Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota vs. Nissan

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-05, 02:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
I have a 95 ES300 with the 3.0 V6 with 88k, I bought it w/37k and I've always used castrol and never had sludge problems.
Good job. Keep using a good oil like that and change it at 3-5K intervals and you probably won't.
Old 05-29-05, 02:38 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good job. Keep using a good oil like that and change it at 3-5K intervals and you probably won't.
My experience.

95 Avalon XLS w/105k miles before I sold it. 1MZ-FE V6 No sludge problems using Castrol GTX 10w30 w/Toyota oil filter. 3-4k intervals. No sludge no problems ever.

99 Solara SE V6 Manual w/97k miles. 1MZ-FE V6 (that is actually within that service campaign for sludge) using Castrol GTX 10w30 and Toyota oil filter. 3-4k intervals. No sludge problems ever!

on that note...we're "Moving Forward".
Old 05-29-05, 03:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by chuckb
I have a 95 ES300 with the 3.0 V6 with 88k, I bought it w/37k and I've always used castrol and never had sludge problems.
I have a 92 ES 300 manual with 214k, bought with 48k, I also use castrol and change the oil myself every 5k miles. No sludge issues.

The RX i bought my mother, no sludge issues.

The problem was for knuckleheads who didn't change the oil

Old 05-29-05, 03:56 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Again, internet searching. That's the only info you can come up with?

If you want to see a listing of Toyota engines, you can find them here on Toysport's webpage here:
http://toysport.com/webpages/Techinf...ginefamily.htm

This is organized by engine series and generation. Again unlike Nissan, Toyota has a variation of engines/configurations and applications. This list doesn't even include the newest GR series and the hybrid powertrains. Are you telling me most of Toyota's engines have sludge? Again you have no clue.
Old 05-29-05, 03:57 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Oh really? And the websites you quoted to us previously are just internet enthusiast and 3rd party sites which have the disclaimer "NOT AFFILIATED TO NISSAN NORTH AMERICA". So it is BS because you linked us non Corporate Nissan websites.
Infinitinews.com is Infiniti. Nissannews.com is Nissan same company, same site. Not a 3rd party. Sad sad sad.....
Old 05-29-05, 04:02 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Oh wait a minute, now you say Nissannews.com is there corporate website which is the one I listed and you said it wasn't!! Man you have no clue what your even saying anymore.

Baseless facts? When I have posted links to everything. But then you try to say they aren't good links when they are from the Corporates website. All you have done in any of your posts is just trash talk Infiniti. In your links to my post (at least the first one) was someone else trash talking the interior. But then Lexus new IS has a crappy interior too and I was just pointing that out. It wasn't a cheap shot like most of you guys do here towards another manufacture. Lexus isn't everything and neither is Infiniti. So get over it.

We're discussing comparisons here. It's clear the original guy that posted here hasn't really participated until you guys jumped in. Hey you're the only one here trying to preach Nissan/Infiniti here. I don't go on FreshAlloy or G35driver and preach Lexus to them. Why not? Because it's pointless and childish. I don't have to "ACT" in posts to make a point.

FYI, you don't know who I am or what I do. I'm a 25 year old who bought my own brand new 2004 IS300 after I graduated from the University of California. Having a nice stable job w/awesome benefits definitely helps. I financed this vehicle on my own w/a nice down payment through Lexus Financial Services and qualified w/aTeir 1 (700 club) credit score rating. Spoiled? Hardly. I worked hard to get where I am. Most people can't say the same. I spoiled myself, no one else.

I don't really have to bash other manufacturer's interiors to prove a point. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Cheap shots are juvenile. Here's an example of one and totally off topic on top of that...now who's acting mature here?:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=13

You state: "Well when I look at this picture of the new IS350 interior, it makes me barff.....
Look at the cheap design of a center console and cheap hard plastic. lol"

Here's another:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...63#post1005563

Again, hearing and actually knowing are two different things. Nissan's sales figures are shown here and we've shown you over and over again but you fail to agree with it. Here it is one more time from Nissan's corporate PR site www.nissannews.com:

Code:
INFINITI DIVISION SALES
----------------------------------------------------------------------
                  April   April   Monthly     CYTD     CYTD   CYTD DSR
                                    DSR
                 -----------------------------------------------------
                   2005    2004  % Change     2005     2004  % Change
Infiniti Division
 Total           11,639   9,979      12.3%  43,722   41,307       5.8%
I35                  72     940     -92.6%     942    4,128     -77.2%
G35 Sedan         3,275   2,896       8.9%  15,279   13,964       9.4%
G35 Coupe         2,556   2,532      -2.8%   8,637    9,551      -9.6%
M35/M45           2,288     168    1211.5%   4,856      736     559.8%
Q45                  81     152     -48.7%     484      712     -32.0%
QX56              1,184   1,194      -4.5%   4,915    2,370     107.4%
FX35/FX45         2,184   2,097       0.3%   8,610    9,837     -12.5%
Total Car         8,271   6,688      19.1%  30,197   29,091       3.8%
Total Truck       3,368   3,291      -1.5%  13,525   12,216      10.7%
All numbers include Hawaii. Percent changes based on DSR.
How shady is that? Nissan can't even seperate the M35/45 and FX35/45's numbers. Do they have something to hide? Obviously they do. Are they ashamed to show that the M45's sales are not what everyone expected?

Of course you care. You keep replying with baseless facts. And don't have an answer to why Nissan/Infiniti continues to fail to seperate M35/45 and FX35/45 sales. Do you want more proof based off the links you gave us? No need for name calling.

Sorry you feel that way. All of us here that have replied to you with facts and laughing everytime you reply with answers that are truely false...even after we've posted our answers with credible sources you find more stuff to throw into that ever growing pile.
Old 05-29-05, 04:04 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Okay...well I sure hope you do experience the same trouble free service on the 05 G35 you have on order just like the loaner car that you don't even own. It sure would be a shame to find out your 05 G35 is a lemon just like your 04.

Throwing in the towel...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...71#post1059971

My g35 wasn't a lemon. I was having issues with service down here and that is what pised me off. I never had one problem with that car till the tranny syncros had issues. I got rid of it and bought a Titan which I freakin regret (now that was a POS), and got another G35.
Old 05-29-05, 04:06 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Thank you for your sensible reply unlike the other guy. Learn from this guy, his replies don't cause a conflict!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Please, G35...try to understand. Several other CL members here have tried to explain it to you...now I will.

Toyota / Lexus has had significant gelling and sludge build-up in only ONE of its engines...the 3.0L V6 used from the late 1990's up to about 2002 or so in several of its vehicle lines. Among vehicles sold in the U.S. this generally included the Camry, Avalon, Highlander, ES300, and the RX300. That engine has since been replaced by the redesigned 3.3L V6.

Now....the 3.0 was indeed prone to oil-related problems but ONLY if the recommended 3-to-5 month interval of oil changes was not adhered to. Some of the people who owned these vehicles, for whatever reason, were lax in keeping the oil changed or did not use approved oil and filters, ( I am a fan of Castrol GTX myself ) and UNLIKE other Toyota engines, this engine was NOT forgiving of that for several technical reasons including narrow oil passages that made the oil run hot.

I'm not going to re-hash all of the details of this campaign, the issues involved, and how Toyota handles them on a case-by-case basis. I myself, Flipside909, and 1SICKLEX, among others, have posted and written on this issue at length in CL....entire threads and lengthly discussions have been devoted to it. You can search the CL archives and get almost anything in detail.

So.....regardless of what "Bob the oil guy " or any other source wants to say about it, those are the facts...it was an ISOLATED problem with ONE engine and confined to a FEW years of production.....and then ONLY with poor maintenence.......NO MORE. It is NOT a Toyota-wide problem. Just stop and think for a minute. If it was a Toyota-wide problem, you would see millions of Corollas, Toyota trucks, Tercels, Land Cruisers, 4-Runners, etc......sludging up. You DON'T. The average Toyota and Honda engine, with proper maintenance and valve inspections, goes 200,000 miles without major problems....and even the 3.0L V6 is generally reliable IF you keep the oil changed at the 3 month/3000 mile or 5 month/5000 mile intervals you should be using anyway depending on driving conditions.
Old 05-29-05, 05:06 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by G35_TX
Oh wait a minute, now you say Nissannews.com is there corporate website which is the one I listed and you said it wasn't!! Man you have no clue what your even saying anymore.

Baseless facts? When I have posted links to everything. But then you try to say they aren't good links when they are from the Corporates website. All you have done in any of your posts is just trash talk Infiniti. In your links to my post (at least the first one) was someone else trash talking the interior. But then Lexus new IS has a crappy interior too and I was just pointing that out. It wasn't a cheap shot like most of you guys do here towards another manufacture. Lexus isn't everything and neither is Infiniti. So get over it.
Weren't you the same person that said:

I had a Titan for a short time, gas hog big time. But it was a full size real truck. The Tundra was just too small when I drove them. At least Nissan hit the ball on the head with the Titan. They are selling almost 10k a month now.
Do you need to be schooled again? This is a discussion between Toyota>Nissan & Lexus & Infinti. We already know Nissan/Infiniti interiors are not up to part. Many people have echoed this...as well as many very established publications. Just live with it and move on.
Old 05-29-05, 05:09 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

My g35 wasn't a lemon. I was having issues with service down here and that is what pised me off. I never had one problem with that car till the tranny syncros had issues. I got rid of it and bought a Titan which I freakin regret (now that was a POS), and got another G35.
Okay so it's not a lemon. So who's to blame? Infiniti/Nissan or your dealership? I would have to say both. The dealership couldn't rectify the situation, two, your satisfaction w/the product left a sour taste in your mouth. You bought a 2nd newer Nissan product and you regret that's a POS. Wouldn't you have learned a 3rd time by now? Since your 05 G35 is on order, I hope it's the one for you. More power to you. Like I said, hope it doesn't become a POS like your last two Nissan products that you had.
Old 05-29-05, 05:10 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Weren't you the same person that said:

Do you need to be schooled again? This is a discussion between Toyota>Nissan & Lexus & Infinti. We already know Nissan/Infiniti interiors are not up to part. Many people have echoed this...as well as many very established publications. Just live with it and move on.
Dunno what brought that up? lol
Old 05-29-05, 05:13 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Dunno what brought that up? lol
Yeah we all wonder where you got your 10k BS about Titan sales. Maybe in a few years, but the last few months show it's not even close. 3K units per month behind Toyota is not close fyi. This is what i've been calling you out on because you fail to say where you sourced this info from.

Last edited by flipside909; 05-29-05 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-29-05, 05:19 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Thank you for your sensible reply unlike the other guy. Learn from this guy, his replies don't cause a conflict!
You and two others here fail to understand after we laid out the facts.. You read and listen to what you wanna hear then you wonder why theres conflict. Again you wont find us trying to preach Toyota/Lexus on Nissan/Infiniti enthusiasts sites, it's plain stupid. Perhaps you should learn from your own experience here. Common sense.
Old 05-29-05, 05:46 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Yeah we all wonder where you got your 10k BS about Titan sales. Maybe in a few years, but the last few months show it's not even close. 3K units per month behind Toyota is not close fyi. This is what i've been calling you out on because you fail to say where you sourced this info from.
10k bs? They are hitting 8-9k right now. lol You just don't stop. You act like a 16 year old. Grow up and stop already. 2nd year producing almost 10k, 8-10k is pretty damn good. You can't say it isn't.
Old 05-29-05, 05:46 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

You and two others here fail to understand after we laid out the facts.. You read and listen to what you wanna hear then you wonder why theres conflict. Again you wont find us trying to preach Toyota/Lexus on Nissan/Infiniti enthusiasts sites, it's plain stupid. Perhaps you should learn from your own experience here. Common sense.
edit..............

Last edited by LexFather; 05-29-05 at 06:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Toyota vs. Nissan