Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

June CAR, #1. New engine BMW 530, #2 Lexus GS 300, #3 Mercedes Benz CLS 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-05, 02:34 PM
LexFather

Default June CAR, #1. New engine BMW 530, #2 Lexus GS 300, #3 Mercedes Benz CLS 350

Well the GS did fairly well in this small 3 car comparo. The summary is the Benz is sharper than the E-class but not as well built as the Lexus and not as fun as the BMW.

The Lexus is basically the car to buy, it fantasticlly well built and a rewarding drive. The 5 is just more rewarding.

About the GS, the reviewer didn't like the styling and called it bland . But this is what happened during the review.
1. A Bentley Continental GT drives by than stops and reverses. The owner leaps out and rushs to the Japanese car "The new GS? It looks very very good!" Not bad that a new Bentley owner in teh U.K recognizes the car, that speaks VOLUMES.
2. The reviewer admits out the 3 cars the LEXUS is getting the most attention.
3. Another person stops buy and says he owned a 1LS but it wasn't the styling that won him over but the meticulous engineering and the way it felt as though it could clock up jumbo jet mileage.
3. An IS 200 owner says "its shaped like a coupe, not a four door".

The reviewer says "the quality is ASTONISHING". You simply cannot buy a new car that feels better bolted together. The back seat though you can't fit your feet under the seats. Head and shoulder room is good.

"The new model is a step forward over the older model with driving dynamics. The steering has decent feel particularly off centre, where it weights up progressively. The damping is a little softer than the BMW but no less controlled and the chassis is agile, although it vibrates slightly at speed. The GS V6 is the least powerful and reflected in the 0-602 time (7.2 seconds). It has superb mechanical refinement that neither of its rivals can match, making it by far the most relaxing drive".

"The new 5 engine is slighly more racous than the GS but it has more character".

Old 06-01-05, 06:44 PM
XZLR8
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was a good comparo. I always enjoy CAR's reviews. Quite honestly, I was pleasantly surprised with how well the GS came out, considering the publication.

In my test-drives, I haven't tried to sit in the back seat on the GS. Is it true that you can't put your feet under the front seats? Does that dramatically hamper rear foot room?

I tell you, with those rims, that CLS (in the article) looked terrible.
Old 06-02-05, 12:06 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by XZLR8
That was a good comparo. I always enjoy CAR's reviews. Quite honestly, I was pleasantly surprised with how well the GS came out, considering the publication.

In my test-drives, I haven't tried to sit in the back seat on the GS. Is it true that you can't put your feet under the front seats? Does that dramatically hamper rear foot room?

I tell you, with those rims, that CLS (in the article) looked terrible.
I agree that those wheels were not in th CLS favor. Its funny, we always see the CLS, 5 series, M45 etc etc with the sport kit and the biggest rims in press pics. When you see pics or of the cars in person with a stock setup, it really gives you a feeling.

Even with the stock 17s, the GS doesn't look as bad. Sadly, being an enthusiast, I am so used to the dropped, big rim look, I expect all cars to look like that, which is unfair.

I LOVE CAR magazine and EVO as well.

Old 06-07-05, 08:16 AM
LexFather

maybe it gets more traffic here

Old 06-07-05, 09:20 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

I love CAR Magazine too! It's great to read about about the 3rd gen GS giving the stalwart german rivals a run for their money! Kudos to Lexus and their superior mechanical refinement!
Old 06-07-05, 05:57 PM
LexFather

JUST 14 MINUTES HAVE PASSED and already l've violated clauses 7.11, 15.12, and 16.3 of the Stoke Park Golf Club's sporting rules. Rules that were established in 1908, before even the world's oldest motor manufacturer. And it's a car wearing the three-pointed star that's currently causing a commotion at the club, along with its two closest rivals.

Brows furrow, smiles turn to frowns, and evil looks shoot in my direction, and eventually, it's explained to me that the stretch of grass I've just parked six tonnes of executive shininess on is in fact the immaculately groomed 18th fairway. I would swear, but section 4.3 prohibits the use of bad language. Time to move on.

Even before my parking faux pas, our presence has created quite a stir at Stoke Park, which sits firmly at the traditional end of golfing spectrum, with a car park full of beige XK8s, silver Merc CLs, and black Saab convertibles. Our cars are all from manufacturers who do good business among the golfing fraternity, but these models are bolder and brasher than the status quo. Our Lexus is the new GS300, our BMW is the 530i with the revised 3.0-litre straight six, and our Mercedes is the audacious new CLS350.

Together they stand out like, well, like a car parked on the 18th fairway. If they appeal to golfers, that shows that golf is being embraced by a younger, more style-conscious crowd.

A Bentley Continental GT bellows past our ensemble in a flash of privacy glass and chrome wheels, then lurches to a halt and swiftly reverses for a better look. The grinning owner leaps out and rushes over to the Japanese car.

"The new GS? It looks very, very good!" Seconds earlier I'd been making disparaging comments about the GS's looks. It's very Lexus and handsome in a squat, chunky way, but it's far from exciting. And yet, it's attracting all the attention. Our new friend says he owned an LS when Lexus first came to the UK, and points out that it wasn't the styling that won him over in 1989. It was the meticulous engineering ("the way Mercedes used to be") and the way it felt as though it could clock up jumbo jet mileages. He doesn't say a word about the BMW and Merc.

Other gofers are, however, more forthcoming with opinions on the German duo. The Mercedes couldn't be less subtle. Finished in bright red metallic paint and fitted with 18-inch wheels, it's the antithesis of the unassuming Lexus. Part coupé, part saloon, part E-class and partly unfathomable, the CLS fits into no distinct segment. It' not as practical as an E-class or indeed a 5-series, which has a bigger boot and five seats, but it's not meant to be. It's aimed at people who would otherwise buy a coupé, not a traditional three box saloon - which, for all its fancy surfacing, is precisely what the 5-series is. It's still beautifully proportioned, particularly with the optional M-Sport bodykit.

It's freezing cold at Stoke Park, so at every break in the photography we take shelter in the cars. Instinctively we all head for the CLS because it looks the biggest, but we soon learn that function has been compromised by form. In the back Carrie, our six-foot model, is struggling. She's not short of legroom but headroom is slightly less generous.

What you lack in terms of packaging you gain in aesthetics and the feeling that you're in something special. The dashboard curves away from you up front, with sections sculpted out to create a feeling of space. It's squishy in all the right places, with tasteful chrome strips dotted around the cabin. The matt wood finish is a little brash; if you'd rather there's and equally imposing aluminium alternative.

It makes the 5-series feel like an MPV. Everyone's struck by how much more spacious the BMW seems, and how much more comfortable front and back, with everything in the right place. The interior design has a little of the exterior's flair, but can't match the Mercedes for drama or, unfortunately, quality.

I'm joined in the Lexus by an inquisitive IS200 owner who's been watching our shoot. The first thing that strikes him is how un-saloon like it feels - "like a coupé, not a four door." it's not the most striking design but it manages the neat trick of appearing roomy and snug at the same time.

The quality is astonishing. You simply cannot buy a new car that feels better bolted together. The intricate lines running along the dashboard mean any quality glitches would be easy to spot. There are none. The subtly damped switchgear and beautifully lit dials are all superbly executed.

It's not perfect though. IN the back you can't fit your feed under the seats in front, so your legs are uncomfortably bunched up - a pity when head and shoulder room are so good.

COMFORT, QUALITY AND IMAGE are all massively important in this world, but there's no reason why this should be at the expense of driving ability. Traditionally, expecting your GS to have pin-sharp dynamics was like expecting your five iron to smell nice - it may do, but it's beside the point. The new model is, however, a substantial step forward. The steering has a decent feel, particularly off centre, where it weights up progressively. The damping is a little softer than the BMW's but no less controlled, and the chassis is agile, although it vibrates slightly at speed. The GS's V6 is the least powerful of these three engines, and that's reflected in its 0-62mph time. On the motorway it's, again, the least rapid, but it has a superb mechanical refinement that neither of its rivals can match, making it by far the most relaxing to drive.

The 5-series is much more familiar - the club's car park is teeming with them - but time hasn't dented its appeal. The new 530i unit is lighter, cleaner and more powerful than the engine it replaces, and comes with a six-speed manual or automatic gearbox. It's slightly more raucous than the 3.0-litre V6 in the GS and the Merc's 3.5-litre V6, but it also has more character.

The rutted roads around Stoke Park highlight the excellence of the BMW's damping, which is firm yet compliant over rough surfaces and keeps the superbly adjustable chassis in check. Turn-in is accompanied by serious bite from the front wheels, and the rear simply tucks in however ham fisted you are with the throttle. Be brutal and you can provoke the tail into progressive, satisfying oversteer but I have a feeling now is neither the time nor the place to prove it. Article 4.2.7 forbids it.

On these lanes and on the M40, the BMW is the best blend of dynamics, packaging and refinement. Not only does it have the best chassis, best damping and most characterful engine, but you can fit five people plus luggage in it. It's fresh and exiting without being an extrovert.

The CLS is the surprise of the test, revealing itself to be a much better driver's car than the E-class. The steering has better feel, although it still suffers from an artificial lightness when off centre, and the chassis can give the Lexus and 5-series a decent fight. Its damping is relatively firm but the CLS never feels as agile on twisty roads as the BMW. One the motorway it's incredibly well resolved. There's barely any wind noise and the superbly controlled body is never unsettled by camber changes and undulations. Where the BMW relies on revs for its punch, the CLS350 is torquier, more refined and more powerful, making it a very swift cruiser in a straight line.

BACK AT STOKE PARK, THE clubhouse is highly exclusive but once you're in everyone's very friendly and relaxed. The rules, fees and traditions ensure that members are aware they're part of an elite. No wonder the CLS goes down so well here, once people have got over the initial shock.

A bold, exciting move by Mercedes, it feels special where the others feel normal. In terms of packaging, dynamics and aesthetics it's a gamble which to a certain extent pays off. It's sharper than the regular E-class and it has the best engine here, but it's not as well built as the Lexus nor as good to drive as the BMW.

You'll buy the Lexus with your sensible head on. it's fantastically well built and rewarding to drive, although the 5-series is better packaged. The GS300 is more refined than the Mercedes, and as a package it's better resolved. But it doesn't feel special enough to win. You can be very choosy when you're spending £40,000, and good though the Lexus is it can't compete with the BMW.

It might not contravene the rules of modern saloons in the way the Mercedes does, or be built to last longer than the clubhouse like the Lexus, but the 5-series is simply the more rounded and ultimately more complete car. It rules.

1st - BMW. Ah, so this is why BMW sticks to saloon shape. Square, boxy, brilliant. Damn.

2nd - Built like a brick you-know-what but, sadly, also with the styling of one.

3rd - Sorry, CLS, but being better than the E-class isn't quite enough in this company.

PICTURE CAPTIONS:

"530 has the firmest damping and sharpest handling. Of course."
"BMW feels light, spacious and empty."
"Big prize of you can find a straight line." [CLS]
"GS's build quality wallops the Germans."
"Don't blame the lens: the CLS really does look very odd. Very odd indeed."
"GS drives a lot better but, incredibly, it's now even blander to look at."
"Lexus is the slowest, BMW the quickest, and the Mercedes has slipped into the lake"

Old 06-07-05, 06:14 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa...thanks for typing the entire article for us, Sick! Very well-written.
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
PICTURE CAPTIONS:
"BMW feels light, spacious and empty."
"Big prize of you can find a straight line." [CLS]
"GS's build quality wallops the Germans."
"Don't blame the lens: the CLS really does look very odd. Very odd indeed."
"Lexus is the slowest, BMW the quickest, and the Mercedes has slipped into the lake"
Gotta love some of the picture captions here. LOL.
Old 06-07-05, 06:16 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Excellent *work* by the GS in this review...beats the very-hyped CLS, and matches or beats the 5-series. The Lexus is no longer just a contender, it's a serious player.
Old 06-07-05, 06:41 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Thanx 1Sick for the comparo, GS doing very well against the Germans especially in a Brit magazine, that's impressive.
Old 11-17-05, 10:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Thanx 1Sick for the comparo, GS doing very well against the Germans especially in a Brit magazine, that's impressive.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...83#post1588483

The GS is 2nd again! This time in Top Gear. Very impressive for this car and what it is up against.

Old 11-17-05, 10:15 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

WOW...good stuff...I see Lexus is finally getting some love in Europe. The GS is definitely a step in the right direction. The design is definitely keeping the European companies on there toes.Reliability nad Quality is always there.