Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007/8 Hyundai Tiburon?......Sharkie's Back!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-06 | 07:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The original Tiburon, introduced in 1997, was Hyundai's first attempt to move away from building junk and start getting serious about quality...and ever since, has been, in some ways, Hyundai's show-car for assembly quality. A co-worker of mine bought a red 5-speed and feels it is the best car he has ever owned. In many ways, you can't tell it from a Toyota or Honda, quality-wise. Let's hope the new one remains so...or improves.
Old 06-06-06 | 07:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

A friend came by the house the other day with a rental Sonata. The build quality, refinement and power of the drivetrain and the overall comfort of this vehicle was EXCELLENT. No wonder it sells well.
Old 06-06-06 | 08:01 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

oooooh if that sucker really looks like that....

i just might have to replace me miata...
Old 06-06-06 | 08:48 PM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Though I don't belong to their target demographic, Hyundai has done a lot to impress me lately.
Old 06-06-06 | 09:10 PM
Ichigo
Pole Position

Personally, I will never buy a Hyundai. I also agree with a previous post that the sketch drawing looks awfully similar to the Scion tC. To me, they are a company desperately trying to emulate their japanese counterparts at Toyota and Honda and I just feel that hyundai lacks originality.
Old 06-06-06 | 10:01 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

lest we forget....

Lexus became successful mimicking Mercedez Benz...and offering it at lower prices. -.-

imitation, is the sincerest form of flattery. have we forgotten?
Old 06-07-06 | 12:07 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by whoster
lest we forget....

Lexus became successful mimicking Mercedez Benz...and offering it at lower prices. -.-

I don't think Lexus EVER set out to imitate them. They set out to build a better car, period. And they did, and do.
Old 06-07-06 | 01:44 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The new Supra?
Please dont say disrespectful and rediculous things like that.

Originally Posted by whoster
Mercedes Benz made trash during the early 90's. The LS400 made Mercedes cry and now they're doing whatever they can to catch up. If anything, Mercedes and BMW are trying to match Lexus quality.
Old 06-07-06 | 04:26 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
Please dont say disrespectful and rediculous things like that.

Mercedes Benz made trash during the early 90's. The LS400 made Mercedes cry and now they're doing whatever they can to catch up. If anything, Mercedes and BMW are trying to match Lexus quality.

You sound like a MB owner from 1989!
Old 06-07-06 | 08:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ichigo
Personally, I will never buy a Hyundai. I also agree with a previous post that the sketch drawing looks awfully similar to the Scion tC. To me, they are a company desperately trying to emulate their japanese counterparts at Toyota and Honda and I just feel that hyundai lacks originality.
OK...if you don't like Hyundai's styling, fine...that's a valid reason for not buying one, but you can't really justify anti-Hyundai ( or Kia ) feelings any more on poor quality......that is all in the past.
Old 06-07-06 | 11:35 AM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ichigo
You slam Hyundai for lacking originality and yet you own a Lexus.

So tell me, what's so original about your IS350?
Old 06-07-06 | 01:38 PM
Ichigo
Pole Position

I bought the IS350 primarily because I liked the car and it was a great blend of power and luxury for what I could afford. What about the IS350 is unoriginal? One of its biggest selling points was its unique exterior styling, plush interior, and how well it integrates current technologies.

Honda has brought us the S2000, NSX, Integra, Civic, Accord, etc. Toyota has contributed the Supra, MR2, Prius, Camry, etc. Bottom line is that both companies have produced ground breaking product that has cultivated true brand loyalty. People love their Honda's and Toyota's b/c they trust them and always know what they are getting when purchasing one.

Wheras Hyundai can make no such claim. One day they might, but right now it doesnt. What has Hyundai contributed that is so groundbreaking or unique? Nothing. All they have is a 10yr, 100K warranties to get people to buy. Toyora and Honda dont have to offer that, their customers know their cars are reliable and will last forever. How else do you explain the sheer number of 90's honda and toyota vehicles still around today? Or how the resale value of cars like the Supra are ridiculously high for a car that stopped production in the late 90's?

Maybe the reason I dont like hyundai is because I was rear-ended by a gen 1 Tiburon which ended up totalling my car... or because the CEO was recently busted for embezzling millions of dollars... or because they are neither here or there as a company.
Old 06-07-06 | 02:47 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

I would hit that..........
Old 06-07-06 | 04:46 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Now what does Toyota have to compete?
Old 07-21-06 | 12:18 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like a freshening only

Quick Reply: 2007/8 Hyundai Tiburon?......Sharkie's Back!!!!