Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds: Pontiac GTO vs. Subaru STi Comparison Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-05, 03:41 AM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edmunds: Pontiac GTO vs. Subaru STi Comparison Test

http://www.edmunds.com/insidel...63961

Conclusion
On paper, the GTO looked tough to beat. A 400-hp small-block V8, six-speed manual, rear-wheel drive — what more do you need? But the more we drove these cars on the edge, the more we realized that the STi was the real deal. It held its own on the drag strip and flat-out smoked the GTO through the slalom. Plus its backseats come with doors. On the street, more than one editor noted that when it comes to raw, unfiltered feel, it's the Subaru that delivers over the more refined GTO. Add in the STi's higher-quality interior and usable trunk and it's the Subaru that gets our $33K.
Slalom testing confirmed the GTO's clumsiness as it rumbled through the cones at a leisurely 60 mph. The STi knifed through it at 66.7 mph, a Toyota Camry Solara can do it at 60.9 mph.
:eek: :eek:

Old 05-27-05, 04:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

What this test doesn't tell you, however, is that the GTO is almost worthless on anything but a dry surface despite electronic traction aids. The STi's AWD gives it a little better wet-surface traction but even so, you need to dump the Sti's summer hi-perf tires for better rain and snow rubber. Most other Subarus, of course, don't have this problem.....they have all-season tires on them from the factory.
Of course, many of the people who own these cars also own winter SUV's or beaters.
Old 05-27-05, 04:57 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What this test doesn't tell you, however, is that the GTO is almost worthless on anything but a dry surface despite electronic traction aids. The STi's AWD gives it a little better wet-surface traction but even so, you need to dump the Sti's summer hi-perf tires for better rain and snow rubber. Most other Subarus, of course, don't have this problem.....they have all-season tires on them from the factory.
Of course, many of the people who own these cars also own winter SUV's or beaters.
Which is a bloody shame since those tires make the car handle like crap on the dry, the bridgestone 092s on stock WRX are **** on the dry, those tires absolutely kill the handling capabilities of the non STI wrx, along with the buttery soft spring rates, its a disdain to the wrx chassis . anyone that puts all season tires on the STI is a Fool! Who buys a hot rod track car to go daisy driving when it gets wet? Theres another subaru for you if you want a snow rain vehicle its called an outback and their best driven on the right side of the road!

Ok virginia gets the occasional snowy days, I can see the wrx coming with the bridgestone 092s but theres no reason why the wrx has the same craptastic tires in sunny phoenix arizona! Summer tires can handle rain just fine as long as you keep your inputs smooth. However if an owner puts worthless low grip tires on the STI, then that person truly does not understand the purpose behind the STI.

And oh Edmunds drivers need either more cojones or a better skid pad their handling numbers are like 4 mph slower then normal for both cars. And after reading their reviews.... I conclude that either this people tested their cars in colorado, and or are quite possible very very poor drivers. a second slower in 0-60 and 1/4??? How??

Last edited by Inabj2; 05-27-05 at 05:07 AM.
Old 05-27-05, 05:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

There is truth to both sides here. Tire engineers are working on high-performance all-seasons that will handle well in the wet AND dry, but they have not been perfected yet. You cannot just wave a magic wand and come up with the perfect solution.....tire technology is a very complex science.

I also mentioned in my last post that may people who own summer high-performance cars also have a winter beater or high-traction SUV for lousy weather. You also have to consider that many Evo and WRX owners modify their cars anyway...so they can put whatever tires they want, whether they live in the sunny Southwest or the snowy Northeast.

You are correct that VA's climate varies quite a bit...from sub-tropical around Norfolk and the lower Chesapeake Bay to quite harsh and continental in the Allegheny and Blue Ridge mountains. in my zone right outside of DC we are right on the boderline between the areas that generally get mild winters and those that get more severe ones...it can (and does) go either way.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-27-05 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-29-05, 07:37 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a bizarre pair of cars to do a comparo with, but I guess STi vs. Evo is way played out.

I would have a really tough time picking between a STi and a GTO. But I saw a rather large, unattractive woman driving a GTO today and that really made my tummy turn. I doubt there are any fugly porkers driving around in STi's....
Old 05-29-05, 07:48 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
What a bizarre pair of cars to do a comparo with, but I guess STi vs. Evo is way played out.

I would have a really tough time picking between a STi and a GTO. But I saw a rather large, unattractive woman driving a GTO today and that really made my tummy turn. I doubt there are any fugly porkers driving around in STi's....
I dunno man, I bet there are some dudes who are big and also influenced by F&F, or maybe really knowledgable about cars rolling around in STis. Strange you mention that though because the first GTO I saw had a bigger lady driving it...odd...

James
Old 05-29-05, 08:25 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

For $33k, I'd definitely chose the sti over the gto. Most pontiac looks the same up front with the two big nostrel. The gto, grand prix and grand am looks almost the same up front. Pontiac should of kept the Trans Am. It looks much better and sportier than the GTO, IMO.

~Josh
Old 05-30-05, 07:40 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by joshthorsc
For $33k, I'd definitely chose the sti over the gto. Most pontiac looks the same up front with the two big nostrel. The gto, grand prix and grand am looks almost the same up front. Pontiac should of kept the Trans Am. It looks much better and sportier than the GTO, IMO.

~Josh
The twin kidney front of the BMW's all look similar but each model has it's own following.
Another thing...I think most guys who would be interested in a GTO could care less about comparisons. They are probably more interested in the sound, the pull, the muscle and size offered by the GTO. I know I am. GTO may not be beautiful but it looks a whole lot better than this...whatever it is.
Old 05-30-05, 07:59 AM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

it's sort of sad comparing AWD (probably most advanced in the market) vs RWD =P and also Japanese vs American... and also 4-F/I to V8-N/A... and... sedan vs coupe... and... uh... Silver vs Yellow... and... adding that Solara comment... now that's a low-blow to the GTO LOL!

All in all... you can't compare a rally proven car against a muscle car... 2 totally different segment w/ the only relation found in price tag and... sort of... tuner appeal
Old 06-06-05, 10:17 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

I dont know if I personally would ever buy a GTO but I do give it alot of respect. Its a nice car, its a decent drifter, and its not even really an American car
Old 06-07-05, 08:17 AM
LexFather

I like the GTO and it just gets royally banged by everywhere and everyone.