Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

G35 ad going after the new 330

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-05, 11:17 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Iceman
One thing I like about Lexus is their humble attitude. This goes all the way to the top, in comments Danny Clements makes to the press. In many ways, Lexus IS the benchmark (most sales, highest customer satisfaction, lowest problems and complaints, etc.) but they never brag or denigrate the competition. Instead, they focus on improving their own product--passionately.

Any marketing that resorts to name-calling or extremely narrow feature-bashing is an act of desperation. And this ad by Infiniti violates a cardinal rule of marketing--don't give free advertising to your competition. BMW profits as much from this as Infiniti does, with the admission by Infiniti that their product is struggling to match "the benchmark". And as someone else said, all BMW has to do is lay down the M3 gauntlet, and Infiniti is left sputtering like a spoiled child who is clearly outclassed. Oops.
That is a good point about giving BMW free advertising, I didn't think of that. I have seen threads like this one all over the net in a very short time, which I am sure Infintii is happy with thus far.

Thing is BMW horses have always been strong. They never need to have the most. Heck magazines can get the E46 330s 0-60 in under 6 seconds. And Nissan lost torque with the 298hp rating (which is amazing for the V-6, that is tons of power).

Old 05-30-05, 11:28 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LT. LEX
Sounds like Infiniti deserves a "Most Improved" award. Because like 1SICKLEX said, the first 13 years were pretty blah.
And it's too bad we don't give out a Most Improved award.
We like to stay strong throughout.
Old 05-30-05, 11:34 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
One thing I like about Lexus is their humble attitude. This goes all the way to the top, in comments Danny Clements makes to the press. In many ways, Lexus IS the benchmark (most sales, highest customer satisfaction, lowest problems and complaints, etc.) but they never brag or denigrate the competition. Instead, they focus on improving their own product--passionately.

Any marketing that resorts to name-calling or extremely narrow feature-bashing is an act of desperation. And this ad by Infiniti violates a cardinal rule of marketing--don't give free advertising to your competition. BMW profits as much from this as Infiniti does, with the admission by Infiniti that their product is struggling to match "the benchmark". And as someone else said, all BMW has to do is lay down the M3 gauntlet, and Infiniti is left sputtering like a spoiled child who is clearly outclassed. Oops.
Lexus is humble with the IS300 because there is nothing to brag about in terms of power and performance, hell, not even luxury to combat the 3 series. The IS was a competitior in its first few years of production, but got left behind throughout the years. The car handles very well, but the power is definitely lacking. The next IS however will be a very good competitor and by the looks of it, is directly competing against the 3 series with the variety of engines. Hope fully to be a real competitor, manual transmissions will be offered

The GT-R should be out the same time as the next gen m3. And from the testing in germany against the porsche turbo, it seems to be a very promising car. I can only see even more fierce competition in the days to come.

"Porsche 911 Turbo is going down... in fact, it seems Nissan are already claiming victory (???)... such is their confidence after the Nurburgring tests. Apparently, the first test failed because some driveline hardware was faulty, but the subsequent 2 tests were successful enough for Nissan to make final decisions on the driveline: 3.2L V6 Twin electric-assisted Turbo, FR-L platform (Primary Front engine/Rear wheel drive transaxle, motor-assisted front wheel drive or "e-4WD") with Getrag 7-speed sequential gearbox.

After much deliberation about 3.0, 3.5 and even 4.1L capacities for the VQ engine, they've decided on 3.2. The thing to bear in mind here is the Porsche 911 Turbo... it seems Nissan may want to defeat Porsche with less capacity...

Expected final power output: 480ps @ 7,200rpm, 58.0kg/m @ 5,200rpm. "(autoweek)

Last edited by Xenthar; 05-30-05 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-30-05, 12:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Xenthar
Lexus is humble with the IS300 because there is nothing to brag about in terms of power and performance, hell, not even luxury to combat the 3 series. The IS was a competitior in its first few years of production, but got left behind throughout the years. The car handles very well, but the power is definitely lacking. The next IS however will be a very good competitor and by the looks of it, is directly competing against the 3 series with the variety of engines. Hope fully to be a real competitor, manual transmissions will be offered

The GT-R should be out the same time as the next gen m3. And from the testing in germany against the porsche turbo, it seems to be a very promising car. I can only see even more fierce competition in the days to come.

"Porsche 911 Turbo is going down... in fact, it seems Nissan are already claiming victory (???)... such is their confidence after the Nurburgring tests. Apparently, the first test failed because some driveline hardware was faulty, but the subsequent 2 tests were successful enough for Nissan to make final decisions on the driveline: 3.2L V6 Twin electric-assisted Turbo, FR-L platform (Primary Front engine/Rear wheel drive transaxle, motor-assisted front wheel drive or "e-4WD") with Getrag 7-speed sequential gearbox.

After much deliberation about 3.0, 3.5 and even 4.1L capacities for the VQ engine, they've decided on 3.2. The thing to bear in mind here is the Porsche 911 Turbo... it seems Nissan may want to defeat Porsche with less capacity...

Expected final power output: 480ps @ 7,200rpm, 58.0kg/m @ 5,200rpm.
I can only see even more fierce competition in the days to come." (autoweek)

Iceman said Lexus as a whole, not just one car. And the IS got great reviews from every mag all over the world. It just was not as fast as the leaders in acceleration.

And the next 911 will have at least 500hp as the next GT-3 will have over 400hp. It will be a great battle but for Nissan to declare any victory against the turbo that is not even out is very premature.

To say "Hey my car has more HP than yours so its better' is pretty damn 3rd grade. I can understand maybe a Mustang owner or some dumb knucklehead saying that but a luxury brand?

Old 05-30-05, 12:21 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Iceman said Lexus as a whole, not just one car. And the IS got great reviews from every mag all over the world. It just was not as fast as the leaders in acceleration.

And the next 911 will have at least 500hp as the next GT-3 will have over 400hp. It will be a great battle but for Nissan to declare any victory against the turbo that is not even out is very premature.

To say "Hey my car has more HP than yours so its better' is pretty damn 3rd grade. I can understand maybe a Mustang owner or some dumb knucklehead saying that but a luxury brand?
Their test involved the current porsche turbo which is already quite fast. Very fast actually. When i rode in my cousin's turbo...man...that thing felt like a beast. I know it will have something like 500hp. My cousin plans to trade his turbo with x50 package for it when it comes out. He doesnt plan to trade it in for the extra power (since he says wont improve times by much), but because the headlights and bumper looks a little different. Go figure
Old 05-30-05, 12:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Xenthar
Their test involved the current porsche turbo which is already quite fast. Very fast actually. When i rode in my cousin's turbo...man...that thing felt like a beast. I know it will have something like 500hp. My cousin plans to trade his turbo with x50 package for it when it comes out. He doesnt plan to trade it in for the extra power (since he says wont improve times by much), but because the headlights and bumper looks a little different. Go figure
Yeah the X50 has 450hp but I am sure your cuz chipped it or tuned it for over 500 easy. Incredible car.

I am sure the GT-R will be a beast, as the G35 and M45 have been beasts with the performance numbers.

Old 05-30-05, 01:06 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

I got this in e-mail, pretty clever HP reference

Thing is, I wouldn't start with BMW. Hello, M5, M6 They can get brutal with comments. I remember a M3 ad when it first came out in 2001. "We looked perfection in the eye, perfection blinked" and they had a stunning pic of the M3. Now I am not sure if that was a reference to "Lexus" but when I think of the word "perfection" I think of the Lexus slogan "the passionate pursuit of perfection". Pretty clever on BMWs part.

This is some of the better Infiniti marketing I have seen. It appeals to my neatherthal side in relation to more power means better.

And is it just me or the freshened sedan looks a lot better?
The freshened style does look better imo 1SICK, still not the quality of a Lexus however. It's funny, I've seen several Lexus commercials in recent days with both their 'old' slogan (Relentless pursuit of perfection) & the newer one (The passionate pursuit of perfection) for ad's in BOTH Canada & the United States.
Old 05-30-05, 01:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
The freshened style does look better imo 1SICK, still not the quality of a Lexus however. It's funny, I've seen several Lexus commercials in recent days with both their 'old' slogan (Relentless pursuit of perfection) & the newer one (The passionate pursuit of perfection) for ad's in BOTH Canada & the United States.
Lexus cars are so groundbreaking, they don't even have to advertise, people do it for them...

Originally Posted by enigma354

Old 05-30-05, 01:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LT. LEX
Sounds like Infiniti deserves a "Most Improved" award. .
Infiniti..... maybe for the last year alone. For the last 5 years it would have to be Hyundai / Kia.
Old 05-30-05, 01:57 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Lexus cars are so groundbreaking, they don't even have to advertise, people do it for them...
Highly agree.
Old 05-30-05, 02:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

]
Whether they have to advertise or not is a debatable point......I'm not taking sides on this one.
In my part of the country, however, they DO advertise......both for new Lexuses and Certified Pre-Owned Ones. And it shows....a huge number of Lexuses are sold here....maybe not as much as in L.A. ( flip, you and I, of course, have already discussed that ).
Old 05-30-05, 02:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Whether they have to advertise or not is a debatable point......I'm not taking sides on this one.
In my part of the country, however, they DO advertise......both for new Lexuses and Certified Pre-Owned Ones. And it shows....a huge number of Lexuses are sold here....maybe not as much as in L.A. ( flip, you and I, of course, have already discussed that ).
Oh, I agree, Lexus does tons of advertising and is some of the best for any industry. I was just showing how the new GS was on the cover of Newsweek where millions of people at least glanced at the cover.

Old 05-30-05, 02:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

. I was just showing how the new GS was on the cover of Newsweek where millions of people at least glanced at the cover.
Interesting you bought that up. I would lay money that probably half of the people who read NEWSWEEK couldn't identify it as a new Lexus without the circle " L " logo on the grille, and probably 25 % even WITH it.
Old 05-30-05, 03:05 PM
C-Train
Lead Lap

lol, i noticed how this thread started turning very pro-lexus, and all the pro-infiniti guys backed away w/ nothing to say. go lexus