even car review should. You should buy the car that best suits your needs. I bought the IS because it suits my needs. I don't need any survey or car mag to tell me what to buy.

And better at what? Its such an ambigous answer that doesnt tell me much. "Lexus is better at infinity." It some points yes, in others infinity is better. If you want a sporty luxury car for example Infinity is the sportier of the 2. But its ridicoulous to assume that lexus is the absolute better car. People get a car because they all have different prefferences. Im sure you got a GS because you wanted a comfortable car.
Better meaning over all experience in ownership and experience w/the dealership in the sale, services and over all benefit and value. That's what Lexus is better at...and that's what Infiniti is trying to improve...how to better the value of an Infiniti owner's total experience. Most people don't care for a better performing car...then again some don't care for a luxuriously appointed car. That's what makes this market great, the consumers have choices. Lexus > Infiniti in many ways. You may or may not agree, but the proof is in the sales numbers and independent studies out there that clearly show it.

[/quote]
Id never get a second gen or first gen altima over the third gen, matter preference ok interior went down slightly but hey newer altima has 110 hp more, a sport tuned suspension and all around a superior performing family sedan, I like cars that perform, for that is my preference. (SER vs previous 2 gens.)[/QUOTE]

Okay great you like cars that perform. But what's so fun about a powerful FWD sedan? That's no fun. It's not like you were going to jump and buy an Altima in the first place. For the price of an Altima SE-R, i'd rather spend the couple thousand for a G35 instead. Again that's my preference not yours. So I can agree with what you have to say to a certain extent.

Last edited by flipside909; 05-28-05 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-28-05, 10:27 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I own a G35, and a friend owns a TL. My G35 is much more solid than his TL period. The G35 is PUT together much better but with cheaper plastics before 2005. Now the 2005 model has no cheap plastics. I don't get my info, I know it because I own it. I am on G35 sites and the 05 have shown 0 problems with interiors so far.
Okay i'm not trying to bash you but please clarify. Your signature says:

"2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan, 6MT BLACK/BLACK (Pickup around June 15th, 2005) (Mine) "

This means you have ordered the car and it's arriving on June 15, 2005 or you already have it? I sure hope Infiniti improves the quirks they had. So being on G35 sites mean you're the definitive in Infiniti ownership meaning there are no others in the whole world that have any problems w/their 2005. I hate to break it to you, but people who post on internet message boards don't even account for 25% of the owners of ANY car manufacturer. They hardly even represent even 10% of the total owners of any particular platform. Not everyone posts on the same message boards...you have people that are also on Complaint Station, Edmunds Town Hall and even the good ol' internet newsgroups online.

Failing transmissions? The only ones that are having issues is the 6MT with the syncros which have been fixed now. It was a early build problem. There are TON of complaints on the TL and TSX about rattles, roof falling, butt prints, etc. That is why the TL is no longer consumers best pick!
Just as a reminder, we're comparing Toyotas and Nissans here. But, w/ANY manufacturer, there will be problems. No manufacturer is 100% trouble or issue free. Whether it be Toyota, Nissan, Honda or even Maybach.

Toyota Motor Sales, USA
Nissan North America
and other corporate direct sources.

We here on CL post facts and back them up with credible information. Not links to some 3rd party internet website or other message board. I had to answer this since this is an open forum and to also let you know we don't make comebacks w salesman dealership rumors that most people will be sucked into believing.
Old 05-28-05, 10:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Like I said before, I was going by the part of where it showed M45 in the listing of all the cars. And assumed it was only the M45. Because freshalloy annouced the M35 wasn't a immediately release. The M45 was first.

Oh well.
Hate to break it to you but Fresh Alloy is a very excellent enthusiast site. Like ClubLexus, they are not affiliated directly w/the corporation they report on and represent. No they are not Nissan North America or affiliated with as it says on their own website. Just so you think i'm not just making this up i'll link it just for you:

http://www.freshalloy.com/site/corp/home.shtml

FreshAlloy.com is not affiliated with Nissan

Last edited by flipside909; 05-28-05 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-29-05, 12:31 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I own a G35, and a friend owns a TL. My G35 is much more solid than his TL period. The G35 is PUT together much better but with cheaper plastics before 2005. Now the 2005 model has no cheap plastics. I don't get my info, I know it because I own it. I am on G35 sites and the 05 have shown 0 problems with interiors so far. Failing transmissions? The only ones that are having issues is the 6MT with the syncros which have been fixed now. It was a early build problem. There are TON of complaints on the TL and TSX about rattles, roof falling, butt prints, etc. That is why the TL is no longer consumers best pick!

If you go on Freshalloy there are a few recent posts on 05 G35s with interior issues and noise issues. Many of these complaints were not taken care of by Infiniti and some given silly answers like it is normal or you are just being too sensitive. Some of the posters are saying how they are so disappointed with customer service and how this will be their last Infiniti. That is another problem with many Infiniti dealers is their treatment of customers who want test drives or who have issues with their cars. Even car mags have cited disappointing experiences with Infiniti dealerships as one of the problems that needs to be fixed. I am not saying this is all Infiniti dealerships and I have heard great things about Grubbs dealership but I know quite a few people who have been displeased when visiting Infiniti dealerships. Lexus and Acura dealerships are generally known for very high customer satisfaction and repeat buyers. Infiniti can and hopefully will make changes for better customer satisfaction and improved quality and materials as they are coming out with some good products like the G35 coupe, M, FX, improved Q45, GTR, possible M coupe/convertable.
Old 05-29-05, 01:51 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Lexus and Acura dealerships are generally known for very high customer satisfaction and repeat buyers. Infiniti can and hopefully will make changes for better customer satisfaction and improved quality and materials as they are coming out with some good products like the G35 coupe, M, FX, improved Q45, GTR, possible M coupe/convertable.
This is where your making a generalization. Not all Acura and lexus dealers treat customers the same. I used to have an acura, and wow their service sucked. The infiniti dealerships that i go to for service treat customers very well. I compare infiniti service to what i have experienced at the lexus dealership where my mom got her car. There are always dealerships that arent "nice" from any car make. No point in taking peoples word for it unless you experience it first hand.

If you go on Freshalloy there are a few recent posts on 05 G35s with interior issues and noise issues.
No car is free from problems, not even lexus, bmw, etc

Last edited by Xenthar; 05-29-05 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-29-05, 01:57 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
They sell more M35 Sport package here in SoCal than M45's. I smell Nissan Fanboy.
Actually, most M's that i've seen on the road around here are all m45's. Ive seen maybe 1 black m35 but thats it for that. I havent seen an m35x yet. I was driving to santa monica yesterday and saw 3 m45s on the freeway. Maybe most people in costa mesa buy m35's?

Quick Reply: Toyota vs. Nissan