Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota vs. Nissan

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-05, 05:17 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the VQ has been rated the best V6 for 11 years because of how refined, smooth,and powrful it is. The Vq35de produces 300 hp and 280~ tq. Haven't seen a Toyota make that much from a V6 yet. And it gets about 21-22 city and 26-28 highway.

I had a Titan for a short time, gas hog big time. But it was a full size real truck. The Tundra was just too small when I drove them. At least Nissan hit the ball on the head with the Titan. They are selling almost 10k a month now. The Tundra failed since its been out, hopefully they get a better one soon. Nissan for 2007 has a Diesel coming too .

What do you think IRAQ uses for the trucks? Nissans. lol and the cars.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The VQ engine is being pushed too hard .... it's not as refined, smooth, or fuel efficient as competing Toyota engines. Show me a Nissan engine that equals the new GR V6 in the Avalon in terms of displacement, power, refinement, quiet and smooth operation, and fuel economy.

With the new GR V6 engines, Toyota has leapfrogged past the VQ in terms of power, while making an even more refined engine, with even better fuel economy than before.

The Titan is hardly that much larger than a Tundra .... and lets not forget that Toyota was FIRST to even ATTEMPT the full size market with the Tundra. Plus, seeing as the Titan is a recent and new model from Nissan, be fair and give some time for the new Tundra to appear, which truly will be FULL SIZE ... and will be the first Japanese truck EVER to offer a diesel dually version. Take that Nissan! j/k

But seriously, Toyota has lots of experience with trucks. Nissan doesn't stand up overall to Toyota when it comes to trucks. Whenever you watch any footage from a war torn or pverty stricken country.....say Afghanistan or Iraq, most likely you'll notice all the Toyota trucks that the locals drive.

Toyota trucks are used in the jungles of Africa, and in the deserts of the middle east. Toyota trucks also carry worldwide fame for running in desert and baja rallies.

What can you say about Nissan's trucks?
Old 05-27-05, 05:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The VQ engine is being pushed too hard .... it's not as refined, smooth, or fuel efficient as competing Toyota engines. Show me a Nissan engine that equals the new GR V6 in the Avalon in terms of displacement, power, refinement, quiet and smooth operation, and fuel economy.

With the new GR V6 engines, Toyota has leapfrogged past the VQ in terms of power, while making an even more refined engine, with even better fuel economy than before.
It's a bit early to conclude that, we'll see how good they are in the IS350/GS350
Old 05-27-05, 06:03 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AmethySC
It's a bit early to conclude that, we'll see how good they are in the IS350/GS350

Not only that... but then.. the GR block will fall short to the VQ32DETT that will be coming out in a few years, unless of course Toyota makes a V6 (any means possible) that reaches close to 500 crank hp.
Old 05-27-05, 06:15 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by G35_TX
I had a Titan for a short time, gas hog big time. But it was a full size real truck. The Tundra was just too small when I drove them. At least Nissan hit the ball on the head with the Titan. They are selling almost 10k a month now. The Tundra failed since its been out, hopefully they get a better one soon. Nissan for 2007 has a Diesel coming too .
The next generation Tundra is going to be built in the all new Toyota Motor Manufacturing plant in San Antonio, TX w/a diesel variant as well.

Perhaps you're confusing Toyota's numbers w/Nissan's. The Titan is just over 3k short of Tundra sales and just for kicks 1k more than the Armada, FYI. Failure? Not by the facts:

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NISSAN DIVISION SALES
----------------------------------------------------------------------
                  April   April   Monthly     CYTD     CYTD   CYTD DSR
                                    DSR
                 -----------------------------------------------------
                   2005    2004  % Change     2005     2004  % Change
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Armada            3,061   2,537      16.2%  13,856   10,170      36.2%
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Titan             7,387   5,268      35.0%  29,042   19,475      49.1%

Code:
                        TOYOTA RETAIL SALES
                            (INCLUDES FLEET & HAWAII)
                                   April, 2005

----- CURRENT MONTH ----- -- CALENDAR YEAR TO DATE --

DSR %                     DSR %
                        2005      2004     CHG    2005      2004     CHG

SEQUOIA             4,039    4,319   -9.9   16,164   18,374   -12.0

TUNDRA             10,932    8,672   21.4   43,660   32,613    33.9
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161134
Old 05-27-05, 06:37 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think all Nissans are junk-but Toyota has better resale and nicer stuff in general.
I own this 1988 Nissan V-6 5 sp truck with 147000 miles and it is a really good beater truck. I think of the trucks of this era (before Tacoma), that the Nissans where better.The original clutch lasted 145,000 miles, and it still burns no oil. I do own two Lexus also though
Old 05-27-05, 08:39 AM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you think IRAQ uses for the trucks? Nissans. lol and the cars.
That's why we're at war w/ Iraq... to leave Toyota trucks there

The VQ has been a great engine base... but you can only bore out an engine so many times =P

We can't really compare the VQ series w/ the GR series (totally different time lines!) The VQ compares to the MZ line... which is OK... but the new "world engine" line (GR series) will be taking the place of what the VQ is in Nissan's line. It will be placed in almost all Toyota vehicles that offer a V6... the difference is that each engine has its own displacement to benefit the car it's going into. A Camry doesn't need 500 HP (it doesn't need anything over 250... the Avalon will fall into that "who am i, where am i" phase again if the camry got the 2GR lol)

Nissan is definately growing here... but if they don't treat their customers right***, they will run to alternatives.
Note: (V6Performance.net forums) - This guy bought a Titan and there were multiple problems... he got the lemon of the bunch... and Nissan didn't do jack crap for him until his 4th transmission replacement. They finally bought the car back minus the milage (least style milage... 12K/year + x cents per mile over)... they guy will never go back to Nissan... he's moving to a GM.
Old 05-27-05, 08:48 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Well the VQ has been rated the best V6 for 11 years because of how refined, smooth,and powrful it is. The Vq35de produces 300 hp and 280~ tq. Haven't seen a Toyota make that much from a V6 yet. And it gets about 21-22 city and 26-28 highway.
The VQ is a legendary engine no doubt. Give it a few months and you will see.

The latest evolution of the GR series engine is currently in the new Avalon:

2GR-FE 3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve Dual VVT-i V6
280 hp @ 6200 rpm
260 lb.-ft. @ 4700 rpm
And gets better mileage. 22 city and 31 highway.

Sure it's only 20 hp less, but as soon as Direct Injection is implemented into this motor (i.e. upcoming IS350, GS350, the VQ35's power will be dwarfed. Of course it's a never ending battle because Nissan will eventually up the HP later down the road.
Old 05-27-05, 09:11 AM
LexFather

My 2 cents (which will probably have Nissan fans wanting to hang me by the *****). Please READ what I say, don't assume I am trashing anything.

Old Nissans were GREAT cars. Great as in ALL AROUND. Good power, good interiors, good build quality, etc etc. But they had TOO MANY platforms and only 1 was profitable! (The Altima) Infiniti was almost dropped as a brand, it was a complete failure. Nissan was bought by the FRENCH!! Renault OWNS Nissan!!

They decided to bring in Carlos Ghosen who is known as "le cost cutter". He is about ONE and ONE thing only, PROFIT!!! He combined platforms and told Nissan they must do this"
1. Share EVERYTHING to cut costs.
2. Make STYLISH cars that stand out
3. Make cars/SUVs that will make SURE money!!
4. Price the cars more expensive though they are cheaper to build.
5. Move production to America.

He promised to have Nissan in the black, profitable etc etc.

Well it DID happen!! Nissans did become very stylish in comparison to the competiton. THey utilized the 3.5 VQ in every thing sold, since its a very great and flexible engine. Proftis rolled in overnight since everything is related one way or another. The 350Z brought the HALO to the company but IS profitable. If it wasn't Ghosen said it would not have been made.

They concetrated on Infiniti and did the same. Shared everything, give it more style and sporty. It is working, Infiniti finally sold over 100,000 vehicles last year.

Clearly, though wiht the cost cutting, Nissan interiors are simply WORST in the industry. They are all horrible. Period. THe quality of the cars is still below average and worse than Honda/Toyota easily. But GHOSEN knows this and doesn't care. Once the PROFITS are rolling in, he could care less.

And that is why Honda/Toyota are still overall, superior. B/C they didn't forget how important it is to be one of the best built cars/SUVs, as well as offer everything else.

Nissan has done a great job turning it around and has found its customers who are more concerned with style and looks and speed, than quality and fit and finish etc. Nissan is still a very hot company right now!

Old 05-27-05, 09:14 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Xenthar
The new M45 tops out at about 60k and the m45 is selling better than expected. The QX56 tops out at about 57k and it sells. The FX45 tops out at about 59k and it sells. The upcoming GT-R is estimated to be above 60k, and i predict it will sell well. The old q45 is just ugly...
Infiniti doesn't even seperate M35/45 sales to the public, we have no idea how many M45s they sell let alone how many at 60k. The FX45 is selling very, very slow, their own QX56 is hurting its sales. And its not 59k. The QX is selling well but ANY SUV sells well.

Infiniit still has NEVER had a good selling sedan over 60k let alone 50k or 40k. The new M35/45 is the FIRST (and meeting sales expectations).

Old 05-27-05, 10:06 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
My 2 cents (which will probably have Nissan fans wanting to hang me by the *****). Please READ what I say, don't assume I am trashing anything.

Old Nissans were GREAT cars. Great as in ALL AROUND. Good power, good interiors, good build quality, etc etc. But they had TOO MANY platforms and only 1 was profitable! (The Altima) Infiniti was almost dropped as a brand, it was a complete failure. Nissan was bought by the FRENCH!! Renault OWNS Nissan!!

They decided to bring in Carlos Ghosen who is known as "le cost cutter". He is about ONE and ONE thing only, PROFIT!!! He combined platforms and told Nissan they must do this"
1. Share EVERYTHING to cut costs.
2. Make STYLISH cars that stand out
3. Make cars/SUVs that will make SURE money!!
4. Price the cars more expensive though they are cheaper to build.
5. Move production to America.

He promised to have Nissan in the black, profitable etc etc.

Well it DID happen!! Nissans did become very stylish in comparison to the competiton. THey utilized the 3.5 VQ in every thing sold, since its a very great and flexible engine. Proftis rolled in overnight since everything is related one way or another. The 350Z brought the HALO to the company but IS profitable. If it wasn't Ghosen said it would not have been made.

They concetrated on Infiniti and did the same. Shared everything, give it more style and sporty. It is working, Infiniti finally sold over 100,000 vehicles last year.

Clearly, though wiht the cost cutting, Nissan interiors are simply WORST in the industry. They are all horrible. Period. THe quality of the cars is still below average and worse than Honda/Toyota easily. But GHOSEN knows this and doesn't care. Once the PROFITS are rolling in, he could care less.

And that is why Honda/Toyota are still overall, superior. B/C they didn't forget how important it is to be one of the best built cars/SUVs, as well as offer everything else.

Nissan has done a great job turning it around and has found its customers who are more concerned with style and looks and speed, than quality and fit and finish etc. Nissan is still a very hot company right now!
People tend to exagerate how bad the nissan interiors are. Really. Its truly not that bad its an interior period, ie material less then quarter of an inch think over the bare roof of your car. Maybe if people took their interiors apart often would they realize that a slightly better interior is not worth having a slower/ less manuverable vehicle.

The fit and finish of nissan is average not below it. And yesI to drive a lexus albeit an older one, and I trade that nice comfortable interior for more speed in a heart beat.
Old 05-27-05, 10:18 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Maybe if people took their interiors apart often would they realize that a slightly better interior is not worth having a slower/ less manuverable vehicle.
The average person will not gut out their interior often. There's no reason to unless you're a weekend track driver. Despite the fact if they wanted that they would have purchased a true stripped down interior, sports car. Most people buy cars for their driving comfort or preference. Ease of use, ergonomics and material quality are usually big factors in car buying. Some people like the plush isolated feel, some people don't really care. It's all preferential.
Old 05-27-05, 10:22 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Inabj2
People tend to exagerate how bad the nissan interiors are. Really. Its truly not that bad its an interior period, ie material less then quarter of an inch think over the bare roof of your car. Maybe if people took their interiors apart often would they realize that a slightly better interior is not worth having a slower/ less manuverable vehicle.

The fit and finish of nissan is average not below it. And yesI to drive a lexus albeit an older one, and I trade that nice comfortable interior for more speed in a heart beat.
I've sat/driven/ridden in pretty much every new Nissan/Infiniti. I OWNED a 1989 Nissan Sentra. I kid you not, most of the new interiors are of no better quality or materials than that 16 year old car, which is SAD. There should be no doubt in my mind in 16 years and in the much more expensive cars, the interiors are far superior. They are not. Deal with it. Its not an exaggeration, EVERY magazine on earth has commented that is not their strong point.

Some people simply do not care about that. Some people can't tell the difference between fake wood grain(plood) and the real thing. Some people don't look at panel gaps. Some can't hear the difference in closing a car door and one made of tin. Some don't care.

I do.

What is a less manuverable vehicle?

Old 05-27-05, 10:52 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

What is a less manuverable vehicle?
A chuck wagon or the thing that nissan calls an suv...the Armada
Old 05-27-05, 10:59 AM
LexFather

My favorite Nissans.
1. 300ZX
2. 3rd gen Nissan Maxima
3. R33 Skyline GT-R
4. 89 Nissan Sentra
5. 240Z
6. Original Pathfinder
7. Skyline/G35 coupe
8. 1st gen Q45
9. R34 Skyline GT-R
10. Cube!!

They make some awesome cars/SUVs, no doubt and just sold 1 million vehicles in a year for the first time.

Old 05-27-05, 11:11 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I agree. Any classic Z I definitely appreciate and admire. The R33 & R34 Skyline GT-R's are always legendary. I even like the 98-99 Maxima SE and 02-03 Maxima SE versions as well. The 240sx 95-98 S14 is also on my list. Definitely not a Nissan hater...but definitely don't like alot of the newer Carlos Ghosn Nissans.

Quick Reply: Toyota vs. Nissan