Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Sonata looks very nice

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-05, 07:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,352 Likes on 1,541 Posts

Well, well, that Forbes article said what I said in a whole lot more detail!

Hynundai is coming on strong. For those that think it's junk, remember the price point!

And a lot of Japanese vehicles 30 years ago weren't great, Honda had pathetic problems with rust for example. What happened? They all fixed the problems, for which we're very lucky. And that article shows Hyundai is very serious about being respected and on growing in market clout and share.
Old 06-04-05, 11:09 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Examine its build quality and you just MIGHT mistake it for an Accord.
I'm sue the quality is good......just not a fan of either Hyundai or Honda.
Old 06-04-05, 11:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by glennp1999
Huh?! What the heck are you talking about? I think it's the other way around. Like I said if you peeps want to try this new Hyundai out go for it. It's your money not mine. And if people think that they are getting such a bargain with this car you will soon realize the kind of car you paid for. There is a reason why they extended the warranty. I will give you guys a hint it's not because of customer statisfaction.
As far as us " peeps " are concerned, I know exactly what I am talking about. I have been inspecting and test-driving new cars for some 35 years......probably longer than you have been alive....and have done well over 6000 posts here, much of it on automobile quality and recommendations. I know poor quality when I see it and I know good fit-and-finish when I see it.
As far as buying a Hyundai goes, at the present time they don't make the exact type vehicle I am looking for...something comparable to either the upcoming Lexus IS250 AWD or the new Subaru Legacy / Outback . If they did they would be well up there on my shopping list.
Now...as for the warranty issue, stop and think a minute. If Hyundai quality was STILL so bad, then how they can have such skyrocketing sales and STILL make the money they do? They would be paying out a fortune in warranty costs. They aren't. And why aren't they? Simple...because UNLIKE past years, they are now doing it right. Hyundai's (and partner Kia's) growth in money and sales in the last few years has been nothing short of astronomical...and for a reason. EVERYONE I know of personally who has bought or leased a Hyundai or Kia product in the last 3-4 years or so...from $10,000 Rios and Accents to $26,000 Sedonas and XG-350's...has been WELL satisfied....and has gotten at least a fairly reliable product. Consumer Reports ....like you, one of Hyundai's harshest critics over the years......just ranked the present-generation Sonata as one of the most reliable new vehicles its database.

So....this is a general Car Chat forum and a specific Hyundai thread. It is an open forum and your comments and opinions are welcome............indeed we look for them. I myself (and most of the rest of us) will respect your opinions...... but don't try and tell us that WE don't know what we're talking about.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-04-05 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-04-05, 12:55 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Red face

On no! .......here we go apparently! Calm down guy's.
Old 06-04-05, 12:56 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well excuse the hell out of me Mr. Over 6K post, but that doesn't mean a damn thing. It's amazing how you have reviewed all these cars and still don't know what's good and what's not. Hey I'm glad their marketing department is good and they can convince all these people to buy their product. BUT I'm not talking about sky rocketing sales for Hyundai I'm talking reliability issues. Am I wrong in feeding critizism into this car maker? Well according to you I am I guess this open forum for cars specific for Hyundai thread is not so open after all. If I get under your skin regarding my comments on this issue then so be it. I'm not undermining your intelligence I'm just stating a fact. I'm glad your friends are all satisfied with their Hyundai's. it's unfortunate that you don't have one in your garage so you can tell me even more on how great this car maker is. It's seems to me that your right and that I don't know what I'm talking about. After all I am all but one person who is not convince on getting this car all for more than one reason I might add. This will be my last post on this matter flame me all you want I said my piece. More power to Hyundai and it's future buyers may they achieve greatness with people like you supporting thier product. Peace.
Hey Glen - don't get too fired up! The argumentation on these boards is conducted with all due deference and respect. Differences of opinion and a certain bias are common and acceptable - that's why most of us frequent these boards. By the time we're done posting up whatever facts are available and airing our various opinions, biases and experiences - we all ought to have a better understanding of exactly what's out there on the market.

As for Mmarshall - he generally keeps the pulse of the new (and used) auto market and most of us here respect his opinions if we don't always agree with him.

And we respect yours too; but if you make a contrary claim, then do try and back it up with some objective information.

Enjoy yourself and welcome to the boards.

M.
Old 06-04-05, 01:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, whip. Hyundai really doesn't need me to defend them though. Their new-found customer-satifaction and reliability speaks for itself.

glenp...your comments are as welcome here as anyone else's. All I'm saying is not to be rude and call us CL members "peeps" and tell us we don't know what we are talking about. Some of us devote hours every day to the auto world...not just me but 1SICKLEX, flipside, Amethy, TLW, mooretorque, rominI, and many others. Though we don't always agree, this is a mature forum and we act accordingly. If you have an issue with me or anyone else at CL you can either PM us and discuss it privately or take up with a moderator.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-04-05 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-05-05, 11:02 AM
Spyder187
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I'm glad their marketing department is good and they can convince all these people to buy their product. BUT I'm not talking about sky rocketing sales for Hyundai I'm talking reliability issues. Am I wrong in feeding critizism into this car maker? Well according to you I am I guess this open forum for cars specific for Hyundai thread is not so open after all. If I get under your skin regarding my comments on this issue then so be it. I'm not undermining your intelligence I'm just stating a fact. I'm glad your friends are all satisfied with their Hyundai's. it's unfortunate that you don't have one in your garage so you can tell me even more on how great this car maker is. It's seems to me that your right and that I don't know what I'm talking about. After all I am all but one person who is not convince on getting this car all for more than one reason I might add. This will be my last post on this matter flame me all you want I said my piece. More power to Hyundai and it's future buyers may they achieve greatness with people like you supporting thier product. Peace.
I don't think their advertising has done much for them. In the minds of everyone, they are still a Hyundai and getting past that way of thinking is hard for a lot of people. In respect to their awesome warranty, mmarshall is right in that a car manufacturer can't have unreliable cars and still give super good warranty, better than most if not all the other car makers. This would end up with them losing money more than making it. This wouldn't make sense and Hyundai wouldn't be around for much longer. Sure their cars aren't super luxurious or the fit and finish isn't up there but if their reliability is, it'll save lots of people money in the long run which is what lots of people look for in a car. Something reliable and cheap to maintain. Hyundai has been hitting this especially with their testing of their cars 5 years, maybe less, can't remember, before they are released. Through this testing, they really have rissen their reliability incredibly. A person can't really go wrong with a Hyundai when Hyundai has surpassed the Americans and Europeans in reliability either.
Old 06-05-05, 01:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spyder187
I don't think their advertising has done much for them. In the minds of everyone, they are still a Hyundai and getting past that way of thinking is hard for a lot of people. In respect to their awesome warranty, mmarshall is right in that a car manufacturer can't have unreliable cars and still give super good warranty, better than most if not all the other car makers. This would end up with them losing money more than making it. This wouldn't make sense and Hyundai wouldn't be around for much longer. Sure their cars aren't super luxurious or the fit and finish isn't up there but if their reliability is, it'll save lots of people money in the long run which is what lots of people look for in a car. Something reliable and cheap to maintain. Hyundai has been hitting this especially with their testing of their cars 5 years, maybe less, can't remember, before they are released. Through this testing, they really have rissen their reliability incredibly. A person can't really go wrong with a Hyundai when Hyundai has surpassed the Americans and Europeans in reliability either.
Their fit and finish is now as good as anyone else's...especially for the money. BUT.....their one remaining weakness....and no car company is perfect.........is mediocre powertrain efficiency. Hyundais and Kias....especially with automatics......have IMO a rather sluggish feel, especially in relation to the advertised EPA mileage figures. While their new drivetrains are now smooth, well-built, and refined, they definitely don't yet have the same combination of power and economy that, say, Honda can provide.
Old 06-05-05, 04:00 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, whip. Hyundai really doesn't need me to defend them though. Their new-found customer-satifaction and reliability speaks for itself.

glenp...your comments are as welcome here as anyone else's. All I'm saying is not to be rude and call us CL members "peeps" and tell us we don't know what we are talking about. Some of us devote hours every day to the auto world...not just me but 1SICKLEX, flipside, Amethy, TLW, mooretorque, rominI, and many others. Though we don't always agree, this is a mature forum and we act accordingly. If you have an issue with me or anyone else at CL you can either PM us and discuss it privately or take up with a moderator.
Hey, I spend a pretty good amount of time a day with automobiles
Old 06-05-05, 04:36 PM
LexFather

It's amazing how you have reviewed all these cars and still don't know what's good and what's not. Hey I'm glad their marketing department is good and they can convince all these people to buy their product. BUT I'm not talking about sky rocketing sales for Hyundai I'm talking reliability issues. Am I wrong in feeding critizism into this car maker? Well according to you I am I guess this open forum for cars specific for Hyundai thread is not so open after all. If I get under your skin regarding my comments on this issue then so be it. I'm not undermining your intelligence I'm just stating a fact. I'm glad your friends are all satisfied with their Hyundai's. it's unfortunate that you don't have one in your garage so you can tell me even more on how great this car maker is. It's seems to me that your right and that I don't know what I'm talking about. After all I am all but one person who is not convince on getting this car all for more than one reason I might add. This will be my last post on this matter flame me all you want I said my piece. More power to Hyundai and it's future buyers may they achieve greatness with people like you supporting thier product. Peace.
Sir, please show respect to our members here, your opening sentence is now edited. You have 33 posts here, MMarshall has PROVED time and time again his expertise in the automotive field. He was not telling his background to intimidate you, you he was doing to show he has a BACKGROUND in the field...