Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota vs. Nissan

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-05, 11:17 AM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gen 2 89-94 Maxes too?
Nice looking and good car .....
Old 05-27-05, 11:18 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

My 3 favourite Nissans

300ZX
Skyline GTR
G35 coupe

The original 240Z is a very important model & looks cool too, but I'm not old enough to have really appreciated it.
I don't care much about the rest . . .
Old 05-27-05, 11:22 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lex_Fnatic
Gen 2 89-94 Maxes too?
Nice looking and good car .....
THat is the Gen 3

Old 05-27-05, 11:23 AM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Bottom Line is everyone makes mistakes including Toyota. Toyota isn't better or Nissan wasn't better either. There are 12 zillion cars for everyone's taste. Mindset that your car is better than another is the mistake. Some people do these are those bad drivers, and lousy people. RESPECT, BE CAREFUL on the road (How did young American car owners come to think this way (I'll beat your...) I dunno . I dunno about Nissan but buying Toyota makes you feel good knowing that these consumers don't think this way because the company doesn't.

Last edited by Lex_Fnatic; 05-27-05 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-27-05, 12:44 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DC52E55
X-Runner outhandles a 350Z??????

uhh i dont think so... but i am sure you have something to back up your statement.

The Car Connection
Taco mackin'

Toyota 's brand new Tacoma X-Runner looks like an absolute rocket before it even turns a wheel. Under the hood you'll find a 245-hp 4.0-liter V-6, but it's the same basic engine and transmission as can be had in any other V-6 Tacoma, so it doesn't feel or sound as fast as it should.

It's also fitted to a longwinded and notchy six-speed gearbox, which makes hard work of getting the most from the engine. Therefore the first modification would be a short shifter from B&M and some Sparco racing pedals to make changing gear a little sweeter. Then let that V-6 breathe a little better with a three-inch Magnaflow exhaust system and K&N induction system - just as soon as they're available, that is. Because it's so new, there are not a lot of engine mods available for the X-Runner just yet, but I'm sure some will be along before long. I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota 's own TRD team whipped up a supercharger in the not-too-distant-future, which should see it pass the 300-hp mark with factory backing.

The X-Runner is doesn't really need any suspension or brake work because Toyota has spent a lot of time making sure this truck handles and stops right. Toyota says it has tuned the suspension to offer more lateral grip than a Nissan 350Z (in the dry, that is) while the brakes use 13 inch vented rotors up front with aluminum four-piston calipers and high-performance pads. Changing these out would pretty much be a waste. Instead, spend your money on some 19-inch 5Zigen Hyper5ZR rims and Falken STZ-01 tires to do that racy body kit some justice. You might also want to think about sprucing up the interior, which is fine except that it looks just like a stock X-Runner. Some new Corbeau TRS buckets and a smaller MOMO steering wheel (though you forfeit the airbag) would be nice. It might also improve steering responsiveness - not a strong point of the X-Runner. Overall, the sportiest Tacoma offer a lot for its $23,100 price tag, but some carefully chosen modifications are needed to make it as fun as it looks.
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enth...279.A8434.html
Here's another one for you:

Toyota Unveils the 2005 Tacoma X-Runner
Posted on February 5, 2004 12:03 AM

In a press event this morning to kick off the 2004 Chicago Auto Show, Toyota unveiled the production model of the 2005 Tacoma X-Runner sport truck.

Here's the official press release from Toyota:
exceprt:Power will be provided by a four-liter, 240 horsepower V6 engine with 275 pounds of torque and a six-speed close-ratio manual transmission. For buyers looking for an added boost over this already impressive powertrain, a TRD-developed, fully factory warranted supercharger system will be offered, capable of providing output in the neighborhood of 300 horsepower. The Tacoma X-Runner will be capable of zero-to-60 acceleration in seven seconds, with times reduced by more-than an additional second with the optional supercharger system.

Handling is even more impressive. During extensive testing, the X-Runner's road-holding ability was measured by an electronic accelerometer in excess of 0.9 g's of lateral acceleration. That's not only significantly better than any truck on the market, it repeatedly performed better than many sports cars, including the new Nissan 350-Z.
http://customtacos.com/news/archives/000028.shtml
ONe more for you
excerpt
The truck's name comes from an "X-braced" reinforced frame that boosts torsional rigidity for better stability and handling during aggressive driving. Complementing the beefed-up frame are firmer, shorter springs and specially tuned Bilstein gas shocks positioned outboard of the frame rails.

Enhancing both looks and performance, the X-Runner sits an inch lower on hefty, speed-rated 45-series V-rated tires centered with five-spoke alloy wheels.Benchmarked to the performance standards of Nissan's 350Z sports car, Toyota reports the X-Runner handles in excess of 0.9 gs lateral acceleration.
http://www.chron.com/class/cars/feat...le/070704.html
Anything else you wanna see?
Old 05-27-05, 02:00 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Infiniti doesn't even seperate M35/45 sales to the public, we have no idea how many M45s they sell let alone how many at 60k. The FX45 is selling very, very slow, their own QX56 is hurting its sales. And its not 59k. The QX is selling well but ANY SUV sells well.

Infiniit still has NEVER had a good selling sedan over 60k let alone 50k or 40k. The new M35/45 is the FIRST (and meeting sales expectations).
Yes SUVS do sell well as can be seen with lexus. The SUVS make up the majority of lexus sales. The whole point of me saying that is because that other guy said infiniti cant sell cars 60k or above. Just wait and see. When the GT-R comes out, I'm sure it will sell as expected. That car is estimated to be above 60k. There are also rumors of a q45 replacement already. The q45 may suck now, but as we have all seen, infiniti knows how to introduce cars better than ever.
Old 05-27-05, 02:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Xenthar
Yes SUVS do sell well as can be seen with lexus. The SUVS make up the majority of lexus sales. The whole point of me saying that is because that other guy said infiniti cant sell cars 60k or above. Just wait and see. When the GT-R comes out, I'm sure it will sell as expected. That car is estimated to be above 60k. There are also rumors of a q45 replacement already. The q45 may suck now, but as we have all seen, infiniti knows how to introduce cars better than ever.
and what if the GT-R stays a Nissan? I am really thinking they might make 2 cars, since Nissan shares everything. I am thinking a extreme hardcore GT-R and than an Infinitii version, say a Y32 or something, where it keeps the GT-R features but adds luxury.

Kind of how the G35 is a 350Z 2+2. I think that would be a good move.

As for a Q45, it doesn't matter, it won't sell. Look at the Acura RL, great car, tons better than before, the whole Acura lineup is solid, yet the RL is selling below expecations. The Audi A8 is a wonderful car and can't come close to 7/S/LS sales. The Jag XJ is all aluminum and a great car, its selling slow.

At that price its about PRESTIGE, not slalom times.

The market is very saturated right now.

As for SUVs making the majority of sales well guess what bub.
1. The MAJORITy of ALL new sales are SUVs now.
2. Looks like Infinti will have a bargain basement SUV under the FX, giving them 3 SUVs ala Lexus but at lower prices.
3. Lexus saw what the market wanted and helped make luxury SUVs so popular today. Where everyone now wants more than one SUV in their lineup

Old 05-27-05, 02:09 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

NISSAN currently offers more "eye-catching" and more "performance oriented" products (including Infiniti of course) out of Japan... PERIOD! Anyone who can't or doesn't see that is obviously biased. Now I am a "AUTOMOBILE ENTHUSIAST" and I'm also a "BANG 4 THE BUCK" consumer. There is absolutely no question that no current manufacturer here or abroad is giving both of the TWO (2) things described above across the board or in such a broad range. Now let me repeat that for those who might try and take my words out of context: Damn near EVERY car maker out there has products described above, BUT not in such a broad range as Nissan/Infiniti. The proof is in the pudding as they say. Most power/performance and often times room, in the majority of it's competition in both cars & trucks!

Oh and by the way for my "fiscal peeps" out there trying to preach about Toyota and it's "financial prowess" ... not so fast:
Nissan maintained an operating margin of 10% for the year. That means that before taxes, Nissan makes 10 cents in profit for every $1 in sales. That number is currently the highest in the automobile industry, even beating its other Japanese competitors. Toyota Motor Corp.'s (7203.TO) profit margins are currently roughly 9% while Honda Motor Co. (7267.TO) weighs in at just under 8%.

Nissan posts record earnings!

Japanese automaker also unveils three-year plan to boost growth.
April 25, 2005: 6:52 AM EDT

TOKYO -(Dow Jones)- Nissan Motor Co. (7201.TO), announcing record earnings for its fiscal year ended March 31, disclosed an ambitious new three-year plan that seeks to boost growth while establishing Nissan as one of the world's most financially disciplined car producers.

More intriguing information as to why NISSAN is waaaay on top of it's game: http://money.cnn.com/2005/04/25/news...nal/nissan.dj/

Ahhhhh... And what can I say about one of the GREATEST engines on EARTH that hasn't already been said:

Originally Posted by WARD'S AUTO WORLD
Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.'s sublime 3.5L “VQ” V-6 needs no introduction, being that it's won a 10 Best Engines award each and every year since the competition's inception in 1995. That the VQ has cemented itself as the dominant V-6 benchmark is without question — a decade after its introduction, the VQ, amazingly, remains the admitted development target of rivals who will discuss such details.

“No doubt about it, the Nissan V-6 is the 600-lb. gorilla of V-6s,” says a competing powertrain engineer. “No need to bring in a lot of different engines (for comparison), either. Power, torque, brake-specific fuel consumption, just about any attribute you're looking at, the Nissan's at the top of the list.”
Rarely has the industry seen such a seminal design. Equally extraordinary, subsequent generations have not lost the edge that made the original VQ variant, which displaced 3L, stand head and shoulders above its contemporaries.

Only now are competitors beginning to approach the alluring combination of power and refinement that have been VQ bywords since its launch. Continual upgrades and detail refinements have kept the VQ at the top of the heap, particularly in terms of power and torque. Honda's 3L V-6 — also a 10 Best Engines award winner for 2004 — surpasses some variants of Nissan's VQ in specific output, but the VQ's demonstrated flexibility means there are so many variants, in such a variety of vehicle applications, that the VQ's power and specific output figures now are widely spaced.

When the VQ was enlarged to 3.5L in 2002, its story became one not only of power and refinement, but torque as well. In almost any iteration, Nissan's VQ is a torque monster, and it generates a tidal wave of torque no other normally aspirated 6-cyl. can rival.

“The VQ absolutely hauls when you want it to,” says one Best Engines tester. “Still the best torque sensation all the way through the range.”

Indeed, one of the VQ's most notable attributes — apart from its precise, linear and crisp throttle response — is its brawny torque production at just about any rpm. The VQ V-6 is the stoutest V-6 around — but it's one of the most flexible, too. Regardless of what you ask of it, the VQ V-6 responds immediately. “There isn't a hitch or hole anywhere in the powerband. The VQ V-6 generates so much torque it seems there's always more than you need,” says another judge.

If power is the ultimate aphrodisiac, Nissan's VQ has given us all a decade's worth of satisfaction.
Just thought I'd share this info with my "Lexus Brothern" in case it was uhhhm somehow overlooked.
Old 05-27-05, 02:11 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Xenthar
Yes Lexus does well w/SUV's because the American market demands SUV's. They obviously made a huge hit in late 1997 for the RX300 and 1996 for the LX450. Obviously Infiniti saw the potential and followed suit after the fact. Like you, I can't wait to see the evolution of the GT-R, but I sure hope it doesn't look as hideous as the concept. The GT-R lost it's flare after the R34 and the legendary RB26DETT. Rumors of a bigger an better Q45 is great. But it's taking how many generations of Q45's and 16+ years later to get it right? Infinti (Nissan) sure does know how to introduce cars better than ever, especially after they realize how to do it right after the 3rd, 4th or more attempts later.
Old 05-27-05, 02:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
NISSAN currently offers more "eye-catching" and more "performance oriented" products (including Infiniti of course) out of Japan... PERIOD! Anyone who can't or doesn't see that is obviously biased. Now I am a "AUTOMOBILE ENTHUSIAST" and I'm also a "BANG 4 THE BUCK" consumer. There is absolutely no question that no current manufacturer here or abroad is giving both of the TWO (2) things described above across the board or in such a broad range. Now let me repeat that for those who might try and take my words out of context: Damn near EVERY car maker out there has products described above, BUT not in such a broad range as Nissan/Infiniti. The proof is in the pudding as they say. Most power/performance and often times room, in the majority of it's competition in both cars & trucks!

Oh and by the way for my "fiscal peeps" out there trying to preach about Toyota and it's "financial prowess" ... not so fast:

TOKYO -(Dow Jones)- Nissan Motor Co. (7201.TO), announcing record earnings for its fiscal year ended March 31, disclosed an ambitious new three-year plan that seeks to boost growth while establishing Nissan as one of the world's most financially disciplined car producers.

More intriguing information as to why NISSAN is waaaay on top of it's game: http://money.cnn.com/2005/04/25/news...nal/nissan.dj/

Ahhhhh... And what can I say about one of the GREATEST engines on EARTH that hasn't already been said:

Just thought I'd share this info with my "Lexus Brothern" in case it was uhhhm somehow overlooked.
http://www.france.diplomatie.gouv.fr...ref03/eco.html

Renault buys up Nissan

n March 27, 1999, Louis Schweitzer, CEO of Renault, and Yoshikazu Hanawa, CEO of the Japanese Group Nissan Motor, signed an agreement, in Tokyo, on a global partnership to help regulate Nissan's financial situation and stimulate the growth of both partners. In buying up the Japanese car manufacturer, the French Group Renault not only takes up the most important challenge ever attempted by a French company, it also seals the biggest takeover of a Japanese company by a foreign group.

Renault buys up Nissan.

Together, Renault and Nissan will become the world's fourth largest car manufacturers, with a market share of 9.1% and a production of 4.8 million vehicles a year. Together, the two companies hope to generate new synergetic effects and thereby cut costs estimated at FF 20 bn (3 bn euros*) over the period 2000-2002.

Old 05-27-05, 02:21 PM
LexFather

At the wheel of Nissan's revival

http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=book&id=89&page=12

"Renaissance Saisei-he-no-Chosen" (Renaissance: Taking on challenge of rebirth)
By Carlos Ghosn, translated by Haruko Nakagawa

Review by Takanori Kobayashi

Along with Toyota and Honda, Nissan was always thought to be one of the titans of the Japanese auto manufacturing industry until its poor business condition was exposed in the late 1990s.

Nissan's high point was way back in 1974 when it had the highest domestic market share of 34%. But after that, it was all downhill. By 1999, Nissan only had a 19% share of the domestic market.

In addition, Nissan's foreign market share was declining from 6.6% in 1991 to 4.9% in 1998. Even worse, the company's debts reached 2.1 trillion yen in 1998.

Nissan was ready for th last rites, everybody thought, until Renault, which bought a majority stake in Nissan in 1999, sent Carlos Ghosn out as CEO to take over.

Ghosn not only saved Nissan from going under, he restored it to profitability. In his first book, "Renaissance Saisei-he-no-Chosen," published by DIAMOND Inc, he reveals his management style and business philosophy.

Ghosn was born in 1954 in Brazil. After graduating from France's Ecole Polytechnique in 1978, he joined Michelin. He was appointed COO of Michelin Brazil in 1985 and CEO of Michelin North America in 1989. Then, in 1996, he joined Renault as an executive vice president before his current posting.

Ghosn writes about his early days on the assembly line. Since he majored in engineering, Michelin had offered him a position in the research and development section, but he refused, preferring to work out on the floor.

"To understand how the company works, the assembly line was the best place to be because I could watch a variety of people, such as factory laborers, engineers, supervisors and managers closely. It helped me immensely to understand the nuts and bolts of the operation, including problems," Ghosn writes.

Management and labor seldom see eye to eye in the auto industry in many countries. Ghosn discovered early on this was due to several barriers such as differences in educational background, egotism, inferiority complexes or simply a lack of communication.

Ghosn saw a need to restructure companies completely to prevent intracompany friction. At Michelin Brazil, Michelin North America, Renault and now Nissan, Ghosn has gone about his task of reform with almost ruthless efficiency.

Ghosn himself says of his style: "There is no one way to be a successful manager. You have to learn through trial and error many times."

However, throughout his entire career, Ghosn has insisted on one thing wherever he goes: cross functionality, as he calls it.

"When you bring people together from different fields and cultures, it's important to discard any preconceived traditions and customs, such as 'We always do it this way.' Such attitudes are obstacles to a company's development."

Ghosn's background, Lebanese-French born in Brazil, might make him an outsider, but his view as an outsider has helped him to approach and analyze a company's problems objectively. He says he likes to motivate each employee he comes in contact with, by giving them a purpose and goal to achieve. This is better than leading by force of will, he maintains.

Having done his job to restore Nissan to profitability, what's next for Ghosn? Rumors are already swirling that he will leave Nissan soon and take up the post of CEO of Renault, or some other big car manufacturing company such as General Motors or Ford.

Even though Nissan is well on the road to recovery, it would be a major blow if Ghosn were to leave.

Responding to this rumor, Ghosn ends his book by saying: "If the media look at my career carefully, they will find one clear principle. That is, Ghosn never abandons an unfinished project, but stays right until his task is done. My philosophy is that I can leave only when I have achieved the goals I have set for the company."

Old 05-27-05, 02:21 PM
xioix
Racer

its not hard for nissan when its whole nissan/infiniti line-up consist of 3 engnine blocks, and 4 platforms, no need to spend more money on other things
Old 05-27-05, 02:27 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

Originally Posted by xioix
its not hard for nissan when its whole nissan/infiniti line-up consist of 3 engnine blocks, and 4 platforms, no need to spend more money on other things

I agree.... When you have such a "stellar & versatile" product like the VQ, why bother?

Mike...... How many companys & corporations are acquired in their lifespan? I'm missing your point bro. The product still draws it's sweat and tears from it's original birth place: Japan. No matter who helps to get them on their feet, the a company is only going to stay there or make progress by forward thinking, profits, and meeting/exceeding expectations.
Old 05-27-05, 02:28 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by xioix
EXACTLY! Now Infiniti realizes they need to revamp their dealer network. Of course they're profitability is up but in order to get there, they cut corners and forgot to include the whole big picture. Simple.
Old 05-27-05, 02:30 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I agree.... When you have such a "stellar & versatile" product like the VQ, why bother?
Exactly the mentality of the "Ghosn Method", that's why they now realize they've fallen short in this department:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164552

Quick Reply: Toyota vs. Nissan