Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Maxima - Deadliest mid sized car of 2005

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-05, 01:49 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Nissan Maxima - Deadliest mid sized car of 2005

If someone finds a link, please post it.

EDIT: It was the national traffic and saftey administration who conducted the tests.

Watching world news tonight on CBS, I overheard the auto reports while working. In mid sized cars, the 2005 Nissan Maxima scored the lowest of all midsized cars in side impact safety. (I don't recall this being an issue on the new GS, which has been compared to the Maxima).

Someone from the auto crash test world that does all the tests (NTSA) conducted their yearly crash tests and found that passengers were most vulnerable in all mid sized cars while driving the 2005 Nissan Maxima. The lack of side impact saftey was so great there may be changes in the near future.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 06-06-05 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-06-05, 05:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Gotta remember, though.................legally a mid-size car, by government standards, is determined by interior volume, not exterior length or width. The Toyota Prius, with its space efficiency, by the EPA is considered a mid-size car like the Maxima even though it is markedly smaller on the outside than a Maxima. That is why I take the results of these tests sometimes with a grain of salt....often times you end up comparing apples and oranges when you meant to do apples and apples. However, the Maxima's poor showing (especially compared to the much smaller Prius) is still worth noting.
Old 06-06-05, 06:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

5 mid-sized cars TEST RESULTS
Old 06-06-05, 06:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Nice post, Amethy.
Looks like most, if not all of the cars in this test were more or less the same exterior size.
I would have expected Volvo to have been the clear winner but Audi has made many improvements in the last several years.

Also would have also been interesting to see how the Mercedes C or E-Classes...another nameplate known for safety....would have done in this group.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-06-05 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-06-05, 07:22 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default 2004-2005 Maxima with standard side airbags

INJURY MEASURES:

DRIVER Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. A left leg fracture also would be possible.

REAR PASSENGER Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.

HEAD PROTECTION:

DRIVER The dummy's head was protected from hitting any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.

REAR PASSENGER The dummy's head was protected from hitting any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof. /end

Link : http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_rat...ide/s0510.htm#
Old 06-06-05, 08:52 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I guess the VQ is useless if the whole car is broad sided. I'm sure Nissan North America has sent out a rebuttal letter saying the IIHS' tests are biased.
Old 06-06-05, 10:03 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that most manufacturers have the frontal impact tests taken care of, side impacts are the next area of concern. When purchasing a new car, side impact airbags (curtain + torso) are definately worth the investment. Its a shame though, in Canada most Toyota vehicles only offer side impact airbags on the top trim of the model (usually the XLE). For instance, if you wanted side airbags on a Sienna, you would have to get the XLE at ~$50000, whereas the Oddessy has them standard on the base model at ~32000. Something Toyota should definately pay attention to.
Old 06-06-05, 10:23 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by flipside909
I guess the VQ is useless if the whole car is broad sided. I'm sure Nissan North America has sent out a rebuttal letter saying the IIHS' tests are biased.
actually their response was "Our car performs to at least goverment standards".
Old 06-06-05, 02:16 PM
LexFather

The previous Maximas, not a coincidence, built in Japan, are built pretty damn solid. The new one is really a cheap, Lexus look, whale. Has anyone here sat inside let alone driven one? For $30,000, its almost laughable. The doors are as solid as paper, the plastic as thick as a condom on the dash. Nissan's profit on this car must be incredible. Its a large Altima chassis, same engine, almost no improvement in build quality. I just want to knowing this is what a "Maxima" is. THe name "Maxima" used to really mean something. Nissan has just crapped all over those loyal fans/owners with this barge.

Old 06-07-05, 11:45 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

True that, mike!
Old 06-08-05, 11:39 AM
LT. LEX
Lead Lap

The Maxima guys are pretty bummed about the news....

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=408886
Old 08-05-05, 05:25 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by LT. LEX
The Maxima guys are pretty bummed about the news....

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=408886
Well, with good reason though.
Old 08-05-05, 08:53 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

off topic but regarding the 05 Maxima, has anyone noticed how low the car looks because of how small the wheel gaps are stock? I must admit I'm a bit jealous of that(and only that )
Old 08-05-05, 08:57 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The previous Maximas, not a coincidence, built in Japan, are built pretty damn solid. The new one is really a cheap, Lexus look, whale. Has anyone here sat inside let alone driven one? For $30,000, its almost laughable. The doors are as solid as paper, the plastic as thick as a condom on the dash. Nissan's profit on this car must be incredible. Its a large Altima chassis, same engine, almost no improvement in build quality. I just want to knowing this is what a "Maxima" is. THe name "Maxima" used to really mean something. Nissan has just crapped all over those loyal fans/owners with this barge.
At least the Maxima forum's got a good smiley for your new gang, Sick. So what name are you gonna give him?
Old 08-05-05, 09:47 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Nissan needs to get over it and make the Maxima a RWD...

Quick Reply: Nissan Maxima - Deadliest mid sized car of 2005