Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Target: Left Lane Hogs - Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-05, 07:02 PM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they need to pass this law in nyc. one of my friends got a ticket in jersey a few years ago for this. cop was tailing him in the left lane and he was going the limit and got a ticket
Old 05-30-05, 07:59 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

well Gov. Bush killed this a few days ago saying that it would prepetuate agressive and excessive speeding. he said something about not wanting to punish those not breaking the law. Makes sense, but i still think this was a good idea...
Old 05-30-05, 10:48 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stage3
well Gov. Bush killed this a few days ago saying that it would prepetuate agressive and excessive speeding. he said something about not wanting to punish those not breaking the law. Makes sense, but i still think this was a good idea...
i think he was playing to the old people vote in FL...

FL has way way way too many old people
Old 05-31-05, 03:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
people who drive way too fast in the left lane and expect you to hurry over before they plow into you bother me. There have been a few occasions where I am in the passing lane behind another car that is passing people on the right and some ***hole comes flying up grossly going over the speed limit and then gets right on your bumper.
I'm with Udel 100% on this one. No matter what the speed limit is, the left lane is not an excuse for gross speeding or aggressive driving.
I think that this is what Jeb Bush was looking at when he vetoed the FL bill....and if it was then he is correct.
Old 05-31-05, 04:29 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3

I cant believe this, you guys (The ones from out of state) cant believe how big of a problem this is in florida. We have people who think they are earning money by hogging the left lane. They slow down, causing traffic to back up for miles and miles (cough I-4 cough) all because they are on a cell phone, or eating.

It really pisses me off how 18wheels, people pulling thier boats hog the left lane like that

When I went up north, I noticed signs posted "Left Lane is for passing Only". Or something of that nature.
Old 05-31-05, 04:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I cant believe this, you guys (The ones from out of state) cant believe how big of a problem this is in florida. We have people who think they are earning money by hogging the left lane. They slow down, causing traffic to back up for miles and miles (cough I-4 cough) all because they are on a cell phone, or eating.

I agree, but it depends on how much they are slowing down and what the speed limit is.
If they are doing 55 in the left lane with a 55 speed limit, fine. That's one thing. But...If they are doing 55 in the left lane with a 75 limit, that's quite another matter...I agree, they need to get the hell out of the way....at least if good driving conditions allow a 75 cruising speed.
Old 05-31-05, 05:46 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed. Going THE speed limit in the left lane is one thing. Going BELOW the limit is quite another matter. One is at least legally acceptable...the other is not.

No one belongs on the left lane unless youre passing. If youre going to speed limit on the left lane 999 out of 1000 you are on the wrong. I personally use the left lane alot, then again. I also pass a lot.
Old 05-31-05, 05:53 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

I agree with ticketing people who hang in the left lane and go below the speed limit causing heavy traffic and you should move over to let faster traffic by but people who drive way too fast in the left lane and expect you to hurry over before they plow into you bother me. There have been a few occasions where I am in the passing lane behind another car that is passing people on the right and some ***hole comes flying up grossly going over the speed limit and then gets right on your bumper. I usaully slam my brakes on to drivers like this and if they stay on my tail too long I'll speed up when they try to pass so they can't. I generally am calm on the road but aggresive drivers like that really **** me off. A few months ago I was going over 80 in the passing lane a safe distance from the car ahead of me on a highway posted 70mph when a jerk comes flying up that I saw from a ways back and had to of been doing 95-100 possibly over and gets right on my tail. Nobody needs to be in that much of a hurry to get somewhere that fast unless they are an ambulance or the police responding to an emergency.

In Alabama alot of people love their giant SUVs and Pickups and people are always causing traffic and getting into accidents talking on thier cell phones and eating in these vehicles. I have never seen so many people that just pull out in front of you and expect you to slam your brakes on while they leisurely accelerate in their Tahoes, Suburbans, F250s, Navigators, Excursions etc so they can conserve as much gas as they can from their gas guzzlers. Their are also these breaks in the highway that people use to make u turns instead of going to a traffic light and you get a couple cars piled side to side at these breaks where no one can see oncoming traffic and they jump out and get into accidents.

Some of the most chaotic driving I have seen was when I lived on a army base in Seoul South Korea. There would be two lane highways that people would turn into 4 and 5 lane highways. We almost got into accidents every time we drove and no matter what you or they did nobody really got mad at anybody. If you honked at someone for cutting you off they would just wave like they were sorry and it was too comical to get mad. I don't think I ever heard of any incidents of road rage there because people are not as agitated and agressive as many in the U.S. I heard Italy has some of the most aggresive drivers and a very high death rate for accidents. I have heard in Italy they will usaully drive 30-45 mph over what most people consider a reasonable speed to be traveling.

youre on the wrong the faster car on the passing lane has the right of way REGARDLESS of whether he is breaking the law or not. ALthough its unwise to travel that fast you are making the situation expontentially much dangerous by brake checking him.

He is in the wrong by tailgating you. And by severely braking the speed but 2 wrongs do not make a right. And the accelarating to deny the pass.. Well there is only one reason you do that, that is if YOU know that the ****er will cut you off and take your front end if you keep at same speed. If his right lane is clear there is no reason to do that.
Old 05-31-05, 06:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Inabj2
youre on the wrong the faster car on the passing lane has the right of way REGARDLESS of whether he is breaking the law or not. .
This is not Europe. That arguement will not hold up in an American court if you get a speeding ticket. You may WANT it to hold up, but it will not. The judge, in most cases, is going to ask what the posted limit is...not what you happen to think it SHOULD be. He (or she) may let you off with a warning or by cutting the fine if it is the first offense, but if you make a habit of it that will be a different story.

And...to repeat something I said earlier....that is why Jeb Bush vetoed the FL bill.

Now....don't get me wrong. That DOESN'T mean that I am defending the 55 limit everywhere. As I said earlier, there are some places, especially out West, where you can safely cruise a lot faster than 55 all day...and to some extent the higher speed limits there recognize this.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-31-05 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-31-05, 07:56 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Blackened blacktop . . . cajun style!

Some folks think they don't do much right in Acadiana (me, I love the people and the food - ahhheeeee!), but Interstate traffic control they got smack on the head. First, in Southwest Louisiana, as in the rest of the state, they have strict lane discipline. The left lane is for passing ONLY. Second, this rule is heavily enforced. The result often involves a little bobbing and weaving when travelling at or slightly over the speed limit (also heavily enforced), but you are seldom blocked except in the heaviest traffic. The only people you see driving in the left lane are tourists who haven't participated in Louisiana's state revenue enhancement program . . . yet.

First among unintended consequences: on I-10, from the Sabine River to Baton Rouge, many sections of the right lane are badly deteriorated by the heavy truck traffic. It usually has to get to the point its undrivable before they will repair it. The left lane is almost always smooth. Obey the speed limits and take a beating, or drive just fast enough to spend most of your time in the passing lane - your choice. A growing number of us speed . . . a little - at least where the road is badly worn. ??? At least the state troopers seem to understand. They spend more time than the rest of us out there.

Last edited by Lil4X; 05-31-05 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-31-05, 11:56 AM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

I agree with ticketing people who hang in the left lane and go below the speed limit causing heavy traffic and you should move over to let faster traffic by but people who drive way too fast in the left lane and expect you to hurry over before they plow into you bother me. There have been a few occasions where I am in the passing lane behind another car that is passing people on the right and some ***hole comes flying up grossly going over the speed limit and then gets right on your bumper. I usaully slam my brakes on to drivers like this and if they stay on my tail too long I'll speed up when they try to pass so they can't. I generally am calm on the road but aggresive drivers like that really **** me off. A few months ago I was going over 80 in the passing lane a safe distance from the car ahead of me on a highway posted 70mph when a jerk comes flying up that I saw from a ways back and had to of been doing 95-100 possibly over and gets right on my tail. Nobody needs to be in that much of a hurry to get somewhere that fast unless they are an ambulance or the police responding to an emergency.
Sorry, but I don't agree with you there. If he's going that fast, it's better to get out of the way than be a bigger a**hole and create an even more dangerous situation. Leave the enforcing of traffic laws to the police.

Some of the most chaotic driving I have seen was when I lived on a army base in Seoul South Korea. There would be two lane highways that people would turn into 4 and 5 lane highways. We almost got into accidents every time we drove and no matter what you or they did nobody really got mad at anybody. If you honked at someone for cutting you off they would just wave like they were sorry and it was too comical to get mad. I don't think I ever heard of any incidents of road rage there because people are not as agitated and agressive as many in the U.S. I heard Italy has some of the most aggresive drivers and a very high death rate for accidents. I have heard in Italy they will usaully drive 30-45 mph over what most people consider a reasonable speed to be traveling.
Italy is scary, especially if you're a pedestrian. Driving in China would make me go insane. I haven't figured out the traffic laws in China; best I can guess is that might makes right when it comes to right of way.
Old 05-31-05, 05:32 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I am not in the wrong by using the passing lane to pass slower right hand traffic and not hurrying over to the right lane and having to slow down for the traffic I was passing because some ***hole is going way over the speed limit and is going to ride my tail creating a dangerous situation even though they can clearly see there is someone ahead of me that is passing slower traffic and I am courteous enough not to ride his tail. The person grossly exceeding the speed limit is driving reckless and does not belong in any lane. I am brake checking the person because he is creating a dangerous situation and it is bothering me for him to be riding my tail and I want him to get off my tail. I know several cops and they generally accept people slightly going over the speed limit to keep up with the flow of traffic and people in the passing lane on highways going anywhere from 10-15mph over for short peroids of time. Not all cops will accept this and there is a good chance you will get a ticket by many cops for going 15mph or over the limit on a major highway. They do not allow people to tailgate or grossly exceed the speed limit.

People who fly in the passing lane grossly exceeding the speed limit and have the excuse I was in the passing lane which is the reason I was going so fast and riding someones tail is not going to hold up in court and to a police officer. Even when I am passing in the passing lane and get behind someone who is going slower then I was I do not ride that persons tail and do a bunch of ignorant things like put the brights on or lay on the horn. If someone is being a jerk and just hanging out in the left lane going below the speed limit or below the flow of traffic while eating or talking on their cell phones then it is better to just pass them instead of riding their tail.
Old 05-31-05, 06:10 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In this hick state you have people who will pass you with there old trucks then when you want to pass someone, they slow down and stay beside the other person. It's rediculous. Makes me want to take a bigger POS and run the over. Maybe if I had a bigger vehicle they would move.
Old 05-31-05, 06:34 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This is not Europe. That arguement will not hold up in an American court if you get a speeding ticket. You may WANT it to hold up, but it will not. The judge, in most cases, is going to ask what the posted limit is...not what you happen to think it SHOULD be. He (or she) may let you off with a warning or by cutting the fine if it is the first offense, but if you make a habit of it that will be a different story.

And...to repeat something I said earlier....that is why Jeb Bush vetoed the FL bill.

Now....don't get me wrong. That DOESN'T mean that I am defending the 55 limit everywhere. As I said earlier, there are some places, especially out West, where you can safely cruise a lot faster than 55 all day...and to some extent the higher speed limits there recognize this.
It doesnt matter where I am. Thats really a universal safety rule the faster car has the right of way Regardless, no civillian vehicle has any authority or proper training to enforce the speed limit and is wreckless to do so by ways described by some members here. When a left lane hoager is in front of me though I flash my lights from a safe distance rather then tailgate them however.. If anyone is cruising the left lane at the speed limit theyre most likely hogging the left lane and impeding traffic (unless passing someone under the speed limit.). Generally speaking I travel about 5 -10 mph faster then the speed limit, ie with the flow of traffic, at this speed it is justified to pass those that travel at exactly the speed limit. And very very few officers would pull me over for this speed.
Old 05-31-05, 06:40 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

I am not in the wrong by using the passing lane to pass slower right hand traffic and not hurrying over to the right lane and having to slow down for the traffic I was passing because some ***hole is going way over the speed limit and is going to ride my tail creating a dangerous situation even though they can clearly see there is someone ahead of me that is passing slower traffic and I am courteous enough not to ride his tail. The person grossly exceeding the speed limit is driving reckless and does not belong in any lane. I am brake checking the person because he is creating a dangerous situation and it is bothering me for him to be riding my tail and I want him to get off my tail. I know several cops and they generally accept people slightly going over the speed limit to keep up with the flow of traffic and people in the passing lane on highways going anywhere from 10-15mph over for short peroids of time. Not all cops will accept this and there is a good chance you will get a ticket by many cops for going 15mph or over the limit on a major highway. They do not allow people to tailgate or grossly exceed the speed limit.

People who fly in the passing lane grossly exceeding the speed limit and have the excuse I was in the passing lane which is the reason I was going so fast and riding someones tail is not going to hold up in court and to a police officer. Even when I am passing in the passing lane and get behind someone who is going slower then I was I do not ride that persons tail and do a bunch of ignorant things like put the brights on or lay on the horn. If someone is being a jerk and just hanging out in the left lane going below the speed limit or below the flow of traffic while eating or talking on their cell phones then it is better to just pass them instead of riding their tail.
I agree their idiots, but I still fail to see how risking a potential chain accident at highway speeds is a solution. If there is no room for me to move up I ussually show them that there are cars in front of me. That ussually works 9 out of 10. If an *** is on my tail and I have room to move. I preffer to show who has the faster car and (if i do.) then move some ways to the right. Even that will come down the stupid agressive driver. Last thing I want to do is create a situation where people will lock up.

Quick Reply: Target: Left Lane Hogs - Finally!