Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota vs. Nissan

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-05, 12:48 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I really like Nissan's exteriors, but the interiors lack a little, BUT that's not the car's downfall. Toyota usually has inviting interiors, and while the exteriors might be a little bland at times, they're by no means ugly. Nissan has either love it or hate it exteriors (I happen to love most).

Nissan's recently upped their act, since that deal with Renault, so the current cars are better than before.

Even though Nissans have usually been more poweful than it's Toyota counterpart, Toyota's slowly creeping up and sometimes surpassing Nissan in the huevos department.
An example is the new Avalon, the old one was anemic, with 210 hp out of a 3.0, compared to the 255 out of the 3.0 VQ. Now look, they both have 3.5s , the Avalon XL has 280 hp @ 6200 rpm
and 260 lb.-ft. @ 4700 rpm, while the Maxima's 3.5 SE squeezes out 265 hp @ 5,800 rpm and
255 lb-ft of torque @ 4,400 rpm. Clearly, the Avalon kicks the Maxima's *** in all aspects.

Also, while the Frontier may have a few more horsies ( ) under it's hood, it's out run by the Tacoma; which offers a sportier X runner, that outhandles a 350Z (which is pathetic; a sports car being out handled by a "truck", no offense to the Z owners....well maybe just a little, jk ).

Nissan has recently introduced Nismo edition off road Frontiers, clearly following Toyota's TRD Tacomas.

So what im trying to say is, Toyotas learns from other people's mistakes and successes, and pretty soon Nissan's only advantage will be exteriors...maybe..Toyota has quality and more recently, horsepower.

Go Toyota!
Old 05-26-05, 03:19 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLiP Sp33d
People won't even pay $60,000 for an Infiniti. I think I've seen only one new Q45 so far and it must have been for a test drive.
The new M45 tops out at about 60k and the m45 is selling better than expected. The QX56 tops out at about 57k and it sells. The FX45 tops out at about 59k and it sells. The upcoming GT-R is estimated to be above 60k, and i predict it will sell well. The old q45 is just ugly...
Old 05-26-05, 03:36 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by Xenthar
The new M45 tops out at about 60k and the m45 is selling better than expected. The QX56 tops out at about 57k and it sells. The FX45 tops out at about 59k and it sells. The upcoming GT-R is estimated to be above 60k, and i predict it will sell well. The old q45 is just ugly...
it tops out at 60k, but are people buying it at 60k?
Old 05-26-05, 03:37 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by alibaba
Young buyers want cars that are stylish inside and out and the boyish young crowd want power. The only stylish car Scion offers is tc, definately not the box xB or the hatchback xA. I don't understand why Toyota thinks teens would rather drive ugly boxes and shortened minivans with weezer engines...I personally don't understand the point of the Scion brand; not to say it is completely pointelss, but I think it has far greater potential than what has been so far demonstrated through their products...
you say that young people don't want those cars, yet they are selling really well
so you don't know what the market wants or is willing to buy
Old 05-26-05, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I respect all of your opinions here in the Scion-Nissan debate, but what just about all of you are forgetting is that Scion is NOT just a so-called " young person's " car despite the literal translation of " Scion " meaning " youth ". The only Scion product so far to actually sell mostly to youth is the tC. But the xA and xB are selling well to people in their 30's, 40's, 50's, and even 60-plus retired people...the xB more so than the xA. A 39-year-old co-worker of mine I went shopping with a few weeks ago came VERY close to buying an xB before settling on a Matrix instead....another so-called " youth " vehicle. The xA and xb appeal to many older people as well......retired people on fixed incomes that don't have a fortune to spend on a car are drawn by the car's low price, easy no-dicker Saturn-type deals, Toyota quality, reams of space efficiency inside to carry around all the things they typically stuff in back, great gas mileage, low insurance, and promise of longevity, and they are willing to put up with the shoe-box designs and quirky dashes.

Toyota is re-learning the same lesson in the marketplace with Scion that they did several years ago with the Echo.....another so-called " youth " machine that was supposed to replace the much more conservative Tercel ( a car that I though VERY highly of for commuters, by the way).
The Echo ended up selling.....and still sells.......heavily to seniors who don't have much money to spend, want a sedan instead of a hatchback / wagon, and want Toyota quality.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-26-05 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-26-05, 04:01 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by robloc93

Nissan has recently introduced Nismo edition off road Frontiers, clearly following Toyota's TRD Tacomas.
I like to call it blatant copy because the "Nismo" Off Road Package offers Bilstein Shocks just like the Toyota TRD Off Road Package that has been around for about 7 years now. Same w/the Pre-Runner, Nissan followed suit w/the "Desert Runner". Everyone copies each other. Just like how the DoubleCab Tacoma was introduced after Nissan put their crew cab out...as well as the long bed versions.

[img]

These two shots look way too similar. The older Tacoma one obviously was taken first.

Old 05-26-05, 04:04 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I respect all of your opinions here in the Scion-Nissan debate, but what just about all of you are forgetting is that Scion is NOT just a so-called " young person's " car despite the literal translation of " Scion " meaning " youth ". The only Scion product so far to actually sell mostly to youth is the tC. But the xA and xB are selling well to people in their 30's, 40's, 50's, and even 60-plus retired people...the xB more so than the xA. A 39-year-old co-worker of mine I went shopping with a few weeks ago came VERY close to buying an xB before settling on a Matrix instead....another so-called " youth " vehicle. The xA and xb appeal to many older people as well......retired people on fixed incomes that don't have a fortune to spend on a car are drawn by the car's low price, easy no-dicker Saturn-type deals, Toyota quality, reams of space efficiency inside to carry around all the things they typically stuff in back, great gas mileage, low insurance, and promise of longevity, and they are willing to put up with the shoe-box designs and quirky dashes.
the average is still the youngest of any car brand

and when a parent buys a car for their kid, it raises the average
Old 05-26-05, 04:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Is that your shadow with the camera, flip?
Old 05-26-05, 04:29 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

No because i've been to Utah but never to Moab.
Old 05-26-05, 04:34 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

I really like Nissan's exteriors, but the interiors lack a little, BUT that's not the car's downfall. Toyota usually has inviting interiors, and while the exteriors might be a little bland at times, they're by no means ugly. Nissan has either love it or hate it exteriors (I happen to love most).

Nissan's recently upped their act, since that deal with Renault, so the current cars are better than before.

Even though Nissans have usually been more poweful than it's Toyota counterpart, Toyota's slowly creeping up and sometimes surpassing Nissan in the huevos department.
An example is the new Avalon, the old one was anemic, with 210 hp out of a 3.0, compared to the 255 out of the 3.0 VQ. Now look, they both have 3.5s , the Avalon XL has 280 hp @ 6200 rpm
and 260 lb.-ft. @ 4700 rpm, while the Maxima's 3.5 SE squeezes out 265 hp @ 5,800 rpm and
255 lb-ft of torque @ 4,400 rpm. Clearly, the Avalon kicks the Maxima's *** in all aspects.

Also, while the Frontier may have a few more horsies ( ) under it's hood, it's out run by the Tacoma; which offers a sportier X runner, that outhandles a 350Z (which is pathetic; a sports car being out handled by a "truck", no offense to the Z owners....well maybe just a little, jk ).

So what im trying to say is, Toyotas learns from other people's mistakes and successes, and pretty soon Nissan's only advantage will be exteriors...maybe..Toyota has quality and more recently, horsepower.

Go Toyota!

I call bull**** on the tacoma xrunner outhandling a 350z. I dont care what toyota claims in this department.

Especially if both cars were to have the same handling mods, the 350z will come out on top.
Old 05-26-05, 04:46 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Inabj2
I call bull**** on the tacoma xrunner outhandling a 350z. I dont care what toyota claims in this department.

Especially if both cars were to have the same handling mods, the 350z will come out on top.
It's not BS because Toyota purposely used a stock 350z as a benchmark for the X-Runner's handling. Obviously a truck isn't going to outhandle a true sports car chassis, but that's pretty impressive for a factory tuned truck to match or exceed a sports car like the Z as a benchmark.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=100847
Old 05-26-05, 04:55 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I

Go Toyota!

X-Runner outhandles a 350Z??????

uhh i dont think so... but i am sure you have something to back up your statement.
Old 05-26-05, 04:55 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
For comparison's sake...

Corolla (Base)
1.8-liter DOHC 16-valve VVT-I
130 hp @ 6000 rpm;
125 lb.-ft. @ 4200 rpm

Sentra (Base)
1.8L 16 valve - Variable Valve Timing
126 hp @ 6,000 rpm
129 lb-ft @ 2,400 rpm

Toyota Tacoma Access Cab
2.7L 4cyl
164 hp @ 5,200 rpm
183 ft-lb. @ 3,800 rpm

Nissan Frontier XE King Cab
2.5L 4cyl
154hp @ 5,200 rpm
173 lb-ft @ 4,400 rpm
Ok but if you look at the more powerful options for the same cars.

Toyota Corrola XRS
1.8L 4cyl 6 speed manual
170hp @ 7600 rpm
127 ft-lbs @ 4400 rpm

Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V
2.5L 4cyl 6 speed manual
175hp @6000 rpm
180ft-lbs@4000 rpm

Toyota Tacoma X-runner
4.0L V-6 6 speed manual
245 Hp@ 5200 rpm
282ft-lbs@3800 rpm

Nissan Frontier 4dr king cab nismo
4.0L V-6 6 speed manual.
265 hp@5600 rpm
284 ft-lbs@4000 rpm
Old 05-26-05, 04:58 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
It's not BS because Toyota purposely used a stock 350z as a benchmark for the X-Runner's handling. Obviously a truck isn't going to outhandle a true sports car chassis, but that's pretty impressive for a factory tuned truck to match or exceed a sports car like the Z as a benchmark.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=100847
Ive yet to see independent testing confirm this claim till then Ill call it pr hogwash. And then even if it is true you cannot speak for all the 350z line up did it outhandle a base model 350z? Or was it the track edition or the 35th edition Z? Define testing? Did it merely grip better? Or did it slalom better? Or was a realistic testing like fastest car around a small roadcourse, autox type setup win?
Old 05-26-05, 05:30 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Ok but if you look at the more powerful options for the same cars.

I was simply making a point to the original poster which is false:

Originally Posted by alibaba
And I think all Nissan engines are more powerful than the Toyota competition.

Quick Reply: Toyota vs. Nissan