Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Rice trend is drifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-05, 12:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well on that guy's defense, that's pretty good driving. though not much point in doing it i guess

and those fwd cars with staggered wheel setup? what a joke.... those people need to get a life period.... remember the old story with the guy with the acura tl putting staggered setup on his car? how sad
Old 05-31-05, 06:27 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May I ask whats wrong with the TL having those wheels? I mean if they fit properly and they don't stick out like roller skates whats the big deal...
Old 05-31-05, 08:19 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

just chiming in with a little info that i read on another car forum...

the term "rice" or "rice burner" originated back in the 70's when people driving around in muscle cars first began to see japanese import cars on the streets... they called it "rice" relating to the fact that the japanese ate rice and thus the term "rice" or "rice burner" was created...

so if we look back into history of the word "rice", we technically all drive ricers... Lexus = Japanese...

somehow, the term rice lost its original meaning and now symbolizes people who modify a car (doesn't matter asian make or not) into something that is too flashy or just simply does not seem or look right...

that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread so sorry

about the video... the dude can pull the handbrake well and slide is car well... but it is not drifting...
is it rice? - no...
is it stupid?- yes....

just my 2 cents..
Old 05-31-05, 09:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Milla...
May I ask whats wrong with the TL having those wheels? I mean if they fit properly and they don't stick out like roller skates whats the big deal...
coz' the tl is a fwd car and there is absolutely NO point in making it staggered setup.
Old 05-31-05, 10:20 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
coz' the tl is a fwd car and there is absolutely NO point in making it staggered setup.
I would not exactly say there is NO point. Although I would not do it personally, I don't see a problem with these guys trying to add to the aesthetics of the car. Yes, staggered wheels do not have the same power functional aspects on FWD cars as RWD cars, but what's wrong with trying to get the wheels flushed with the fenders.

When we try to get our wheels aggressive and flushed with our fenders, I think for most, it is purely an aesthetic aspect. More rubber to the ground is a second priority. For those that try to squeeze out all the rubber possible by shaving, rolling, camber adjustments, or a combination of these, I doubt that they are thinking that the extra 5-10mm will benefit power vs the looks aspects.

Of course, the FWD modders can achieve fender-flushness by playing with the offsets but having wider tires just makes the car meaner. We add plenty of aesthetic mods that serve no functional purpose (spoilers, grilles, kits, exhaust tips, ...). I don't see staggered rims on FWD cars as such a cardinal sin.
Old 05-31-05, 11:40 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by Neo
I would not exactly say there is NO point. Although I would not do it personally, I don't see a problem with these guys trying to add to the aesthetics of the car. Yes, staggered wheels do not have the same power functional aspects on FWD cars as RWD cars, but what's wrong with trying to get the wheels flushed with the fenders.

When we try to get our wheels aggressive and flushed with our fenders, I think for most, it is purely an aesthetic aspect. More rubber to the ground is a second priority. For those that try to squeeze out all the rubber possible by shaving, rolling, camber adjustments, or a combination of these, I doubt that they are thinking that the extra 5-10mm will benefit power vs the looks aspects.

Of course, the FWD modders can achieve fender-flushness by playing with the offsets but having wider tires just makes the car meaner. We add plenty of aesthetic mods that serve no functional purpose (spoilers, grilles, kits, exhaust tips, ...). I don't see staggered rims on FWD cars as such a cardinal sin.

My point exactly, technically half the stuff on most peoples cars from the way I see it have no point being on a it. Its all in what the owner feels look good on his/ her car not so much of what is best for the car, but what looks best or whatever it takes for the owner to get the most enjoyment out their vehicle otherwise an all stock car shouldn't be touched, and should remain moddless from the way I see it.
To me its a harmless preference like crome and machine finished, some will argue that crome is heavy and have no business on a sport sedan, to those people I say take a chill pill and go hop in your car and go for a ride and let the wind hit your face and enjoy life.
Old 05-31-05, 12:07 PM
LexFather

Guys, so then it would be okay, to get a wider front wheel on a RWD car, to make it fit "flush" with the car and who cares what people think?

Staggered setups is old tech, used from racing. More power to the rear wheels of sports cars meant more rubber was needed to put on the pavement. That is the whole purpose. On many high performance cars today, they have OEM staggered setups, they just are flat face wheels with no lip, or they are concave in apperance.

I agree, lips look GREAT, clearly I had them, tons of people have them. I love how it looks but to put a staggered on my FWD ES is just GHEY, period. Yeah it looks great, it also screams WANNABE.

Just b/c something looks good doesn't mean to do it. Air Jordans are $150 sneakers, as much as a solid pair of shoes, I won't wear Jordans with a suit b/c they cost the same and I like it.

Chrome is different, some may not like it but that is pure looks. With a staggered on a FWD car, your doing something that RWD cars do FOR A REASON, except you don't have a reason.

It's like getting a tear drop tattoo on your face when you didn't KILL anyone. Your faking, perpurtrating. That guy that did kill someone with the tear tattoo will KNOW you couldn't slap someone, let alone kill someone.

When you have your FWD car pull up to that M3 at the light, the driver is going to look like WTF

Sigh, where is Manaray

Old 05-31-05, 12:33 PM
Milla...

I totally see the point here as to how one would look to an enthusiast, the same way some american hot rodders look at those who modd imports.
But because everyone has a right to do what they wish to their cars none of it matters anyway so who cares...
Old 05-31-05, 12:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

My point exactly, technically half the stuff on most peoples cars from the way I see it have no point being on a it. Its all in what the owner feels look good on his/ her car not so much of what is best for the car, but what looks best or whatever it takes for the owner to get the most enjoyment out their vehicle otherwise an all stock car shouldn't be touched, and should remain moddless from the way I see it.
To me its a harmless preference like crome and machine finished, some will argue that crome is heavy and have no business on a sport sedan, to those people I say take a chill pill and go hop in your car and go for a ride and let the wind hit your face and enjoy life.
i can totally understand what you and neo means, and i can't argue, coz' that pretty much says that everyone modding their cars are all cool, coz' it's all personal preference after all, period. yes that's true, and i will respect that, i will not get a hammer out and start hammer down the car, but that still doesn't take away the fact that it's "stupid" (at least to me) since he's defeating the meaning behind staggered setup. if we talk about this particular example, the way i see, staggered setup is for performance on rwd or awd cars, and just that. flush with fenders, etc.... those are just secondary by-products or "extras" that someone can hope for.

now in general, that pretty much means that those people with altezza taillights on their civic, all cool. those cars in japan where they have 7 ft high wings and 3 ft long diffusor in the front, no problem. yes it's their taste, but then we see a lot of people calling those fugly and stupid. are we on the same page here?

my bottom line. what they do to their cars? cool with me, it's their car and their money, none of my business. just like me, i got body kits on my cars and some people (even my friends) think it's stupid, pointless. hell yeah i understand them. BUT that doesn't mean everything is cool and i can't say they are stupid. when i see fwd cars with staggered wheels? i will still call it stupid. when i see civic with altezzas? i call them stupid. they put up their car on the road and they are asking people to talk about it. i put my cars on the road and i am ready to have people call my car rice for all i care too
Old 05-31-05, 12:59 PM
LexFather

I totally see the point here as to how one would look to an enthusiast, the same way some american hot rodders look at those who modd imports.
But because everyone has a right to do what they wish to their cars none of it matters anyway so who cares...

My bad, I get nutty sometimes.

Old 05-31-05, 01:01 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think staggereds on FWD are useless and stupid. But to most people who don't know it's fwd, they may think it looks like an improvement.

at the same time-many people who look at our GSes probably think they are FWD. heck, I'll admit, I didn't know GS where RWD until I became interested in them a few yrs ago. So does that mean that people who think our cars are fwd, think they look stupid w/staggered setup?

now would I laugh if I see an Accord or Altima with staggered wheels, you bet
Old 05-31-05, 01:01 PM
Milla...

Hey and so do I 1SICK
Old 05-31-05, 01:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

and in that note, i just want to point out that i am always against cars, never the people behind the wheel. there is a guy on another board, he posts pics of his car and everyone thinks it's bad, very ricey and what not. however this guy takes it very well, he agrees that his car is not for everyone, he respects everyone's opinions very nicely, thanks everyone, and he even helps out a lot when people ask questions. i have tremendous amount of respect for this guy

so to me, you just have to take all comments as is, since you put your car out for people to see. that means they can talk.
Old 05-31-05, 01:05 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Koma
I'd do it if I had a little crap box to burn out.
I don't think he liked his car too much. You could hear him over revving. You could see how badly he was killing those tires. And he doesn't have ghetto body mods. So I believe this guy was out to have some fun with a little powerful Civic. He probably owns something much nicer because he can drive well.
I think he's trying to kill the car while selling the DVDs about his 'drifting' to make a few bucks and buy a real car =D
Old 05-31-05, 01:08 PM
Milla...

Originally Posted by xravexboix
I think he's trying to kill the car while selling the DVDs about his 'drifting' to make a few bucks and buy a real car =D

Huh?? ohhhh yeah the drifting civic oh my this topic did kinda go into left field didn't it. I'm sorry.

Quick Reply: New Rice trend is drifting