Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Purchasing 2005 Toyota Avaon vs. 2003 Lexus LS430

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-05, 02:24 PM
vinster29
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Purchasing 2005 Toyota Avalon vs. 2003 Lexus LS430

I am considering purchasing either a brand new 2005 Toyota Avalon Limited or a Used 2003 Lexus LS430. I am interested to know what you guys think would be a better value for the money. I know that Lexus has a better warranty, bigger engine, more features and better resale value than the Avalon but I just can't seem to get over how similiar the New avalon is to the LS430!! Driving a new Avalon is like driving a mini-LS430. I guess I could always buy Lexus emblems off ebay and change them up. Wouldn't that be funny!! Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks I was just kidding about the rebadging part guys!!!

Last edited by vinster29; 05-29-05 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-28-05, 02:46 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by vinster29
. . . Driving a new Avalon is like driving a mini-LS430. I guess I could always buy Lexus emblems off ebay and change them up. Wouldn't that be funny!!
if you do, don't post pics here, they'll crucify you here

I'll take the LS430 BTW, better materials, built quality, sound deadening etc. besides the Lexus name, in addition to what you mentioned.
Old 05-28-05, 03:12 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS all the way! If you had the choice and price isn't a factor, why not get the better one?
Old 05-28-05, 03:19 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS430 all the way!

I agree that the LS has nicer ride quality, softer leather, real wood trim (unlike plastic on Toyota), quieter cabin, longer warranty, and better resale value. I would choose a few years old Lexus over a new Toyota any day. (Although I would buy a Toyota if Lexus wasn't an option). And I'm sure you were just kidding about the swapping of the emblems, right? 'Cos that's just plain tacky. Get the LS430, you'll be glad you did.
Old 05-28-05, 03:43 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing that the Avalon has going for it IMO is the gas mileage. If a lower mileage doesn't bother you, the LS430 is simply a no-brainer as others have said.
Old 05-28-05, 03:48 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

if u are one of those people who want to buy a car just for moving from point A to B, go with Avalon (not Avaon as the title said). i drove the new Avalon and it's a very nice car but i found it quite boring( it was touring). But it gives you the best bang for the bucks. LS430, however, is a different story. if i have to choose btw 2, i would go for LS.
Old 05-28-05, 05:23 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Go with the LS430, you won't be dissapointed. Many people say the LS, when new, is a bargain considering what you get for how much you pay. If you read "The Lexus Story" and see the INCREDIBLE detail put into engineering the LS, and then just think how much it has even improved over the original in the past 15 years, you'd realize even a wonderful car like the Avalon will never be as good as the LS. The current LS also has some ridiculously impressive drag coefficient of .25 or .26 I think. The serenity and comfort is gonna be hard to beat. Also, the Mark Levinson stereo is amazing to say the least.

Also, I'm wondering if all the bugs are worked out of the Avalon, I believe all of the new ones just got recalled for a suspension problem. There is a thread about it somewhere here on CL.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 05-28-05, 06:24 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get the used LS. someone else already took the new car depreciation hit on it and it's a nicer car. how can you go wrong with the Lexus Flagship?
Old 05-28-05, 07:11 PM
LexFather

The new Avalon is spectacular but the LS is one of the grandest cars on the road. LS for me

Old 05-29-05, 07:40 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vinster29
I am considering purchasing either a brand new 2005 Toyota Avalon Limited or a Used 2003 Lexus LS430. I am interested to know what you guys think would be a better value for the money? I know that Lexus has a better warranty, bigger engine, more features and better resale value than the Avalon.
Who said there are no dumb questions? The only thing the Avalon and the LS430 have in common is that they are cars. Vinster29, if you really can't tell the difference in quality and value between the Avalon and LS430, then what you drive shouldn't make a difference.
Old 05-29-05, 11:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

although the new avalon is pretty darn nice, if i am given the choice, i will get ls430 any day. that's lexus flagship and you are getting a real top level luxury bargain
Old 05-29-05, 11:44 AM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

There shouldnt even be a dilema... LS all the way
Old 05-29-05, 03:05 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Yes, LS no doubt. Reminds me of a guy who's parents just bought a new Avalon and said they were stuck between a new Avalon or new LS and decided on the Avalon because they were basically the same car but the Toyota was over $30k cheaper. I just said, "yeah, sure man" and cahnged the subject. And this was between the last gen and an '04 LS!

James
Old 05-29-05, 06:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Count me in with the LS crowd.

Ordinarily I would say go with a brand-new car for warranty and reliability reasons, but not in this case. Even a two-year-old LS , IMO, has more appeal than a brand-new Avalon. I test-drove a new Avalon XLS in March and, while the powertrain was well-designed, I was not particularly impressed at all with the car's interior and hardware....the orange plastic-wood trim in particular was awful.
The LS430, IMO, is one of the finest cars on the planet, with overall quality, engineering, and refinement that is second to none, although it can be argued that the Mercedes S-Class and Volvo S-80 have a few more safety features.....and the S-Class has an equally smooth ride. But the reliability of these two European cars, especially in electronics, cannot begin to compare with the LS.

The only exception I would say is if you have to do a lot of driving on wet or icy roads...there the rear-drive LS will probably not equal the Avalon's front-drive traction even with the LS's standard traction control and stability system.......things that the Avalon ( in most versions) also has, plus the inherent advantage of front-drive.

Good luck.
Old 05-29-05, 06:30 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

The new Avalon is an awesome vehicle granted it's brand new and you have a full warranty. Despite the LS430 being a 2 year old car, it's still an amazing value for what it offers. It would be a tough decision. If I had a choice, i'd go with a 2004 LS430 (Gen 3.5) update.

Quick Reply: Purchasing 2005 Toyota Avaon vs. 2003 Lexus LS430