Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Rice trend is drifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-05, 02:20 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yanking the e-brake and holding on to it in the rain is not drifting. Thats just stupid, lets just say he knows how to slide real well.
Old 05-30-05, 02:36 PM
C-Train
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn...just let the guy have fun.
Old 05-30-05, 02:40 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

This is a drift car

THis is gay
Old 05-30-05, 02:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mooretorque
Sorry, mm, I should have been a little clearer. All that sliding around was, indeed, practice (at least, once I was more than 20 years old) since there was no other reasonable way to learn skid recovery techniques. But it was still fun!

Now, high performance driving schools have cars with adjustable outriggers that can take enough weight off the corners of the car to produce lurid slides at very low speeds. And there's the Bridgestone Winter Driving School at Steamboat Springs, CO, which provides the same benefit (in much the same way we used to obtain it).

And despite all the electronic aids we have, I still think car control skills are paramount. The laws of physics remain unchanged; the ability to anticipate situations and to drive with your attention considerably farther up the road than the 10-50 feet range which is focus point of the average "driver" ("steering wheel holding passenger" is a more apt description) are skills that can be taught. And this is why, as my two boys come of age, I will go with each one to Bondurant or one of the other schools for proper "driver's education".
I agree..... Professional driving schools like Bondurant, Summit Point, Skip Barber, etc.... are the proper places to learn to control a car at the limit.
Old 05-30-05, 02:55 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bean
Go enter the word "drift" on ebay motors and see all the crap that comes up...

I'm talking about S13s and FCs, not S14s and FDs... no one drifts S14s and FDs around here... I'm sorry you cant understand that...

My car is certainly worth as much as an FD and also much more so than a S14... FDs are worth around $8k-$10k and S14s are about $5k-$8k...
but I was comparing my car vs a $1-2k S13 or $2k FC... dirt cheap cars that people put ugly *** wings and stickers all over and call them a drift-car... then proceed to ask me when I'm going to "drift the soarer" like its even a soarer..

I dunno why you said I sound like a Supra owner? maybe the cost of the car? Supras are worth as much as people pay for them; if you don't like it then get over it

I like autocross, and I used to like drifting; until all the bandwagoneers jumped on and ruined it...
go enter the word "Drift" into ebay motors, i DARE you...
Lemme go find the drifter parking brake handle (i wonder what kind of car this is for?) or the drifter foglights!!!

Dang! look at this drifter bodykit!!! ITs mad tight y0!!!
dorifto master!

Holy crap!!! A drifter INTAKE!!!
omg teh h0tnesss!!!!!!11oneone

OMG its teh dorifto kit for meh cougar!!!!111
so tite!!!

Need I continue? This is the drift community now, there are a few hardcore enthusiasts that are truly dedicated to doing it, but every single day some newbie jumps on wanting to "drift" his or her car and asks questions about it.... and these same people are the ones that buy this crap and call themselves a drifter...
I wont associate myself with this crowd... just as the same I wouldnt associate myself with the Supra crowd for the longest time until the Arizona Supra owners were kicked out for the most part of supraforums and all other supra bulletin boards that actually matter
Dang Bean, tell us how you really feel man! I agree though that whatever becomes trendy (just by the nature of it) will have people jumping all over it. It really only hurts those who were dedicated to the activity since its inception. Like you said, you were into drift a while ago, but now people are asking you about the Soarer (probably memorizing chasis codes to sound sooo much more JDM). I think you can spot a silver lining in all of this though. As drifting, drag racing, tuning cars, whatever you may have becomes played out it forces those with real creativity to leave this now saturated arena and look for something new to get involved in and there you have new events. I'm sure drifting just started with a few guys and got more and more popular in Japan, and the rest is history.

James
Old 05-30-05, 03:34 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bean
Go enter the word "drift" on ebay motors and see all the crap that comes up...

I'm talking about S13s and FCs, not S14s and FDs... no one drifts S14s and FDs around here... I'm sorry you cant understand that...

My car is certainly worth as much as an FD and also much more so than a S14... FDs are worth around $8k-$10k and S14s are about $5k-$8k...
but I was comparing my car vs a $1-2k S13 or $2k FC... dirt cheap cars that people put ugly *** wings and stickers all over and call them a drift-car... then proceed to ask me when I'm going to "drift the soarer" like its even a soarer..

I dunno why you said I sound like a Supra owner? maybe the cost of the car? Supras are worth as much as people pay for them; if you don't like it then get over it

I like autocross, and I used to like drifting; until all the bandwagoneers jumped on and ruined it...
go enter the word "Drift" into ebay motors, i DARE you...
Lemme go find the drifter parking brake handle (i wonder what kind of car this is for?) or the drifter foglights!!!

Dang! look at this drifter bodykit!!! ITs mad tight y0!!!
dorifto master!

Holy crap!!! A drifter INTAKE!!!
omg teh h0tnesss!!!!!!11oneone

OMG its teh dorifto kit for meh cougar!!!!111
so tite!!!

Need I continue? This is the drift community now, there are a few hardcore enthusiasts that are truly dedicated to doing it, but every single day some newbie jumps on wanting to "drift" his or her car and asks questions about it.... and these same people are the ones that buy this crap and call themselves a drifter...
I wont associate myself with this crowd... just as the same I wouldnt associate myself with the Supra crowd for the longest time until the Arizona Supra owners were kicked out for the most part of supraforums and all other supra bulletin boards that actually matter
Well see thats the difference, I will admit that I am not a drifter and not really associated with drifting. But around here if anyone wants to drift or asks "Where can I drift" in the right places theyll be most likely directed to go look here:

http://www.az240sx.org/forums/index.php?showforum=10

But come on man you cant call the poser crap you posted the drifting community. Me and you both know thats not the real drifting community. Thats just poser bull**** that exists no matter where you go. What you just stated is not to far from the hot rod guys saying all people that all import tuners drive fwd economy cars that are mostly stock with big tacky body pieces.

BTW There are quite a few S14 drifter cars around here. And recently one of them totalled their car doing so. (S13 ran into the S14... at a US drift event.) You can probably search for the video iin that board that I posted.

Real drifting communities reside in places where people actually go do it. And just like us, they also have a poser problem giving them a bad image.
Old 05-30-05, 03:36 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jet864
Dang Bean, tell us how you really feel man! I agree though that whatever becomes trendy (just by the nature of it) will have people jumping all over it. It really only hurts those who were dedicated to the activity since its inception. Like you said, you were into drift a while ago, but now people are asking you about the Soarer (probably memorizing chasis codes to sound sooo much more JDM). I think you can spot a silver lining in all of this though. As drifting, drag racing, tuning cars, whatever you may have becomes played out it forces those with real creativity to leave this now saturated arena and look for something new to get involved in and there you have new events. I'm sure drifting just started with a few guys and got more and more popular in Japan, and the rest is history.

James
You might as well give up cars if youre going to let a few trendy *******s ruin it for you.
Old 05-30-05, 03:42 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I'm not saying I'd give anything up due to some trendy people but it makes it quite a bit tougher to really enjoy what you do when you have people trying to do exactly what you've been loving for so long. If you look around at this board and the SC section in particular you can really notice the amount of trolls popping up asking about turbo this, gte that, and I've almost completely stopped hanging out in that section because there's so much repeated, worthless talk going on. It really does make it tougher. However, I got my car not because I wanted to drift or make a 600000rwhp beast, but because it's damn sexy a good solid car.

I'm actually really thinking about getting something older, something where there's not a saturated crowd jumping on the bandwagon, and having fun with that car and being original. I don't think there's anything wrong with becoming original.

James
Old 05-30-05, 04:39 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jet864
I'm not saying I'd give anything up due to some trendy people but it makes it quite a bit tougher to really enjoy what you do when you have people trying to do exactly what you've been loving for so long. If you look around at this board and the SC section in particular you can really notice the amount of trolls popping up asking about turbo this, gte that, and I've almost completely stopped hanging out in that section because there's so much repeated, worthless talk going on. It really does make it tougher. However, I got my car not because I wanted to drift or make a 600000rwhp beast, but because it's damn sexy a good solid car.

I'm actually really thinking about getting something older, something where there's not a saturated crowd jumping on the bandwagon, and having fun with that car and being original. I don't think there's anything wrong with becoming original.

James
Yea the SC section is flooded with people with people asking about repeated questions from the dead. The only new thing recently I've seen is VS's 5-spd 1UZ project. Which I'm following intently. I want to do the same to my car. I just wanna see how much faster a 1UZ 5-spd is compared to a 2jz 5-spd is.
Old 05-30-05, 04:56 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
Yea the SC section is flooded with people with people asking about repeated questions from the dead. The only new thing recently I've seen is VS's 5-spd 1UZ project. Which I'm following intently. I want to do the same to my car. I just wanna see how much faster a 1UZ 5-spd is compared to a 2jz 5-spd is.
Im going to take a dumb stab here but probably the difference between a auto 1uz and a auto 2jz?

Ill admit i got this car because i wanted to do something out of it.. but then I ran out of money. and got side tracked and then bought a 240sx because that car had a soft spot from me from a previous car...(and because my sc300 got freaking rear ended and was out of commission for a few months.)

Now im just going take it easy and do small stuff to it...
Old 05-30-05, 05:09 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Is anyone GLAD that drifting is the next rice trend? When it comes down to it the current trends were EXHAUSTED and the entire car modifying community in the united states had 2 style paths to take...

1. Drifting
2. VIP

I for one would be more then happy if for the next 5 years people threw "drift" body kits on their cars and called themselves driftzillia instead of slamming their black accord and throwing on some dish wheels and calling it VIP.

Just like Robert Frost once said in his bagged Celsior... “I took the path less traveled by, and it has made all the difference”
Old 05-30-05, 05:42 PM
LexFather

Well I noticed that so people in FWD cars are doing and adding things that are for RWD cars. Just take a look
One of the WORST new trends is putting staggered wheels on FWD cars. It serves NO FUNCTIONAL PURPOSE!! It is RICE!!! With FWD cars getting bigger and bigger and staggered wheels more available than ever, well its pathetic.

Believe it or not, the 2K5 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP has 255/45/18 front and 225/50/18 rear

That is b/c it has a 303hp V-8 and the extra rubber is needed up front. FUNCTIONAL

Both those cars above are just rice. Imagine a RWD car with skinnier rear wheels than the front?

Even with style. Black wheels and gunmetal should stay on RWD or AWD performance cars. It has now trickled down to FWD cars. Now on any given day, I can see a FWD Impala or Civic or Accord or Kia with black/black wheels or gunmetal on a totally UNMENACING car.

It happened with Dubs. As the cheap wheel companies came along and the FWD cars got bigger, well dubs and bigger are slapped. The new Altima for instance and Impala etc. It looks asinine b/c you know its not an expensive car. The dub culture from big body cars like Benz/Lexus etc tricked down and now its out of control.

Drifiting is a RWD sport. I do believe there is one or maybe 2 maximum FWD cars competing but the vast majority are RWD. It was just a matter of time before it trickled down.

The other sport is DRAG RACING, it was unheard of to drag FWD cars but now we have 8 secon d Drag Civics. Fast yes but it simply looks dumb.

Old 05-30-05, 05:42 PM
LexFather

Cliff notes to ^^^^^^ Leave it to numbnut people in FWD cars to ruin something good.

Old 05-30-05, 05:53 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Cliff notes to ^^^^^^ Leave it to numbnut people in FWD cars to ruin something good.

Hahha maybe faster fwd cars then yours **** you off?

I agree with the staggered wheel setup and dubs on ANY car (unless its reverse staggered.). But you lost me when you started complaining about fwd fast cars. WTH is wrong with a fast fwder?

I can appreciate any car built for speed REGARDLESS of drive train. with the proper tuning itll clean your clock out.
Old 05-30-05, 06:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Hahha maybe faster fwd cars then yours **** you off?

I agree with the staggered wheel setup and dubs on ANY car (unless its reverse staggered.). But you lost me when you started complaining about fwd fast cars. WTH is wrong with a fast fwder?

I can appreciate any car built for speed REGARDLESS of drive train. with the proper tuning itll clean your clock out.
I am not complaining, its quite incredible to see an all motor Civic do the 1/4 in 8 seconds (not sure if they are under that yet). THis was unheard of. But even for a drag racer, it just looks odd, weird, in comparison to a RWD drag car.

We are discovering the limits of power for FWD cars now. Caddy had 300hp FWD cars and switched to RWD. Pontiac does have the 300hp Grand Prix. Acuras TL and Nissans Altima/Maxima show the limits of FWD. Either they have to switch to AWD/RWD or any extra power gains will just result in torque steer.

And I didn't mean to come across I don't appreciate fast FWD cars at all. But to me, at a point, its time to switch to the proper setup.

Quick Reply: New Rice trend is drifting