Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota vs. Nissan

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-05, 07:29 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Most? The sludge issue was isolated to a certain year 1MZ-FE model and 5S-FE model. That's not most of their engines. Toyota has 4x the number of engines in their line up as a whole compared to Nissan. Don't generalize what you read on the internet...because you keep trying to post the same BS you hear and can't back them up with real actual numbers.
To what bobtheoilguy forums shows it is most of their engines.
Old 05-29-05, 07:31 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Mine was straight from Nissan/Infiniti. The Lexus was was from a third channel. So how can you call bs on that? lol. Yes I am a NIssan fan boy as well as a Lexus and Honda. I have owned many of the vehicles. I am just not overly biased like some of you guys are.

I hope you know we're getting our numbers straight from Toyota and Nissan's press releases each month. Not from 3rd party channels you just linked to us. So I call BS on your links. Our numbers are straight from Nissan North America and Toyota Motor Sales USA's pages.

M35 isn't out yet from Nissan? You sure about that? They sell more M35 Sport package here in SoCal than M45's. I smell Nissan Fanboy.

Hell here's one on ebay w/2000+ miles...a M35 AWD...and look where it's being sold from...you got it SoCal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...552493559&rd=1
Old 05-29-05, 07:33 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Here in SoCal, they've been selling the M35's and M45's the same day they were released in February. I know this because there is an Infiniti dealer not even 3 blocks from where I work. It's called Costa Mesa Infniti. You already lost your credilbity. You can't back them up with credible facts or direct sources...just 3rd party information you just found on the internet. Do you have excuses for everything you claim?
Like I said, I heard from Freshalloy.com the M35 wasn't going to be sold right away. The M45 would be. And that was backed up by only showing the M45 on the listing of the sales sheet. You need to be more mature then act like a spoiled kid on the internet. Because your posts are starting to act like it.

Lost credibility. Like I care. It's the Internet. And only half my info was 3rd part (the Lexus side). Obviously your blind and can't tell that.

And obviously you can tell I am pissed off at you right now.
Old 05-29-05, 07:37 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Okay i'm not trying to bash you but please clarify. Your signature says:

"2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan, 6MT BLACK/BLACK (Pickup around June 15th, 2005) (Mine) "

This means you have ordered the car and it's arriving on June 15, 2005 or you already have it? I sure hope Infiniti improves the quirks they had. So being on G35 sites mean you're the definitive in Infiniti ownership meaning there are no others in the whole world that have any problems w/their 2005. I hate to break it to you, but people who post on internet message boards don't even account for 25% of the owners of ANY car manufacturer. They hardly even represent even 10% of the total owners of any particular platform. Not everyone posts on the same message boards...you have people that are also on Complaint Station, Edmunds Town Hall and even the good ol' internet newsgroups online.

Just as a reminder, we're comparing Toyotas and Nissans here. But, w/ANY manufacturer, there will be problems. No manufacturer is 100% trouble or issue free. Whether it be Toyota, Nissan, Honda or even Maybach.

Toyota Motor Sales, USA
Nissan North America
and other corporate direct sources.

We here on CL post facts and back them up with credible information. Not links to some 3rd party internet website or other message board. I had to answer this since this is an open forum and to also let you know we don't make comebacks w salesman dealership rumors that most people will be sucked into believing.

Here you go again saying mine was a 3rd party when mine wasn't except for Lexus which I have said 3 times now. lol. I do not have my 2005 yet, but I have a loaner 2005 for the time being. Your right, people don't but 90% of the time you will see more complaints on the message boards than on the street about the cars. It's a given, and there hasn't been any "yet".
Old 05-29-05, 08:06 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UDel
If you go on Freshalloy there are a few recent posts on 05 G35s with interior issues and noise issues. Many of these complaints were not taken care of by Infiniti and some given silly answers like it is normal or you are just being too sensitive. Some of the posters are saying how they are so disappointed with customer service and how this will be their last Infiniti. That is another problem with many Infiniti dealers is their treatment of customers who want test drives or who have issues with their cars. Even car mags have cited disappointing experiences with Infiniti dealerships as one of the problems that needs to be fixed. I am not saying this is all Infiniti dealerships and I have heard great things about Grubbs dealership but I know quite a few people who have been displeased when visiting Infiniti dealerships. Lexus and Acura dealerships are generally known for very high customer satisfaction and repeat buyers. Infiniti can and hopefully will make changes for better customer satisfaction and improved quality and materials as they are coming out with some good products like the G35 coupe, M, FX, improved Q45, GTR, possible M coupe/convertable.
Funny part is I have also read the same thing on toyota and Lexus boards as well. Don't believe everything you read. And truthfully I am done with this childish discussion where it has lead too now.
Old 05-29-05, 08:53 AM
LexFather

Thread will remain open for now. Lively conversation is what Clublexus Car Chat encourages.

My 2 cents, no car is perfect but Lexus and Toyota using the "Kazien" method prides itself on improvement.

Old 05-29-05, 10:29 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Xenthar
Actually, most M's that i've seen on the road around here are all m45's. Ive seen maybe 1 black m35 but thats it for that. I havent seen an m35x yet. I was driving to santa monica yesterday and saw 3 m45s on the freeway. Maybe most people in costa mesa buy m35's?
No because I live in Riverside and travel the 91, 55, 22 freeways daily. I see a mix of cars everyday...I even take the 57 to the 60 home sometimes. Are you sure all the M's you see around are M45s? I was fooled at first when I thought I saw mostly M45's just based on the Sport Package and the 19" wheels. Lately i've been looking at the trunk badge to make sure it's not a M45...instead it being an M35 Sport Package. Costa Mesa Infiniti gets a good mix of M35 and M45. More M35s than M45's which is to be expected. There is a Nissan North America regional office down the street from me where I see plenty of M35's and that one M45 i've seen on the road. I do think the M45's exhaust tone is unique and awesome. Just like the M35, G35, FX35 and the Z's.
Old 05-29-05, 10:35 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by G35_TX
To what bobtheoilguy forums shows it is most of their engines.
Again, internet searching. That's the only info you can come up with?

If you want to see a listing of Toyota engines, you can find them here on Toysport's webpage here:
http://toysport.com/webpages/Techinf...ginefamily.htm

This is organized by engine series and generation. Again unlike Nissan, Toyota has a variation of engines/configurations and applications. This list doesn't even include the newest GR series and the hybrid powertrains. Are you telling me most of Toyota's engines have sludge? Again you have no clue.
Old 05-29-05, 10:36 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Mine was straight from Nissan/Infiniti. The Lexus was was from a third channel. So how can you call bs on that? lol. Yes I am a NIssan fan boy as well as a Lexus and Honda. I have owned many of the vehicles. I am just not overly biased like some of you guys are.
Oh really? And the websites you quoted to us previously are just internet enthusiast and 3rd party sites which have the disclaimer "NOT AFFILIATED TO NISSAN NORTH AMERICA". So it is BS because you linked us non Corporate Nissan websites.
Old 05-29-05, 11:19 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Like I said, I heard from Freshalloy.com the M35 wasn't going to be sold right away. The M45 would be. And that was backed up by only showing the M45 on the listing of the sales sheet. You need to be more mature then act like a spoiled kid on the internet. Because your posts are starting to act like it.
We're discussing comparisons here. It's clear the original guy that posted here hasn't really participated until you guys jumped in. Hey you're the only one here trying to preach Nissan/Infiniti here. I don't go on FreshAlloy or G35driver and preach Lexus to them. Why not? Because it's pointless and childish. I don't have to "ACT" in posts to make a point.

FYI, you don't know who I am or what I do. I'm a 25 year old who bought my own brand new 2004 IS300 after I graduated from the University of California. Having a nice stable job w/awesome benefits definitely helps. I financed this vehicle on my own w/a nice down payment through Lexus Financial Services and qualified w/aTeir 1 (700 club) credit score rating. Spoiled? Hardly. I worked hard to get where I am. Most people can't say the same. I spoiled myself, no one else.

I don't really have to bash other manufacturer's interiors to prove a point. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Cheap shots are juvenile. Here's an example of one and totally off topic on top of that...now who's acting mature here?:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=13

You state: "Well when I look at this picture of the new IS350 interior, it makes me barff.....
Look at the cheap design of a center console and cheap hard plastic. lol"

Here's another:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...63#post1005563

Lost credibility. Like I care. It's the Internet. And only half my info was 3rd part (the Lexus side). Obviously your blind and can't tell that.

And obviously you can tell I am pissed off at you right now.
Again, hearing and actually knowing are two different things. Nissan's sales figures are shown here and we've shown you over and over again but you fail to agree with it. Here it is one more time from Nissan's corporate PR site www.nissannews.com:

Code:
INFINITI DIVISION SALES
----------------------------------------------------------------------
                  April   April   Monthly     CYTD     CYTD   CYTD DSR
                                    DSR
                 -----------------------------------------------------
                   2005    2004  % Change     2005     2004  % Change
Infiniti Division
 Total           11,639   9,979      12.3%  43,722   41,307       5.8%
I35                  72     940     -92.6%     942    4,128     -77.2%
G35 Sedan         3,275   2,896       8.9%  15,279   13,964       9.4%
G35 Coupe         2,556   2,532      -2.8%   8,637    9,551      -9.6%
M35/M45           2,288     168    1211.5%   4,856      736     559.8%
Q45                  81     152     -48.7%     484      712     -32.0%
QX56              1,184   1,194      -4.5%   4,915    2,370     107.4%
FX35/FX45         2,184   2,097       0.3%   8,610    9,837     -12.5%
Total Car         8,271   6,688      19.1%  30,197   29,091       3.8%
Total Truck       3,368   3,291      -1.5%  13,525   12,216      10.7%
All numbers include Hawaii. Percent changes based on DSR.
How shady is that? Nissan can't even seperate the M35/45 and FX35/45's numbers. Do they have something to hide? Obviously they do. Are they ashamed to show that the M45's sales are not what everyone expected?

Of course you care. You keep replying with baseless facts. And don't have an answer to why Nissan/Infiniti continues to fail to seperate M35/45 and FX35/45 sales. Do you want more proof based off the links you gave us? No need for name calling.

And obviously you can tell I am pissed off at you right now
Sorry you feel that way. All of us here that have replied to you with facts and laughing everytime you reply with answers that are truely false...even after we've posted our answers with credible sources you find more stuff to throw into that ever growing pile.

Last edited by flipside909; 05-29-05 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-29-05, 11:23 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Here you go again saying mine was a 3rd party when mine wasn't except for Lexus which I have said 3 times now. lol. I do not have my 2005 yet, but I have a loaner 2005 for the time being. Your right, people don't but 90% of the time you will see more complaints on the message boards than on the street about the cars. It's a given, and there hasn't been any "yet".
Okay...well I sure hope you do experience the same trouble free service on the 05 G35 you have on order just like the loaner car that you don't even own. It sure would be a shame to find out your 05 G35 is a lemon just like your 04.

Throwing in the towel...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...71#post1059971

Last edited by flipside909; 05-29-05 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-29-05, 01:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

[QUOTE=flipside909. You should buy the car that best suits your needs. .

.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. This is what I tell people time and time again. Some people......like you and me........are capable of determining for themselves what those vehicle needs are and how best to meet them. For those who can't, there are those of us here at CL who are knowledgeable and other good sources like Consumer Reports, Consumer Guide, Edmunds, etc........

I agree with your earlier statement that auto mags or surveys alone should not determine a purchase but there are some good magazines out there.....I particularly like Car and Driver and AutoWeek myself. and of course there is the excellent reliability database of Consumer Reports. These publications give out a lot of good useful information. I test-drive a lot of new cars myself, but it is nice to compare my opinions with theirs....and the fact that they test under harsher conditions than I do. I especially note Consumer Reports' database and the Four Seasons' durability tests of the auto mags for reliability.
Old 05-29-05, 01:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Exactly. This is what I tell people time and time again. Some people......like you and me........are capable of determining for themselves what those vehicle needs are and how best to meet them. For those who can't, there are those of us here at CL who are knowledgeable and other good sources like Consumer Reports, Consumer Guide, Edmunds, etc........

I agree with your earlier statement that auto mags or surveys alone should not determine a purchase but there are some good magazines out there.....I particularly like Car and Driver and AutoWeek myself. and of course there is the excellent reliability database of Consumer Reports. These publications give out a lot of good useful information. I test-drive a lot of new cars myself, but it is nice to compare my opinions with theirs....and the fact that they test under harsher conditions than I do. I especially note Consumer Reports' database and the Four Seasons' durability tests of the auto mags for reliability.
U must really agree. I don't think I've seen u use the smiley before

Just messing with ya mahn

Old 05-29-05, 01:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Don't forget Toyota has had major issues with sludge in most of there engines. So Toyota does have problems.
Please, G35...try to understand. Several other CL members here have tried to explain it to you...now I will.

Toyota / Lexus has had significant gelling and sludge build-up in only ONE of its engines...the 3.0L V6 used from the late 1990's up to about 2002 or so in several of its vehicle lines. Among vehicles sold in the U.S. this generally included the Camry, Avalon, Highlander, ES300, and the RX300. That engine has since been replaced by the redesigned 3.3L V6.

Now....the 3.0 was indeed prone to oil-related problems but ONLY if the recommended 3-to-5 month interval of oil changes was not adhered to. Some of the people who owned these vehicles, for whatever reason, were lax in keeping the oil changed or did not use approved oil and filters, ( I am a fan of Castrol GTX myself ) and UNLIKE other Toyota engines, this engine was NOT forgiving of that for several technical reasons including narrow oil passages that made the oil run hot.

I'm not going to re-hash all of the details of this campaign, the issues involved, and how Toyota handles them on a case-by-case basis. I myself, Flipside909, and 1SICKLEX, among others, have posted and written on this issue at length in CL....entire threads and lengthly discussions have been devoted to it. You can search the CL archives and get almost anything in detail.

So.....regardless of what "Bob the oil guy " or any other source wants to say about it, those are the facts...it was an ISOLATED problem with ONE engine and confined to a FEW years of production.....and then ONLY with poor maintenence.......NO MORE. It is NOT a Toyota-wide problem. Just stop and think for a minute. If it was a Toyota-wide problem, you would see millions of Corollas, Toyota trucks, Tercels, Land Cruisers, 4-Runners, etc......sludging up. You DON'T. The average Toyota and Honda engine, with proper maintenance and valve inspections, goes 200,000 miles without major problems....and even the 3.0L V6 is generally reliable IF you keep the oil changed at the 3 month/3000 mile or 5 month/5000 mile intervals you should be using anyway depending on driving conditions.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-29-05 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-29-05, 02:06 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 95 ES300 with the 3.0 V6 with 88k, I bought it w/37k and I've always used castrol and never had sludge problems.

Quick Reply: Toyota vs. Nissan