Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Target: Left Lane Hogs - Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-05, 08:32 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Target: Left Lane Hogs - Finally!

http://www.aol.com/autos/article/8.adp

Target: Left Lane Hogs - Finally!
by Eric Peters

Some good news: Left lane hogs are finally getting the attention they deserve from traffic cops -- and traffic laws.

In at least two states -- Colorado and Florida -- cops are beginning to target drivers who squat in the far left lane and refuse to move right to let faster-moving traffic get by. For decades, these drivers have been allowed to create rolling roadblocks and interrupt the smooth (and therfore safe) flow of traffic with virtual impunity because "faiure to yield" laws were either not on the books -- or not enforced. And twenty-plus years of dumbed-down, politicized "driver's education" and "safety" campaigns had effectively propagandized the populace into believing their was only one cardinal sin -- "speeding."

And so the focus of traffic "safety" enforcement was speed limit laws -- which of course were often ridiculous (the best example being the 55-mph National Maximum Speed Limit that Congress finally repealed in 1995.) But these under-posted, artificially low speed limits were found to be very useful in terms of generating an unforseen flow of easy money for state and local governments -- which soon became addicted. And it was so much easier for traffic cops to simply shoot fish in a barrel with their radar guns -- because almost every car on the road was going faster than the absurdly low posted limits.

Much easier than actually looking for dangerous drivers, anyhow.

This is finally changing, though.

In Colorado, state police have written more than 500 tickets to left lane hogs since the beginning of the year.

Twenty years ago, this would have been an unthinkable violation of the politically correct orthodoxy that only "speed kills" -- and therefore only enforcing speed limits (no matter how absurd or contrived) matters.

But in fact, people who refuse to move right represent a major traffic safety hazard -- whether "they are doing the speed limit" (as they often bleat in self-righteous high dudgeon) or not.

By refusing to allow other motorists to get by, the left lane dawdler causes traffic to back up unnaturally; drivers then angrily jockey for position -- and typically are forced into making a passing attempt in the right lane to get around the hog -- who seems to get some sort of weird passive-aggressive satisfaction from his obstinancy.

The situation is frustrating, distracting -- and very unsafe. In fact, the lack of reflexive lane courtesy in this country is arguably the biggest single safety problem we have -- not "speeding."

Consider the example of Germany -- where yielding to faster-moving traffic is part of the national culture and adhered to religiously. As a result, it is possible for the Germans to have unlimited speed Autobahns -- where drivers in the left lane often overtake other cars at tripe digit speeds. But because German drivers are taught to use their mirrors -- and immediately move right to allow faster-moving approaching cars to pass -- they have a lower accident and fatality rate than we do here in the United States with our dumbed-down speed limits.

It will take time for the facts about the danger of left lane hogging to sink into the general consciousness -- the consequence of 20-plus years of neglect and outright disinformation peddled by know-nothing "safety" advocates.

But, at last, things are beginning to change for the better.
Old 05-30-05, 08:34 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

I'm all for it
Old 05-30-05, 08:43 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

This is one thing that just burns me up when travelling on the Highways. Its very dangerous like stated above, and personally I think its not courtious to travel at slow speeds in the fast lane. People just pile up behind one another(tailgate) in the left lane and if one person hits the brakes it could cause an accident. Ive noticed this yesterday while travelling to Silver Springs, MD on I-95. There was a slow moving car in the left lane with 6 cars following it, while both the middle lane and right lane were wide open for about 2000 feet. Its like they all had tunnel vision. Pickup trucks towing boats, in the left lane, even 18 wheelers in the left lane are all some examples that simply upset me.

There have been countless times that I have seen a driver cut people off badly just to get into the left lane and cruise at or around 55. These same people ignore the friendly flash to pass and are oblivious to the other more volatile drivers going around them on the right at full throttle (if they can). Can you say "Road Rage"??

Last edited by magneto112; 05-30-05 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-30-05, 09:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, some things about speed are propaganda and some are not. Yes, there are some places where you can safely cruise faster than 55-65, but it is a scientific fact that all other things being equal, the faster the speed, the longer the stopping distance will be, ABS or not, and the greater the physical impact force will be in an collision and the greater the potential for damage and injury will be. That is not "political correctness" or "progaganda". That is a fact.
So while there ARE places where you can safely cruise at 75 and up....mostly out West on interstates where there is a lack of congestion...there are also many places where a lower limit...and an enforced one at that...... is pretty much a necessity.
It is also interesting that the highest death rates PER MILE driven are generally in the West...with high or unenforced speed limits. New Mexico, especially, has led the country a number of times in fatailties per vehicle-mile

The truth is that BOTH sides have a strong case here, and it is very difficult for police and local and state governments sometimes to reach a good compromise. While speeding tickets DO bring in revenue, it also costs more in police work to get them....and policemen make good money and benefits, ( and Police-spec Crown Vics get pretty lousy mileage too). There aren't many jobs where you can retire in only 20 years....... so it costs the state a pretty good amount to GET those tickets. Even cameras cost good money to install and operate.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-30-05 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-30-05, 10:11 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is worse when you get into a situation where there are 3 of these guys taking up 3 lanes in a staggered position where you cannot even go around.

It is rare but I've gotten stuck multiple times like this.
Old 05-30-05, 10:49 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the moms with 4 screaming kids in their minivan or SUV who are not paying attention to the road are the ones that kill me. Strap those brats in and watch the road already!!

Some people clearly do not understand the concept of a PASSING lane.
Old 05-30-05, 11:30 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

laws like that will never pass...

thanks to the geriatrics of the AARP...

makes me not like old people lol
Old 05-30-05, 12:27 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a big problem in my area and glad they are going to do something about it. I dont speed too much but there are people here who get in the far left lane and go 10 miles below the speed limit That is just as liable to cause an accident as someone speeding, and they are usually geriatrics.
Old 05-30-05, 12:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
This is a big problem in my area and glad they are going to do something about it. I dont speed too much but there are people here who get in the far left lane and go 10 miles below the speed limit That is just as liable to cause an accident as someone speeding, and they are usually geriatrics.
Agreed. Going THE speed limit in the left lane is one thing. Going BELOW the limit is quite another matter. One is at least legally acceptable...the other is not.
Old 05-30-05, 12:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I'm all for it
I agree. I think we should also have them biatch slapped on the spot.

Glad to hear this, these ******** need to go. Heck when you see drivers coming fast behind you, you are SUPPOSED to go to the right.

A lot of it is people are so busy on the phone/t.v eating, etc etc, they are not even looking in their rearview mirrors.

Old 05-30-05, 01:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I
A lot of it is people are so busy on the phone/t.v eating, etc etc, they are not even looking in their rearview mirrors.
So they're starting do do that on the Atlanta Beltway? They've been doing that on the DC Beltway for years. I've seen girls drying their hair, guys reading the newspaper, eating everything from Big Macs to French fries and ice cream cones to people using hand-held computers (probably to check stocks), and of course, every other driver on a cell phone. While we may not all agree 100% on the role of speed in accidents, IMO this kind of nonsense is WORSE than speed alone.
Old 05-30-05, 01:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So they're starting do do that on the Atlanta Beltway? They've been doing that on the DC Beltway for years. I've seen girls drying their hair, guys reading the newspaper, eating everything from Big Macs to French fries and ice cream cones to people using hand-held computers (probably to check stocks), and of course, every other driver on a cell phone. While we may not all agree 100% on the role of speed in accidents, IMO this kind of nonsense is WORSE than speed alone.
Dude its horrible here.
1. You can't see a thing. Even with the supposed restriction of 18 wheelers inside the 285 perimeter, between the 18 wheelers, Tahoes, Escalades, etc etc, in 10 years, it went from pleasant to absolute crap. Its literally hard to see around you, which is unsafe.
2. Atlanta has some of the worst AND mixed with aggresive drivers I've seen, though my driving in other cities has been limited. People for no reason, just come from the entrance ramp and just go to the fast lane, without a damn thought. People do not merge with speed, they just merge and hope you brake up behind them.
3. People camp out in the 2 left lanes. Its PATHETIC. No joke, the best lanes are ALWAYS the 2 right ones. There are less people there and they go FASTER than the idots in the fast lane.
4. Cell phone/eating/makeup/reading etc etc. Its nuts. You look around and if you DO SEE a car, the person is not driving but doing something else.

With even average cars now having 200hp and with less manuals sold and more cup holders in cars and more space in cars for room and the marketing blitz that EVERY car/SUV is somehow sporty, its just a HORRIBLE mix.

Old 05-30-05, 02:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Dude its horrible here.
OK......I'll take your word for it, Mike....you apparantly see it everyday, now.

Makes me glad (and I hope you too) we don't have to drive in L.A......with twice the traffic even we have in DC-Baltimore.

I haven't been everywhere, but I think the best overall driving by the bulk of the population I ever saw was in Central Texas when I lived in Austin years ago. You rarely saw any really stupid or aggressive stuff, except a little here and there from the high school kids around the school zone...and even then it was tame compared to the animal atmosphere at the high school I graduated from in Northern Virginia. Cincinatti, OH....where my late mother's family comes from....also strikes me as a rather tame and sensible area.
Old 05-30-05, 06:22 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I agree with ticketing people who hang in the left lane and go below the speed limit causing heavy traffic and you should move over to let faster traffic by but people who drive way too fast in the left lane and expect you to hurry over before they plow into you bother me. There have been a few occasions where I am in the passing lane behind another car that is passing people on the right and some ***hole comes flying up grossly going over the speed limit and then gets right on your bumper. I usaully slam my brakes on to drivers like this and if they stay on my tail too long I'll speed up when they try to pass so they can't. I generally am calm on the road but aggresive drivers like that really **** me off. A few months ago I was going over 80 in the passing lane a safe distance from the car ahead of me on a highway posted 70mph when a jerk comes flying up that I saw from a ways back and had to of been doing 95-100 possibly over and gets right on my tail. Nobody needs to be in that much of a hurry to get somewhere that fast unless they are an ambulance or the police responding to an emergency.

In Alabama alot of people love their giant SUVs and Pickups and people are always causing traffic and getting into accidents talking on thier cell phones and eating in these vehicles. I have never seen so many people that just pull out in front of you and expect you to slam your brakes on while they leisurely accelerate in their Tahoes, Suburbans, F250s, Navigators, Excursions etc so they can conserve as much gas as they can from their gas guzzlers. Their are also these breaks in the highway that people use to make u turns instead of going to a traffic light and you get a couple cars piled side to side at these breaks where no one can see oncoming traffic and they jump out and get into accidents.

Some of the most chaotic driving I have seen was when I lived on a army base in Seoul South Korea. There would be two lane highways that people would turn into 4 and 5 lane highways. We almost got into accidents every time we drove and no matter what you or they did nobody really got mad at anybody. If you honked at someone for cutting you off they would just wave like they were sorry and it was too comical to get mad. I don't think I ever heard of any incidents of road rage there because people are not as agitated and agressive as many in the U.S. I heard Italy has some of the most aggresive drivers and a very high death rate for accidents. I have heard in Italy they will usaully drive 30-45 mph over what most people consider a reasonable speed to be traveling.

Last edited by UDel; 05-30-05 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-30-05, 06:45 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm all for that also. I absolutally hate it when you have someone in the left lane who just drives at the same speed as the car beside them. And when they finally speed up and you try to go around they will go fast so you can't pass. That is a real pain in the @ss right there man. Especially on two-lane roads.

Quick Reply: Target: Left Lane Hogs - Finally!